How much did you all lose on average by 7 weeks out?

Grim_Traveller
on 10/11/15 8:26 am
RNY on 08/21/12

You should read more literature on adaptive thermogenesis. You will burn fewer calories as you lose weight, but mostly because you weigh less, and require fewer calories. It has zero to do with starvation. A 200 pound person burns fewer calories than a 300 pound person.

Scientific studies show that adaptive thermogenesis has almost no effect on the obese. Fat exists to feed us when we don't eat. That's a fact. At low body fat percentages, your body will reduce your metabolism to compensate. But for men, the science shows that adaptive thermogenesis accounts for about a 15 percent reduction of your metabolism at 5 percent bodyfat. None of us will ever approach 5 percent bodyfat.

Everyone will continue to lose weight, right up until they die. Your metabolism will not slow for a long, long time. I'very seen lots of people use the starvation mode defense to justify eating more. They never reach goal, then complain that their surgery failed them, or they are special snowflakes and aren't able to lose weight, no matter how little they eat. It's just nonsense.

Doctors and nutritionists know squat about nutrition where the obese are concerned. People are lazy, and repeat old wives' tales, like stories of never losing weight on low calories. Eat more to avoid the starvation mode bogeyman if you want to. But you'll end up pissed off because you ate your way through your honeymoon period. Good luck.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Billy D.
on 10/11/15 9:25 am

You are correct that the term "starvation response" is really a bad one, sort of like Global Warming when they should have named it Man Made Climate Change but that is an altogether different issue but I don't consider it an old wives tale either. Numerous scientific studies do conclude that our body actually does fight the "cure" of reduced calorie intake. A good example is in this summary from a 2010 study on subject.

"Attempts to sustain weight loss invoke adaptive responses involving the coordinate actions of metabolic, neuroendocrine, autonomic, and behavioral changes that "oppose" the maintenance of a reduced body weight. This phenotype is distinct from that opposing dynamic weight loss per se. The multiplicity of systems regulating energy stores and opposing the maintenance of a reduced body weight illustrate that body energy stores in general and fat stores in particular are actively "defended" by interlocking bioenergetic and neurobiological physiologies. Important inferences can be drawn for therapeutic strategies by recognizing obesity as a state in which the human body actively opposes the "cure" over long periods of time beyond the initial resolution of symptomatology.Attempts to sustain weight loss invoke adaptive responses involving the coordinate actions of metabolic, neuroendocrine, autonomic, and behavioral changes that "oppose" the maintenance of a reduced bodyweight. This phenotype is distinct from that opposing dynamic weight loss per se. The multiplicity of systems regulating energy stores and opposing the maintenance of a reduced body weight illustrate that body energy stores in general and fat stores in particular are actively "defended" by interlocking bioenergetic and neurobiological physiologies. Important inferences can be drawn for therapeutic strategies by recognizing obesity as a state in which the human body actively opposes the "cure" over long periods of time beyond the initial resolution of symptomatology."

Here is another study

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v31/n2/full/0803523a.htmlhttp://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v31/n2/full/0803523a.html

I certainly think that there is evidence that this is the case with some folks. Have you ever dieted, lost weight and regained and than attempted that same diet but lost little or no weight. I think the adaptive response is responsible for some of this. I don't think that the majority of evidence shows that this has no effect but just the opposite. So I guess we agree to disagree. The body is a complicated system and just a reduced intake of calories isn't necessarily all it takes, especially in long term weight loss. If I knew the secret...I'd be a very wealthy man.

Grim_Traveller
on 10/12/15 7:52 am
RNY on 08/21/12

There is no secret. None. If you eat fewer calories than you burn, you lose weight. We all know how extremely difficult eating less can be. That's what is so difficult to figure our. But the whole eating less, lose weight thing? It's really easy, really basic.

Have people dieted, lost weight, regained, had a hard time losing, etc etc. Of course. But not because they altered their metabolism. Because they eat too much, and because they usually have no idea just how much they really are eating.

I have yet to see a single study on adaptive thermogenesis and weight loss surgery. The rules are not the same for us. We had metabolic surgery. The only purely restrictive surgery is the band. We walk out of surgery with diabetes in remission and a host of other metabolic, endocrine, and hormonal changes. This is why WLS works, not just because we can eat less.

I can show you dozens of studies off of pubmed that say starvation mode is nonsense, but you are way past listening. If you want to follow a nutritionist's advice and eat more, please go right ahead. But eating more will not help you maintain a higher metabolism and lose more weight.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Billy D.
on 10/12/15 8:22 am

Who says I want to eat more? I just think that going too long without food is not good and I see countless testimonials from people who diet that tell you same thing. I just think spreading out your intake is much better than eating one or two meals a day. My advice was to just make sure you eat your 3 meals a day and not to skip them and then make up for it later. Since most folks who get this surgery lose a large part of their appetite they might want to skip meals and think that is going to make them lose more weight. I don't think that is a good idea. But eating more is not at all what I would suggest, that would defeat the purpose. I hope my Diabetes goes into remission but so far it hasn't but it's just the beginning ...still on the Victoza which by the way before my surgery I lost almost 30 lbs as it made me feel full and the makers say it delays the stomach from emptying which I am not sure if that is a good or bad thing but after years on Proton pump inhibitors I don't think I was getting all the nutrients in my food that I should have and frequently had food in stool. I hope that goes away too but haven't had a bowel movement yet. I absolutely believe that less intake equals more weight loss. Just as less intake in and more energy out will lead to weight loss. I am never past listening and am always open to learn new things. I will listen to every side of the story even if it is one sided or narrow minded(not you). I even watch Fox news from time to time! lol. Thanks for your reply.

Lgbaus
on 10/12/15 8:52 am

I am actually glad to see this post. I had went in for the ruin y but had a tumor and polyp so they had to do the sleeve. Its been exactly one week. I went in at 204 and came out at 218.5. I was really confused as to how I gained that weight especially since I was on that liquid diet two weeks before. Now the fluids make sense. Go for my check up on Thursday!! Thank you!!

msfitzy
on 10/12/15 6:18 am
with

I am 8 weeks out today and as of this morning, I have lost 33 pounds since surgery (61 total). So I would say you are right on track.

Age: 35 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 08/17/15 | Starting Weight: 307 | Surgery Weight: 279 | Goal Weight:150 | Current Weight: 212 | WL so far: 95 lbs

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

mmb2003
on 10/12/15 1:46 pm

At 7 weeks out I was down 50lbs. If I've learned anything from these forums I've learned that everyone loses at a different rate but it seems to equal out down the road. Good luck!

--Meg

VSG 8/11/15 HW: 272.5 PreOp: -17.5 M1: -20.8 M2: -15.0 TWL: -55.1 CW: 217.4

1st Goal: 225 9/27/15 2nd Goal: 200 3rd Goal: 170