Surgery is one week away

reedwar
on 12/24/15 1:14 am

My surgery is finally coming up, but I'm starting to freak out a little.  Any advice to help with the nerves would be wonderful.

Also, any suggestions on what to pack for the hospital stay?

(deactivated member)
on 12/24/15 4:22 am

Just keep remembering why you are doing this. Remember this is very safe procedure and will greatly improve your life down the road. Even if you have pain it will get better as each day passes. Look at the posts from others after their surgeries and you will have a good grasp of what to expect. Also know most of us were nervous.

What to pack? I know there are lists around to make that easy for you but you will really need very little. Some comfy slippers or shoes to walk around and move that gas. Normal personal items such as deodorant, toothbrush and paste, comb. Wore their gowns till I left the hospital. I did not use a lot of the suggested items. I did read a little but had no need for ipod or other entertainment. You will sleep a lot, walk a lot and sip a lot.

Best of luck with your surgery. Will be waiting for your post that it is over and done and you are home.

cappy11448
on 12/24/15 4:56 am

What a great way to start the new year with a new tummy and the promise of better health and energy!  Congratulations. 

I took way to much stuff to the hospital.  So I'd suggest taking a minimal amount of things. 

The things I'd recommend -

1. I brought my own pajamas so I could get out of those nasty hospital johnies asap! 
  2. my own slippers, again just for comfort.  the hospital provided some, but I preferred mine.
  3. A pillow in the car to protect tummy from seat belt when driving home.
  4. Loose fitting clothes for the ride home.
  5. Something to read/do - I brought puzzle books and reading materials and knitting, and then I didn't need it because I slept the whole time.  And didn't need it, but you may have a different experience.

The hospital supplied shampoo and a tooth brush and toothpaste - so didn't need that.  I really didn't need anything else.

best wishes,
Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

psychoticparrot
on 12/24/15 8:20 am

Advice for nerves: Klonopin. Ask your surgeon. Don't drive under its influence.

Advice for packing: What Cappy said.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

GabeAlpert
on 12/24/15 3:25 pm

Good luck!  The surgery isn't so bad, just do what all the doctors and nurses say and you'll be fine, know that millions of other people have done this and they're all fine too.

reedwar
on 12/24/15 4:58 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence.  I'm just really worried that it will not work.

psychoticparrot
on 12/24/15 5:36 pm

"I'm just really worried that it will not work."

Not an unreasonable fear, given that you probably attempted every diet on the planet, as we all did, and none of them worked. I had lap-band surgery years ago, and even that did not work.

Weight gain is caused by eating too many calories, especially from junk carbs, which sets us up to crave and eat even more junk carbs. The sleeve reverses that process. You will eat small amounts of high-quality protein, like lean meats, chicken, fish, eggs, and tofu. That protein will fill up your sleeve and make you feel contentedly full, while greatly reducing cravings for junk food. Weight loss results, which sets you up physically and emotionally to continue making good food choices and keeping the portions small. It's so much easier, physically and psychologically, to lose weight with the sleeve. You will be amazed!

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

reedwar
on 12/24/15 5:03 pm

Thank you everyone for the posts.  It really has made me feel better.

I hope all of you have a very Merry Christmas (or which every holiday you celebrate).

GrumpyBengal
on 12/24/15 10:20 pm
VSG on 12/30/15

Hi Reedwar,

My surgery is on Dec 30th and I just found out yesterday(stupid insurance), so I know how you feel. I am total nervous wreck!

Definitely talk to your primary and see if you can get something for Anxiety, my Dr gave me some Ativan to help.

I would definitely pack a bag with something comfy and bring your own pillow maybe.

Fingers crossed! You can do this!

Ana

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 93 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 321 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 365 views