2 weeks post op

cappy11448
on 11/30/15 7:01 pm

Did you try chicken or beef broth with unflavored protein powder?  I couldn't tolerate sweet shakes at all after surgery, so chicken broth was a life-saver.

I hope you feel better soon. 

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

CALINATE
on 11/30/15 7:06 pm - Opp, AL
VSG on 11/17/15

I have not. I did not even know that there was unflavored powder until today. Do you have a recommendation of a good one?also I can't handle the broths too much grease. Would boullion do? Thanks for the help. 

cappy11448
on 12/1/15 6:06 am

I used unjury which I ordered on line from unjury.com. bullion  should do fine, but I used the swansons chicken broth that is sold in cardboard containers.  Unjury makes a chicken flavored protein powder.  You can buy individual packets to try it so you don't need to buy a big container to find you don't tolerate it.

You have to be careful not to make the broth too hot (less than 140 degrees), or the protein powder will denature and clump. 

Kairk just posted that he couldn't tolerate the unflavored protein powder, which reminds me there is no one right answer.  we all respond differently.

best of luck.  Hopefully this will pass soon.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

CALINATE
on 12/1/15 9:06 am - Opp, AL
VSG on 11/17/15

Thank you so much for your help

(deactivated member)
on 11/30/15 7:09 pm

It's amazing how different we all are. I had stocked up on unflavored protein powder and I couldn't use it. I got so queasy by the taste and texture of it when added to things I thought would be okay - soups, broth, Crystal light, etc...

The worst was putting it in sugar free pudding!  Soups were pretty bad, too.

Thank goodness I was able to tolerate the chocolate shakes just fine. That's what was my life line those first weeks! 

psychoticparrot
on 12/1/15 3:08 pm

I didn't have much pain post-op, but oh my lord, did I have nausea! Couldn't get in nearly enough to drink, and the protein -- forget about it! 

Like you, I called my surgeon's office at 3 weeks post-op, described my symptoms, and was told, again like you, that "it's normal." "Normal" my ass! A week of more suffering later, I was in the ER with severe dehydration and a kidney infection. I recovered with IV fluids and antibiotics and was sent home. Another week of suffering later, in the ER again with severe dehydration. That was it -- I was furious now! I sent my surgeon a nasty email about ignoring my symptoms and their consequences. Within hours, I had a scrip for Zofran to control the nausea. It made all the difference. It turned my recovery around and I got back to normal in another few weeks.

My point? Get on the phone and make your doctor aware that you are in miserable pain and nausea and that you need help NOW! Tell him/her that you need meds for pain relief and for nausea NOW. There is absolutely no reason to suffer needlessly!

It steams me up when patients endure in misery what could be easily controlled if doctors would just take their patients seriously!

It's very small comfort now, Calinate, but you will get better (I could throttle your doctor, though).

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

CALINATE
on 12/1/15 6:19 pm - Opp, AL
VSG on 11/17/15

Thank you very much. Saw my personal doctor today she gave me phenergan and it has helped tremendously. She also did some blood work and I'll know more in the morning. The site where the drain was in my abdomen is very infected and the cause of about 85% of my problems. I have a script for antibiotic liquids and a wonderful couple of shots today. Hopefully I should start feeling better in a couple of days. 

psychoticparrot
on 12/1/15 7:25 pm

I'm so glad to hear that! Please post again in a few days to let us know how you're doing.

psychoticparrot

CALINATE
on 12/1/15 7:37 pm - Opp, AL
VSG on 11/17/15

I will and once again thank you very much!

mictariam7
on 12/4/15 3:26 am

My surgeon prescribed omeprazole for me to take postop and gave me the rx prior to surgery so that I could get that filled along with my pain meds.  That way I was sure to have it when I got home after surgery.  I take 1 omeprazole a night and have had little to no nausea.  Maybe you could ask your doctor to prescribe something like that to help with the nausea.  I hope that helps. 

I hope you get some relief and feel better.

M

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views