Feeling Run-Down and Can't Eat Enough

tonya2741
on 12/9/15 5:53 am

Hello, everyone. I'm 16 days post-op, and I've lost 26 lbs so far. The first 4 days after my surgery, I felt I'd made a huge mistake because I was in so much pain (I'm a big baby, though). By day 5, things started to settle down and I was feeling so good, I stopped taking my pain meds. I went back to work at my one week mark, and felt great - some pain, but nothing I couldn't handle. I was able to start eating pureed food by Wednesday, after seeing the nurse and the nutritionist. By the weekend, I was tired, but feeling ok. Starting Sunday evening, I started feeling run-down. I also vomited up my vitamin. Since then, I'm having so much difficulty eating anything other than water or other liquids. I can barely put anything on my stomach, as just a few bites makes me feel extremely full and nauseous. I'm taking Pantoprazole, but it's not helping yet. Plus, I can't take my vitamins, except for B12. My nutritionist gave me several samples of other vitamins, but I can't take them, either. She says my palate is "hyper-sensitive" right now, and I have to disguise my vitamins somehow. It's not working. I'm not getting anywhere near the required protein. If I'm getting in 20 grams, I'd be surprised. I'm just exhausted, and my family and co-workers are very concerned about how pale and lethargic I am right now. I'm cold, then hot, then cold, then hot. Plus, I'm having pain in my back and on my sides. I'm at my wit's end. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Foods I've tried:

cottage cheese      ground chicken          ground beef        ThinkThin bars         BA Shakes (blah)

tuna                    spinach                    apple sauce         strawberries            Herbalife shakes

avocado               tomato sauce            Quest bars          banana                    peanut butter 

All of them feel like stones in my stomach. I can't eat more than a spoonful of anything. If I just had more energy, I wouldn't be so upset. I know energy comes from food, so what can I do in order to eat something? (I get the irony here. Before, all I was doing was eating. Now I can't. Karma at its best.)

HW: 246; VGS: 11/23/15 Dr. Joel Sebastien; SW: 226; GW: 130; CW: 166  

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you." Fred DeVito                 "Perhaps, this very instant is your time." Louise Bogan

"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today." Karen Lamb 

rocky513
on 12/9/15 6:46 am - WI

You are only 16 days out from surgery and are eating all those foods?  I was on liquids for three weeks and pureed food for another two weeks.  I was not eating foods you can actually chew for almost 6 weeks.  I think you may be pushing the progression of food a little too fast.  Go back to liquids for awhile and let your sleeve heal.  

You won't have to worry about what your body is burning for energy  for a long time.  The body will burn fat for energy if it doesn't have food.  That is actually the whole point of getting the surgery.... to force the body to burn fat because you eat so little food.  It's hard for us to wrap our heads around just how little food the body needs to survive.  You feel tired from having major surgery and the anesthesia hangover. Your body is in recovery mode.  It has NOTHING to do with how you are eating.  

You need to focus on getting fluids in right now.  Get your protein in with low sugar shakes for now.  Even if you hate one shake, try a different one.  Some of us have to try dozens before we find one we like.  Go online and order sample packets from several companies.  That way you won't be stuck with a giant tub of protein you hate. Protein is essential to your healing, food is not.  There will be plenty of time to get the eating figured out.  Relax... 

You won't become vitamin deficient over night.  Once you get your new stomach settled down, the vitamins will work out.  Don't take them when you have nothing in your stomach.  Drink a shake or eat some SF pudding( with a little protein added) before you take your vitamins.

You have to change EVERYTHING about how you relate to food.  It kind of sounds like you are obsessing about food and nutrition.  If you take your vitamins, drink your fluids, and you get your protein in, you will be nutritionally sound.  Like I said, You won't become vitamin deficient over night.  Take some time to SLOW DOWN and RELAX.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

tonya2741
on 12/9/15 7:26 am

Thank you for your response, Rocky. I appreciate your candor.

I had my post-op appointment with the nurse and the nutritionist 10 days after my surgery. The nutritionist told us in the group that she didn't want us to rely on shakes for protein anymore, except maybe one a day. The rest she wanted us to get from pureed foods. She said we are retraining our stomachs, like one would a baby, to process food. Her instructions were: 1 week liquids, 2 weeks pureed, 2-4 weeks soft. She gave us a list of what we could eat, and everything I've eaten is on that list. I'm going to take your advice, though, and go back to liquids for awhile. The discomfort is so not worth it.

And, yes, I realize I'm obsessing about food. It's what I've always done, and old habits die hard. Thanks also for the advice about getting shake samples from the internet. I didn't realize some companies would do that.

