Is the pain normal?

t_nassim
on 12/13/15 11:29 am

Hello everyone 

I had a VSG done 6 days ago and I still have pain in my stomach and my back between my shoulder blades. I feel every single sip that goes in and even when I'm not drinking I feel that my stomach is turning upside down and twisting. I have not vomited at all. Please let me know if this pain is normal , My husband insists that we should go to emergency!

luvmypuggies
on 12/13/15 11:41 am

Call your surgeon's office and ask - they probably have an on-call doc 24/7.  I have no idea about what the problem is or if it's considered normal, but I would think that it's best to start by asking your surgeon asap since you're so soon post-op.  Good luck!!

psychoticparrot
on 12/13/15 11:46 am

Many new sleevers report pain in the first week post-op. It usually results from residual gas used in surgery to inflate the abdomen, and it often presents in or around the shoulders. Increase your activity level a bit to help dispel the gas.

Pain in the stomach is also not unusual, but if your pain is causing you real distress and is limiting how much you drink, then by all means, call your surgeon and/or go to the ER! Even if it turns out that the pain isn't being caused by anything serious, they can at least give you some liquid pain medication to give you some relief.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Tink3125
on 12/13/15 4:35 pm
VSG on 12/01/15

I am two weeks post op. The pain I had was gas in my shoulder and stomach. Every time it would start to hurt I would get up and walk. The more you move the better you will feel and the soreness will go away.

Good luck!

hollykim
on 12/13/15 7:24 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 13, 2015 at 7:29 PM Pacific Time, t_nassim wrote:

Hello everyone 

I had a VSG done 6 days ago and I still have pain in my stomach and my back between my shoulder blades. I feel every single sip that goes in and even when I'm not drinking I feel that my stomach is turning upside down and twisting. I have not vomited at all. Please let me know if this pain is normal , My husband insists that we should go to emergency!

I cities any help,your stomach cannot turn upside and twist now any more than it did before it was sleeved. It is your exact same stomach,only smaller.

it is normal to still have pain only six days out. Are you taking your pain medicine as prescribed? 

hollykim
on 12/13/15 7:24 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 13, 2015 at 7:29 PM Pacific Time, t_nassim wrote:

Hello everyone 

I cities any help,your stomach cannot turn upside and twist now any more than it did before it was sleeved. It is your exact same stomach,only smaller.

it is normal to still have pain only six days out. Are you taking your pain medicine as prescribed? 

t_nassim
on 12/13/15 10:32 pm

Thank you all for your response. I have contacted my doctor and apparently everything is normal!!

Thanks again ?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 258 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 324 views