I am doing this!

C J
on 9/12/15 8:07 pm - , TN

Surgery in December!!!!!  I am ready.  As a previous band patient, please TELL ME ANY REGRETS YOU HAVE WITH THE SLEEVE!!!! I simply want to be completely prepared.

Living > Existing

256/231/135

joatsaint
on 9/12/15 8:22 pm - TX

Regrets? I don't have any. I do wish I had had this surgery 28 years ago.

I feel like I wasted so much of my life being fat.

But I made a deal with myself when I committed to WLS.

I agreed to do anything and go through anything to get my life back and be successful at WLS.

My best advice is to read the forum every day, you will see everyone has the same fears, doubts and questions.

No one can ever be completely prepared for surgery.

The one piece of advice I can offer is; build your confidence that this is going to work. If you follow your doctor's guidelines for life after WLS, you will succeed.

Oh, and take your favorite pillow with you to the hospital, I wish I had! It would have made sleeping and the ride home so much better.

If you have any questions, you can PM me. I enjoy paying it forward - for all the help and support I received - to all the up and coming Sleevers.

Free ebook - The Top 10 Weight Loss Surgery Fears and How to Kick Their Butt!

Check out my Youtube channel where I answer your Most Frequently Asked Questions.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Frankensleeve/videos

C J
on 9/12/15 10:04 pm - , TN

Thank You so much!  I had lap band surgery in 08, and it was Hell.  I certainly hope this is far better than that.  From what i have read, the sleeve is what the band was supposed to be.  I am very excited, but I definitely want to go into this with my eyes wide open.

Living > Existing

256/231/135

Sunshine411
on 9/22/15 8:44 am

I am just one week post op..but have a few questions.  First, when it says you can have oatmeal 3/4T is that after you have cooked it?  It says to make runny.  Second,  I'm to up my water to 40-50 oz a day starting today n take vitamins n calcium...when I add extra water to oatmeal does it count as part of water or only water your actually drinking?  Third, I ordered Unjurt chicken broth, but not sure now how to count it...one cup of water n one scoop of protein chipcken broth...is this a water?  It has 21 proteins should I not drink it?  I'm only expected to get 30 proteins now n with my one shake I sip on through out day between meals that's 24 proteins n meals I get the rest (6).  Silly questions I'm sure but didn't know.  I can have a soft egg starting today so if I scramble with water do I eat what it makes or measure out four T? Ty...

joatsaint
on 9/22/15 10:56 am - TX
On September 22, 2015 at 8:44 AM Pacific Time, Sunshine411 wrote:

I am just one week post op..but have a few questions.  First, when it says you can have oatmeal 3/4T is that after you have cooked it?  It says to make runny.  Second,  I'm to up my water to 40-50 oz a day starting today n take vitamins n calcium...when I add extra water to oatmeal does it count as part of water or only water your actually drinking?  Third, I ordered Unjurt chicken broth, but not sure now how to count it...one cup of water n one scoop of protein chipcken broth...is this a water?  It has 21 proteins should I not drink it?  I'm only expected to get 30 proteins now n with my one shake I sip on through out day between meals that's 24 proteins n meals I get the rest (6).  Silly questions I'm sure but didn't know.  I can have a soft egg starting today so if I scramble with water do I eat what it makes or measure out four T? Ty...

Hey Sunshine411,

There are no silly questions. There's a lot to learn post-op.

And with all the differing recommended diets from each WLS surgeon, it can be a bit confusing.

So going by my doctor's guidelines:

When measuring anything, if it says Tablespoon, Teaspoon... I measure it before cooking.

When it comes to water, I count almost anything that has water in it.

Especially if it something like fruit or vegetables that are known to be 80 - 90% water.

When I eat Jell-O, I count the water in that as well. I count the water in protein shakes/Crystal Light/frozen Popsicles too.

If I were shooting for 50oz of water a day, and I knew I had drank 30 - 40oz, then I wouldn't feel uncomfortable about counting the water in food as part of the 50oz.

I would count the water added to my Unjury chicken broth. And don't worry about the extra protein, drink up. :-)

Overall, I would be conservative on my water count and the water in food would be an added bonus to make up for any shortfall.

If I were you, I'd ask your doctor or NUT about your recommended daily protein intake.

I was expected to build up to 80 grams of protein/day.

30 grams seems a bit low, unless you are an especially small framed person.

Scrambled eggs - if you can eat an entire egg, go ahead. I couldn't eat an entire egg for months, eggs were especially hard on Frankensleeve.

Most of the time, I'd take 1 bite of egg and Frankensleeve would feel like he was twisting into knots.

If I can be of any more help, please let me know.

- Randy

Check out my Youtube channel where I answer your Most Frequently Asked Questions.

