Protein Suggestions

Luisa728
on 9/8/15 12:03 pm

Hey fellow sleevers,

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on veggies that are high in protein or foods that have high proteins? So I can slowly lean away from meals like Lean Cuisine & Smart Ones. Even though my surgeon allows them in my diet I just want to make sure that I know what veggies & fruit can give me the same amount of proteins those meals have. Please help. I want to start this journey with the proper knowledge so I can make sure I am successful.

Thank you for any help & information you can provide me with!

Luisa

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/8/15 12:16 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

The only fruits/veggies that contain protein are beans and lentils. To get your protein in, you'll want to look at meat, dairy, and meat substitutes (tofu, veggie burgers, etc.).

To be considered a good source of protein-- and Lean Cuisine's are NOT-- you'll need at least 10g protein for every 100 calories.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Luisa728
on 9/8/15 12:48 pm
Thank you for the insight! :)
mickeymantle
on 9/8/15 12:21 pm - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

grilled tilopia is great and gordens makes a good one that is pre portioned and in a paper bag you just throw it into the toaster over and its don't quickly a, taste great high in protein, and easy to make and low cal 

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

David F.
on 9/8/15 2:25 pm - Henderson, NV

Only thing I can think of is beans and tofu. If you like tofu.

Daveo

Surgery: Feb 9, 2015   HW: 517SW: 467

Luisa728
on 9/8/15 2:33 pm

I've never had it. Everyone I ask on how it taste they tell me like dirt. It's bland & tasteless is what they tell me. I wouldn't mind trying it; but I don't want to waste money on a pack of tofu which is expensive in my area of I won't end up liking it.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/8/15 2:47 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Tofu takes on the flavor of whatever you cook it in. On its own, I agree that it's kind of gross, but if you use some sort of sauce it can be really good. I've had a stir-fry with firm tofu and veggies with a Thai sauce (can't remember the kind, it came from a jar at the grocery store) and it was really good!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Luisa728
on 9/8/15 2:52 pm

Thanks for the suggestion & the idea of spicing it up with maybe a stir fry or a sauce. I actually wasn't thinking of doing it like that. Thanks again :)

psychoticparrot
on 9/8/15 2:53 pm

Look online for tofu recipes. If you eat it plain, yes, of course it's yukky. But its value is in its ability to absorb the flavors of other ingredients. I often have it for breakfast, but it needs preparation to be tasty. The night before, I place the amount I'm going to eat in a ziploc with a little soy sauce and water, minced garlic, and some grated fresh gingerroot. In the morning I remove the tofu, discard the marinade, press the tofu in paper towels to remove excess liquid, then lightly brown the tofu on both sides in a bit of butter or oil. Delish! I prefer simple preparations like this, but if you like to cook, you can gussie up your tofu as much as you like. You can also substitute some tofu for meat in soups and stews. If you're willing to experiment, you'll find ways to enjoy tofu.

psychoticparrot

Luisa728
on 9/8/15 2:58 pm

I love this idea & I have never tried tofu so having these suggestions I definitely have to try they way you make it. I'll research some recipes on tofu to see how I can fall in love with didn't way on spicing it up. Thanks for all you help & ideas!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 101 views