Military after VGS?

Meghan91
on 10/8/15 4:15 am

I got really excited the other day thinking I could achieve my dreams of joining the Nurse Corps and serving my county after I finally lose weight (haven't had the surgery yet). I started looking into it, and many people posted on these and other boards stating hey were denied entrance to the armed forces due to having had weight loss surgery. I also read on these boards that people got letters from their physicians stating it was safe for them to go into military service after their surgery. But I haven't met or seen any follow up postings from people who successfully go from bariatric surgery to the military. Has anybody had the VSG and was then able to enter into the military?

White Dove
on 10/8/15 8:44 am - Warren, OH

The military will not allow you to join and will discharge a current member of the military who has weight loss surgery.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

mickeymantle
on 10/8/15 9:10 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

you would not be able to eat right in combat and all military has to be ready for combat , there are all these rules , you need 3 natural teeth

your eye sight without glasses must meet a minimum , the size of you shoes and cloth must be in a surtain range

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/8/15 11:17 am
RNY on 08/05/19

WLS is a medical disqualification. Per the official list of DQ's:

• Obesity, intestinal bypass surgery for treatment thereof, all types.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

-Flo-
on 10/8/15 1:43 pm
DS on 04/11/16

Sorry but its a no go. The military does not allow it.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views