I'm also going to take your advice and RELAX. I'm so desperate to be Super Woman, but I'm failing miserably.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

Tonya 

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you." Fred DeVito                 "Perhaps, this very instant is your time." Louise Bogan

ubserved
on 12/9/15 1:05 pm

For the first two weeks after surgery I was on liquids only, which was my zero calorie sobes, my premier protein shakes from costco and a bit of lite grape juice here and there just to mix up the flavors, at week 3 I entered the puree stage for 2 weeks which I am currently on, I will admit I had allowed a little bit (a very little bit mind you) of texture being I have tolerated it just fine but then that's just me. But then I have a history of healing very quickly for example I was able to drink freely 2 days after surgery with no issue. I agree with everyone else here, go back to liquids like I was on for the first two weeks for a couple more weeks, then go to the puree stage for a couple weeks then on to soft foods. The last thing you want to have happen is for your stomach to rupture, that can be fatal. Some people take longer to heal, I'm not saying your doc or nut gave you bad advice, but most are on post surgery regime we have outlined and it has worked well for us. Good luck and keep us in the loop as to how you are doing.

cappy11448
on 12/8/15 11:03 pm

Go back to liquids.  Clearly your tummy isn't ready for these heavier foods. 

I couldn't have any solids until I was 4 weeks post op, and I wasn't allowed red meat until 3 months post op.  Then I started with foods like tuna with lots of mayo, scrambled eggs, thin sliced deli turkey and string cheese.  Soft things, and I chewed them really well.  I also could only eat about 1 to 1.5 ounces per meal. 

So take it easy with the new foods.  It should get better in time.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

tonya2741
on 12/9/15 7:31 am

Thank you, Carol.

I whole-heartedly agree with you. I'm going to have to slow everything down, from my eating to my chewing. For now, I'm going back to my liquids. The good news is, my head-hunger has stopped. I no longer want that darned bacon cheeseburger. haha

Thanks so much for your advice. I appreciate it.

Tonya

ubserved
on 12/9/15 1:07 pm

Also if you start to get hunger pains, take your acid reducer your doctor should have prescribed to you, like Prilosec or whatever. Excess stomach acid will mimic hunger pain, you take the pill and in like 30 mins your pain goes away. Just a suggestion. Good luck.

Shel25
on 12/9/15 7:34 am

I am sorry you feel so crummy!  I had a fair amount of nausea the first several weeks.  My food plan did not progress as quickly as yours so I didn't have that kind of variety at 16 days.  

The feeling of no energy can come from dehydration.  In fact, it is much more the likely reason than low food intake. 

Here is what my team did:  told me number one priority was fluids.  Water, jello, whatever fluid I could get it.  Dehydration is the number one reason for ER visits after WLS.  Being dehydrated can make you feel terribly run down!

They told me not to worry much about vitamins/protein for right now. They also weren't worried about calories too much.  I was told that I have plenty of stored calories ;)

My surgeon said that some patients have a lot more nausea than others, even when hydration was good.  The reasons for that are not understood.  She gave me a prescription for an anti-nausea medication (generic Zofran) and said she suspected that I would feel better on solid foods.  She progressed me a little more quickly than other patients but again my plan looks like it was a lot slower than yours in general.   I used the Zofran as needed for several weeks.  It DID fade away!  

You will get thru this!

HW:361 SW:304 (VSG 12/04/2014)Mo 1:-32  Mo 2:-13.5  Mo 3: -13.5  Mo 4 -9.5  Mo 5: -15  Mo 6: -15  Mo 7: -13.5  Mo 8: -17  Mo 9: -13  Mo 10: -12.5  11/3/2015 Healthy BMI Reached Mo 11: -9  Mo 12: -8    12/27/2015 Goal Weight Reached!

Gwen M.
on 12/9/15 8:01 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Definitely go back to liquids.  Especially if you're not getting all of your liquids in right now - you should be working on getting 64 ounces a day.  

Are there any protein shakes that you do tolerate?  You might want to order a bunch of samples from Nashau Nutrition to experiment.  I like Optimum Nutrition Double Rich Chocolate which I make with unsweetened original almond milk.  Yum.  Still not sick of it and I'm almost 2 years post-op.  :)  

What vites are you taking?  

Be gentle with yourself.  I know these first few weeks (and maybe months) suck, but it WILL get better.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Maria_Wilent1273
on 12/9/15 8:40 am

It will get better, trust me. My Dr. had me on liquids for two weeks and I am one month post op and doing well.

Not going to lie to you its a struggle that in the long run will be all worth it. I was out of work for a month! Protein drinks and small two ounce meals is my plan at this time. Always follow the Dr orders but get your protein in by drinking shakes(the bars are too harsh for you at this time)

Keep us posted on your progress and congrats on the weight loss.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 70 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 264 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 327 views