colon cleanser and protein shakes

loosec1974
on 9/3/15 4:12 pm - Chicago, IL

Does anyone know of a safe colon cleanser? I clean my digestive tract once a month and I don't want to mess anything up I haven't done it since I had the sleeve. Are you still supposed to be drinking protein shakes after being thirteen weeks out

hollykim
on 9/3/15 5:56 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 3, 2015 at 4:12 PM Pacific Time, loosec1974 wrote:

Does anyone know of a safe colon cleanser? I clean my digestive tract once a month and I don't want to mess anything up I haven't done it since I had the sleeve. Are you still supposed to be drinking protein shakes after being thirteen weeks out

there is no safe colon cleanser and our colons are self cleaning anyway. 

rocky513
on 9/3/15 6:01 pm - WI

Our bodies are "self-cleaning".  There is no reason for a colon cleanse and they are not safe.  They can alter the good bacteria in our gut that are required for good digestion.  

As for the protein shakes... that depends on whether or not you are able to eat enough protein (in food form) to meet your protein goals.  If you can, then you don't need the shakes.  If you can't eat enough volume to get to at least 80 grams of protein daily, then you need the shakes.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

loosec1974
on 9/3/15 6:03 pm - Chicago, IL

Ok thanks I don't eat enough so I better start drinking the protein shakes again 

michele1
on 9/4/15 5:55 am
Revision on 07/07/15

I've always had a shake in the morning even before the band and sleeve especially after my workout. My surgeons paperwork says none after the post surgical phases unless you need it to get your protein in so I asked and he said that for most people they aren't as filling as solid food and some people tend to eat more. But he said I could have one because for me they fill me and it is something that I've always done and I include a lot of spinach or other greens helps me get in some much needed veggies.

Like the above posters mention colons don't need cleansing, now I may have a tea called smooth move once a week if needed for constipation but thats all. Colons only need cleansing for colonoscopies or other diagnostic testing. Now pro and prebiotics help with colon health as do fiber also sugars and processed foods aren't good so should be eliminated.

I am a colon cancer survivor so I take care of what I have left lol..... eating right, moderate exercise no smoking and maintaining a healthy weight are the best things you can do for your colon!!!! Oh and routine colonoscopies

Ok off my colon soapbox LOL

Lapband 6/08 90 pounds lost!  Band slip and esophageal dilation diagnosed 5/15

LapBand removed, hernia repaired and sleeved 7/8/15

(deactivated member)
on 9/4/15 7:36 am
RNY on 05/04/15

Like above posters said, there is no such thing as a safe colon cleanser if you value your gut microbiome. There is also no such thing as a necessary colon cleanser.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views