Most things taste like chemicals. Help?!

TheTurtleLady88
on 12/10/15 10:37 pm - Wilmington, NC
VSG on 11/12/15

My taste buds absolutely hate me! I have started getting some soft foods down but I have yet to find a vitamin that doesn't taste like a chewed up Tylenol. Any suggestions? Also, any recipes for soft food would be greatly appreciated! I hate to say that I'm getting sick of cheese, eggs and thin lunch meat. However, that's the only way I've found to get all my protein in with my taste buds wonky. Oh and, I'm only able to eat between one to four ounces, usually no more than 3. Is that normal? Thanks!

Samantha 

Neesie57
on 12/10/15 11:24 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

I couldn't eat more than 2 ounces when I first had my surgery.  Now I can sometimes eat up to 3, but it depends on the kind of food I'm eating.  Dense proteins are the most restrictive.  

My favorite soft food was canned tuna, chicken or salmon, mushed with some light mayo and curry powder.  I ate that almost every day and never got sick of any of it.  I also ate a lot of light string cheese and shredded cheese.  Measure everything and eat small amounts to make sure your new tummy does well with all of it.

I use gummy vitamins from Costco, and Bariatric Advantage Chewable calcium in all the flavors.  I have found that, even at 4 months out, the calcium tablets are just too big for me to swallow. My favorite flavors are the caramel and peanut butter. They taste like candy, not vitamins.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

(deactivated member)
on 12/11/15 4:01 am

You can't be far out from surgery if you are still on soft foods. Food flavors do get better over time though some things may not taste the same or appeal to any more. I ate gummy vitamins for the first 2-3 months. I know they are not the best for content but are better than not taking your vitamins cos they taste so bad. You could try liquid vitamins some of them taste decent though they do cost more. I ate a lot of Greek yogurt at first and made  home made puddings from protein powders. Cottage cheese got mixed with all kinds of flavors. Sure gets hard to remember what you ate at first. I am only 5 mths out! 1-4 ounces sounds fine and normal. Good luck finding foods that taste better.

Tracy D.
on 12/11/15 7:02 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Go out to Shelly's website - http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/  

She has lots of great recipes for the soft food phase. 

As for amounts that you're eating, you shouldn't be able to eat more than 1-2 oz. at this time.  Even if you think you can, don't!  Just because you can eat something doesn't mean you should.  

Until you are fully healed inside and on solid foods you're not going to notice restriction much so make sure you measure everything and then stop eating, regardless if you can feel it or not. 

And the taste bud thing is pretty normal, it sorts itself out after a few weeks.  It can also be a side effect of being in ketosis (a good thing).  Makes your mouth taste and everything you put in it taste like ass! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

psychoticparrot
on 12/11/15 7:51 am

Gummy vitamins usually taste pretty good. My particular vitamin gummy, Vitafusion Platinum (for people 50+), has a delicious peach flavor and a very tender texture. Vitafusion B12 gummies are a bit harder in texture but have a great red raspberry flavor. Be aware, though, that these gummies do have some calories: 20 cal/2 Platinum vitamin gummies, and 5 cal/2 B12 gummies. 

I eat my gummies, a chewable iron tablet, a unflavored calcium tablet (I just put up with the chalky taste) and a baby aspirin (approved by my surgeon for a clotting condition I have) along with a cup of black, unsweetened coffee in the afternoon. It's a tasty, soothing interlude at a time of day when I often get peckish. Feels like I've eaten a whole meal. So far, the gummies have not triggered sugar cravings.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

(deactivated member)
on 12/11/15 1:20 pm - Hilliard, OH
WLS on 07/27/15

I'm a Flintstones kid :D hahah. (Flintstones Complete x 2 a day) My nut recommended them, and I like them, since I hated swallowing pills, even before surgery. Most of the gummy vitamins have at least 3 carbs each. I'd rather use my carbs on something else.

I also have been using the vitamin patches. Especially for the calcium. I couldn't find anything else that I found tolerable for calcium.

I could eat eggs, cheese, and deli ham every day and be a happy camper, so I don't have many other ideas for ya, sorry. lol

Hope you find some stuff that will make your tastebuds happy!

Good Luck! :)

Most Active