Week 4: bloated, gassy, miserable

Autum1031
on 12/9/15 5:14 pm

Title says it all.  I feel like utter crap, and nothing my nutritionist is suggesting is working, so I'm turning to you all for advice.

I'm not tolerating any of the protein shakes or powders (I've tried milk based, whey, whey isolate, soy and egg based with no success).   I've even tried a few days recently with no "artificial" protein and attempted to get everything through my diet. Sadly, no luck.  I literally wake up bloated and gassy, spend much of the day running to the bathroom, and then go to bed bloated and gassy.   I'm having a terrible time getting my fluids in because I'm SO bloated all of the time, and when I do get on a roll (about 5 oz an hour), the bloating gets much worse and I start having random pains in my abdomen area - usually in 3 or 4 typical spots - which I assume is gas.  I'm still extremely fatigued (and I also have fibromyalgia) so I lack energy for a lot of exercise, but I do manage 15-20 min walks in a lap around my house.  The exercise always increases the gas and discomfort, and it's a standard joke in the house that I finish my walks by running to the bathroom.

At this point, I'm hovering around 50 oz of liquid a day, anywhere from 40-60 grams of protein, and 400 calories if I'm lucky.  Yesterday I managed to get in 57 oz, and went to bed feeling like I was about to explode.  I live on Gas X, even though I don't think it helps too much.    My nutritionist and doctor just keep giving me a variation of the "hang in there it gets better" speech, which I'm seriously doubting at this point. And considering I spend my entire day valiantly sipping liquids in an attempt to stay hydrated, if one more person tells me to "sip sip sip" I'm going to punch them in the face.  OK, I won't really, but I wish I could.

What does one do when you don't tolerate ANYthing?    "Going back" a week wouldn't help me at all; I was much sicker on the liquid only diet when I was forced to drink all of the shakes.   Does this truly, really, ever get better?   What else can I do, or try, to improve this situation?

kuhljeanie
on 12/9/15 5:45 pm

Have you been tested for underlying GI problems like SIBO or Candida? What you're describing sounds like one of those types of issues... especially since you've got an autoimmune condition. I'm just starting post-op myself and the only thing I can currently tolerate is collagen peptides dissolved in homemade broth. BUT - I knew going in that I had SIBO and had done some antimicrobial protocols just before. If it turns out that's also your issue, or you have something similar with a leaky gut, there's no shake on earth that won't mess you up.

hollykim
on 12/9/15 6:14 pm, edited 12/9/15 10:14 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 10, 2015 at 1:14 AM Pacific Time, Autum1031 wrote:

Title says it all.  I feel like utter crap, and nothing my nutritionist is suggesting is working, so I'm turning to you all for advice.

I'm not tolerating any of the protein shakes or powders (I've tried milk based, whey, whey isolate, soy and egg based with no success).   I've even tried a few days recently with no "artificial" protein and attempted to get everything through my diet. Sadly, no luck.  I literally wake up bloated and gassy, spend much of the day running to the bathroom, and then go to bed bloated and gassy.   I'm having a terrible time getting my fluids in because I'm SO bloated all of the time, and when I do get on a roll (about 5 oz an hour), the bloating gets much worse and I start having random pains in my abdomen area - usually in 3 or 4 typical spots - which I assume is gas.  I'm still extremely fatigued (and I also have fibromyalgia) so I lack energy for a lot of exercise, but I do manage 15-20 min walks in a lap around my house.  The exercise always increases the gas and discomfort, and it's a standard joke in the house that I finish my walks by running to the bathroom.

At this point, I'm hovering around 50 oz of liquid a day, anywhere from 40-60 grams of protein, and 400 calories if I'm lucky.  Yesterday I managed to get in 57 oz, and went to bed feeling like I was about to explode.  I live on Gas X, even though I don't think it helps too much.    My nutritionist and doctor just keep giving me a variation of the "hang in there it gets better" speech, which I'm seriously doubting at this point. And considering I spend my entire day valiantly sipping liquids in an attempt to stay hydrated, if one more person tells me to "sip sip sip" I'm going to punch them in the face.  OK, I won't really, but I wish I could.

What does one do when you don't tolerate ANYthing?    "Going back" a week wouldn't help me at all; I was much sicker on the liquid only diet when I was forced to drink all of the shakes.   Does this truly, really, ever get better?   What else can I do, or try, to improve this situation?

it does get better but. You need to make sure something you are trying to eat isn't causing the bloating/gas.

were you mixing all those shakes with milk? Many become lactose intolerant after surgery even if they weren't before. Did you try the egg protein with unsweetened almond milk,or water?

are you using artificial sweeteners or sugar alcohols like erythrotL ,malitol sucralose,etc?  They give many horrible gas post op,when they tolerated them before. 

There  is nothing about the surgery to cause this. It has to be something you are eating/ drinking.

what is a day's menu,including what you are drinking look like?

michellemj
on 12/10/15 8:52 am

It does get better, seriously.

Post what you are eating/drinking. and we can help you. As HollyKim said, lactose intolerance is real and some of us no longer tolerate milk, esp. our protein shakes.

Another thing, are you on a PPI? Also, papaya enzymes really helped me early postop so they may be worth a try for you as well.

(deactivated member)
on 12/10/15 4:19 pm

Im the oddball, i tolerate milk, but not whey, or egg so my saving grace was oikos zero smoothie with skim milk.

Duetoprivacy
on 12/11/15 5:40 pm

I'm sorry you're feeling so wretched. I promise that it will get better, and it sounds like maybe acid and nausea are part of this fresh hell that you're living. 

Is your prescribed antacid working? Do you have a prescription strength anti-nausea medication? The acid is a monster.

I also have come to loathe the phrase "sip, sip, sip". Solidarity, because platitudes are empty.

Autum1031
on 12/11/15 9:32 pm

Thanks for the replies.   I am on a high dosage of Prilosec, because I've had terrible acid reflux since Day 1 after surgery.  That at least has gotten better thanks to the meds, but I still cannot tolerate plain water as it gives me wickedly awful flares.

I do not drink regular milk-- I mix my protein shakes with unsweetened almond milk.  I tolerate the plain almond milk just fine; it's when I add the protein powders that I get sick.

Soy milk made me very, very ill, so I've avoided that like the plague.

Liquid-wise,  I bounce between flavored water (right now I'm trying Sobe) because I can't tolerate plain water;  Crystal Lite, chicken broth, almond milk, low-sodium V-8,  the occasional popsicle, and the Unjury chicken soup mix (which of course give me gas/ discomfort). 

Food wise I've tried very little.  So far what has worked well: Greek yogurt, low fat colby cheese, ground turkey, carrots, chicken.

The protein drinks/ powders I have tried so far are:

Premier

Muscle Milk

Unjury

Isopure

Musclegean

Jarrow

Jay Robb (egg based)

vrich
on 12/14/15 2:30 pm
with

I am in my 5th week post op and I have a hard time with protein drinks to and what worked for me was a chewable Probiotic. Its a digestive enzyme. I take one 15 min before any protein I have. worked great for me. Some fillers might bother you to. Do your home work on protein powder/drinks lots of crap out there, fillers, amino spiking, A good whey isolate is not cheap.

I hope this helps

Most Active