Sunshine411
on 9/22/15 1:08 pm

Thanks.i know I'm being paranoid probably but I feel like I have had no appetite but when I do eat the 2-3T I have no problem like no feelings of knots...no fullness in chest...nothing...so I'm worried this didn't work....lol.  I ate 4T oatmeal with water runny this morning had 2 oz protein drink in between breakfast n lunch...have drank 32 oz water so far and ate an egg for lunch (first time) and no problems...shouldn't I be having trouble getting fluids in n food?  From what I read everyone does..so I keep thinking this didn't work for me.  I get staples out Friday so I will see what Dr says I just find it strange.  I only loss 3…4 pounds this week being my first post op n week before I loss 8.2 on preop liquid diet so total of 11.4 doesn't seem to good to me compared to others.  I have 70 to lose.  Thanks for your help! 

joatsaint
on 9/22/15 9:25 pm, edited 9/22/15 9:25 pm - TX

Losing 3 - 4lbs a week is great. Just remember your stomach and abdomen are swollen with fluids from the trauma of surgery.

I didn't lose a single pound for several days. The fluids had to flush out of my tissues first. 

If you're losing weight and have your eating under control, I think the surgery worked! :-)

It sounds like you are doing great.

Everyone has a different experience - eating post-op.

Lots of people have posted that they had a great recovery and were able to eat almost anything with no problem.

My experience was a rough one.

But don't worry about it if you're not having problems retraining your new tummy to eat. That's a good thing. :-)

When you transition to solid food - stuff that's not thinned with water - beef, chicken, pork - I'd be willing to bet that you will start feeling the restriction, since these foods will not pass through your stomach as fast as scrambled eggs or runny oatmeal.

I never felt a restriction during my initial 2 weeks post-op. Liquids have never filled me up.

One thing I did think about - your recommended protein intake. Is it possible that what you think is the max protein intake is actually the minimum they want you to eat?

Tracy S.
on 9/12/15 9:07 pm

Had my surgery Monday, August 31st.  I'm almost 2 weeks out and I'd do it again tomorrow.  No regrets.  I feel amazing!  I'm down 14 lbs and even tired from the surgery I feel like I have more energy than before it.  The pain is minimal and if you follow your liquid diet you will be just fine.  Good luck!

Sunshine411
on 9/13/15 11:20 am

That's wgphat I am worried about the pain...I have mine done this coming Tuesday...nervous but ready had a band removed back in April due to complications have gained all my weight back and look forward to getting it back off and reaching a lower goal then I did with band.  Did you drink water n protein drinks in between first week?  Curious.  Any vomiting?  Trouble going to bathroom?  Walk right away and still walking? How much?  

Tracy S.
on 9/13/15 11:34 am

When I spoke to my surgeon we talked about all 3 surgeries..band, sleeve and bypass.  He said that the band is not something he even will do anymore because it leaves the site open where they fill it (?) and it's prone to infection.  He talked about lots of complications.  You will be so pleasantly surprised at how little pain you have!!!  Everyone is different but I have yet to talk to anyone who's had it and hear they were in any pain really.  My best friend, cousin and hospital roommate and I have talked about how crazy it is that they can do this surgery and you walk out of the hospital pretty pain free...or on tylenol.  I did drink water and protein drinks (premier protein..yummy and thin like skim milk) the first week home, yes.  I had a real hard time getting the water down.  I was drinking from a bottle and could only get a half a bottle in all day.  I called my surgeon who said to add crystal light to it and put it in a GLASS and that was it!  I can now get all my liquids in pretty much every day.  NO vomiting...you have to make sure you sip slow though.  I chugged my protein drink one morning because I slept late and was hungry and boy it was uncomfortable for a few minutes.  Sip slow and it's fine.  I didn't go to the bathroom for a solid week.  I started getting nervous but the nurse on the way out the door said "mind your farts...one of them may not be a fart"  hahaha.  I kept that in mind and one day I felt VERY gassy and went into the bathroom and went quite a bit.  From that day on I go every 2 days or so.  No issues at all.  I didn't push my walking the first week home.  I walked around the house to help digest the protein drinks but really didn't go crazy walking.  I started this week on treadmill for 2 / 5 / 10 / then 15 mins.  (then was lazy for 2 days...hah).  I do what I can when I can.  I'm 47, tired and still heavy.  It will come.  It gets easier as the weight comes off for sure.  I have an iphone and discovered the health app.  It tells you how many steps you've taken.  I eyeball it occasionally but really just do what I feel like I can within my comfort level.  You will not be sorry...really please be assured this surgery is not bad.  I wish I had found this site previous to my surgery.  I was so very scared.  Piece of cake..I'd do it again tomorrow.  You will rock this and be on your way to a new and better YOU!  Good luck!!!!!

Most Active