day 13 still vomiting.

giselle123
on 10/7/15 6:03 pm

Hey all,

First off thanks to everyone *****ad and replied to my first post several days ago about not being able to stop barfing. I ended up going to the e.r. the other day and was given 3 liters of fluids via I.V. and some anti nausea meds. Anyhoo, today has been more of the same, i was able to keep down about half a can of chicken broth and two teaspoons of yogurt...thats all. i keep throwing up and everything makes me puke. what the heck? i cant even drink more than 20 oz of water a day. no matter what! how long is this going to last. according to my doctors i should already be eating tuna fish, cottage cheese, runny eggs, boiled mashed potatos, pureed beans etc....i cant even eat a popsicle without throwing up. whats going on?

Laura R.
on 10/7/15 12:25 pm

Oh man that sounds awful! I am two days out of surgery and I can't keep anything down either. I can't imagine doing that for 13 days! I'll pray for you that things improve!!!

psychoticparrot
on 10/7/15 9:36 pm

Have you talked to your surgeon about this? Constant vomiting can injure your sleeve. If your anti-nausea meds aren't working, even more reason to call your surgeon. ER docs don't know everything about the sleeve. You need your surgeon's help.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

ocean4dlm
on 10/8/15 2:34 am - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

Try your water at different temperatures: warm, room temperature, cold. Popsicles made me vomit every time I took a bite through two months, when I gave up ? Do contact your surgeon. Things will get better.

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

Valerie G.
on 10/8/15 5:27 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

The ER's job is to stablize you and they did their job. They will not probe for the cause like your surgeon will. This is NOT normal by any description, so you need to get to the bottom of it.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

White Dove
on 10/8/15 5:28 am - Warren, OH

Some people heal faster than others. It seems you are still swollen inside and your body is not ready yet for food. The dehydration is making it worse. Right now your job needs to be drinking water.

Set a timer for 10 minutes and slowly sip one ounce of water. I used a shot glass. Do this all day and after 12 hours you will have taken in 72 ounces. When you are no longer dehydrated the vomiting and nausea should go away.

Talk to your surgeon about this. There are surgeons that keep people on clear liquid for weeks and there are surgeons that allow tuna fish after a few days. It is also possible to develop a stricture. That is when the healing wound closes too much and a stricture needs to be opened up again by a surgeon. Probably not but you do need to let the surgeon know what is happening.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Sandra F.
on 10/8/15 6:00 am

I was dehydrated in the month after surgery and this can cause nausea, so do everything you can to up your liquid in-take. Other than that, I agree with consulting your surgeon as this isn't normal.

emelar
on 10/8/15 8:45 am - TX

First, call your surgeon and let him know what's going on.

Second, focus on liquids. Don't worry that you're not progressing according to the plan. Your stomach isn't ready to progress, no matter how much your head would like to! As others have suggested, try different temperatures. Get a tablespoon and feed yourself liquids using the tablespoon - tiny amounts. Get some pedialyte or gatorade to provide an extra boost. Chances are your stomach is just unusually swollen and its taking its own sweet time getting back to normal.

-Flo-
on 10/8/15 8:55 am
DS on 04/11/16

What did your surgeon say? I hope you feel better!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 70 views