Not all carbs are bad

kyzze
on 1/24/16 9:45 pm
VSG on 12/29/15 with

This is from blackweighlosssuccess.com:

Carbohydrates are essentially the sugars, starch, and cellulose that you find in certain foods. They contain hydrogen and oxygen in the same ratio as water (2:1) and typically can be broken down to release energy in the body.

There are two types of carbohydrates, including:

1. Unrefined carbohydrates

These carbohydrates are consumed in their natural form. You may hear a lot of people talk about the need to eat more "whole foods" and complex carbs are a big part of that. They're oftentimes called complex carbohydrates, because they are made up of a long series of sugars that take longer for the body to break down, basically meaning that the sugar is released in the body consistently throughout the day instead of it being released abruptly and quickly, which can cause a huge surge in blood sugar levels.  Unrefined carbs include fruit, vegetables, and legumes. In fact, legumes (foods that come from plant seeds) are excellent sources of unrefined carbohydrates and include peas, nuts, soybeans and lentils. Because they are unprocessed, they retain their vitamins and minerals, are full of healthy fiber, and contain antioxidants. The fiber in these foods can help you to feel fuller longer. A diet that is filled with the daily recommended servings (at least 35-50 fiber grams) of unrefined carbohydrates offers many benefits, such as:

• Reduce cholesterol levels, including the bad cholesterol (LDL)
  • Maintain stable sugar levels
  • Help keep a healthy weight
  • Can reduce risk of heart disease and lower chance of stroke
  • May help lower the risk of certain cancers

2. Refined or processed carbohydrates

Refined or processed carbs are whole grains and natural sugars that are broken down into smaller particles or broken down and concentrated. As with other foods, once the original food is compromised or broken down, nutrients and vitamins are broken down as well. The smaller the particle, the quicker it is absorbed in the digestive system and sugar levels rise. Refined sugars, like white sugar and corn syrup, are a huge source of added sugar in foods that causes blood sugar to spike. Refined, processed carbs are the kinds of carbs you want to stay away from as much as possible. These are also the kinds of carbs that we can get addicted to quite easily and many of the foods on the shelves in the grocery stores are full of them.

Processed carbs include white and brown sugars, syrups, white rice, potatoes, pastries, and processed/bleached flours. You'll find plenty of these carbs in white bread, cookies, cereal, ice cream, chips, desserts, etc. They can also be found in soda, juices, candy, and fast food. Processed or refined carbohydrates are considered the bad carbs and can contribute to the following:

• Weight gain, because they are high in empty calories, low in fiber, you are more likely to eat more.
  • Increased cholesterol levels
  • Higher blood sugar levels and sodium, which can cause heart disease
  • Increased risk for diabetes and certain cancers
(deactivated member)
on 1/24/16 11:42 pm

I agree with the article above. 

However, many people choose to follow a low carb plan to help weight loss. There are many peer reviewed studies on low carb weight loss plans and their success. So for folks choosing to follow a low carb plan, carbs are carbs are carbs. 

What the article implies, though I wi**** came right out and said it, is that to maintain weight loss one should stick to eating complex carbs rather than refined carbs. 

If we could all eat by the motto, "Lean, Green, and Clean!" I think we'd all be better off and healthier. Admittedly, it's hard to do ALL THE TIME! 

Grim_Traveller
on 1/25/16 5:47 am
RNY on 08/21/12

They make good points, but leave a lot out. It is really, really easy to gain weight with natural foods like fruit, nuts, etc. They pack a ton of calories. Fruit is sugar. That's what makes it tasty. And your body doesn't much care if sugar comes from fruit or Little Debbies. Yes, fruit has healthy things that Little Debbies don't. But a ton of sugar is still a ton of sugar.

Lots of things start out "natural." At least for our grandparents. But grains and soy have been extensively genetically modified. There is nothing natural about them.

You can find very convincing articles that advocate almost anything. But there are certain things that successful WLSers have in common. Dense protein first. Control portions and grazing. Low carb. Do those, and you will do fantastic. Try to come up with another plan, and you could still do well. But many, many people do not.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

GoBlueGirl1998
on 1/25/16 9:20 am - MI

While I try and keep the carbs low, I'm not one of those people that are in the no carb camp. I probably consume more carbs then most people here. So far it has worked for me. If I see a gain or no longer able to lose then I will change my eating habits. 

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

White Dove
on 1/25/16 11:28 am - Warren, OH

Dr. Atkins said that going low carb gave a 10% advantage in weight loss.  So if you lose 10 pounds on high carb, you could expect to lose 11 on low carb with the same calories and time period.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/25/16 3:17 pm

carbs makes me crave more carbs... makes me hungry.. and since i do have insulin resistance - my body dumps a lot of insulin when it sees my BS increases... taht causes my BS to drop (and my body puts away the calories) and...then drops even more to make me hungry....

when I eat more proteins and fat - less carbs - the increase in my BS is very low and very slow overtime.. that makes my body think that I am full much longer..  plus i can burn the calories as I eat them vs putting them away and asking for more... 

my BF will have a cookie, or 2. and he is fine.  if I have 1, I want 2, then 4, and .. before I know I eat the whole package...  it is even worse with potatoes or rice.. or fruits...

some people process carb differently than I do. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 93 views