One week after VSG... how much should I have lost?

Tired_of_Weighting
on 11/3/15 7:45 pm

Yesterday, was one week since I had my VSG surgery. I am wondering how much weight loss I should expect to see on average the first week or each week during the first few months. I can't help getting on the scale daily and hoping to see the weight falling off quicker than it is. I also, have been on the full liquid diet since 48 hrs. post surgery and am concentrating on getting my vitamins, water, and protein. No problems yet! Just don't know how many calories I should be consuming per day during this phase? Thanks for the help! :)

Minkey
on 11/3/15 9:00 pm

Each person is different, depending on activity levels, the amount and type of nutrition you've had and any physical problems you may have (diabetes, etc). I thought I wasn't losing enough either, but ended up with my surgeon saying he was proud of what I had done. I think I've averaged about 4 pounds a week, and at 13 weeks out, I'm down 50 pounds from surgery. Don't stress over the amount you've lost because it's more than you would have done on your own. It took me a lot of years to put it on, and it should take me some time to take it off.

steelergal
on 11/4/15 12:44 am

I am also down one week from surgery amd I have lost 17 pounds but im very active some say to active but my doctor is really proud of me and sayes im doing everything right so as long as he is good you should be as well,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ENJOY EACH AND EVERYDAY OF THE REST OF THIS AMAZING LIFE YOUR ABOUT TO HAVE. I KNOW I AM.

happyteacher
on 11/4/15 3:03 am

I know it is so tempting to compare, wonder, etc. Try not to. You were pumped full of fluids in the hospital so that can skew things this early out. Additionally, it has IMHO more to do with the percentage of excess weight that you need to lose, and not the pounds. For example, I needed to lose 150 and 10% of this would be 15 pounds. We are more likely to hover around the same percentage than the same number of pounds. Those with a lot to lose put up bigger numbers pound wise than the light weights in other words. Check my ticker for the progress. I did not have any one huge month, but that cumulative total is where it is at!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

pec21
on 11/4/15 6:30 am
VSG on 12/02/15

Just wondering what a lightweight would be considered (percentage-wise). Thanks.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGVxuqk/]
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/t/wGVxuqk/weight.png[/img]
[/url]

Daelcare
on 11/4/15 6:33 am - Easley, SC
VSG on 10/27/14

A light weight is someone who has less than 100 pounds to lose....at least that's my understanding!

5'5" 64 year old; HW 219; SW 199; CW 129; GW 145ish (original)...now on to "ideal" (138)...got that...now a few spare (132)...got that one, too! Now for the 120's!! Made them...now for the "dream" weight...125! Well, that one's proving to be a little tougher!

White Dove
on 11/4/15 3:50 am - Warren, OH

There are all the variables, but five pounds is a good ballpark guess.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

jdsiowa
on 11/4/15 6:58 am

I'm 9 days out and feel like nothing is happening! I'm only down 8 pounds since surgery day. Following plan and expected better results! Hoping my body gets through the shock factor soon!

Billy D.
on 11/4/15 7:38 am

I don't know what your diet plan is but the one the surgeon gave me is about 550-800 calories a day, the 1st phase on the lower end. I lost 9 lbs the 1st week another 13lbs the 2nd week, nothing on the third week it was up than down a pound or two. It is now 2 days short of one month and I have lost 28 lbs since the surgery and 35 lbs since pre-op. It has gotten a lot easier now that I am on the soft protein stage. It was worth it just for the fact that the 28lbs I lost has also "cured" my diabetes and high blood pressure and the arthritis in hips is so much better and now I am walking every day without pain. Before this I was on 3 diabetes meds two blood pressure meds and painkillers for arthritis now on just 1 bp med. Good luck!

(deactivated member)
on 11/4/15 8:29 am
RNY on 05/04/15

To be "normal," at a week out you should be somewhere between having lost 30 lbs and having gained 10.

Seriously, everyone is different, and weight loss =/= fat loss, especially when you've just been pumped full of IV fluids and your body is trying to heal from surgery.

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 62 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 244 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 312 views