NSV and slight body dysmorphia !

familyof6
on 2/3/16 2:21 pm

So I have been at goal for a few months, I went from 240 lbs to around 155/157 lbs. I wore a size large top and size 12 pants. In January I was up a few pounds and decided to really watch my diet and start toning up, so I ordered the 30 day shred video.

I did ended up losing around 6 lbs in 3 weeks, but more than that , I lost some inches in my waist and abdomen.

Today I went shopping because my clothes felt so loose. I ended up with 2 linen pants size small and a cute top size Medium, but I could have gotten the small....Jeans size 6 or 8 depending on the brand....I am in TOTAL shock, I do not recognize this body....I still think of myself as a larger person ! I am still leaning towards flowy, baggy clothes, I am at a loss of what I want to look like.....

My 9 year old son asked my if my surgery was going to "end". He said I was getting too skinny and he didn't want me to die

Now I am 5'7" and 151 lbs so I wont die of starvartion anytime soon, but it made me realize maybe don't see myself as others see me....

Anybody else struggling with body dysmorphia ? And...I am NOT complaining, I am so proud of being at this weight :))))

Daelcare
on 2/3/16 3:27 pm - Easley, SC
VSG on 10/27/14

Yes!!!!  I'm still a fan of long and flowy!!  I started at 20-22/2XL and now where 4-6/S-XS.  It is really hard getting used to that and realizing that I really am that small.  People tell me how tiny I am all the time, but I still see 38" hips in the mirror and think that's huge!  I know it's better than the 56" ones I started with, but they still look pretty big to me!  You've done awesome...enjoy it!!

5'5" 64 year old; HW 219; SW 199; CW 129; GW 145ish (original)...now on to "ideal" (138)...got that...now a few spare (132)...got that one, too! Now for the 120's!! Made them...now for the "dream" weight...125! Well, that one's proving to be a little tougher!

SilverGirl2015
on 2/3/16 4:50 pm

I'm feeling a fashion identity crisis. I don't know what to wear. I've been shlumphing around for so long now, just basically wearing what fits and not trying to attract attention.  I am trying to put off doing much clothes shopping, but now that I am back in the realm of normal sized and I can shop anywhere, I just don't know what I want.  Feeling a bit intimidated about trying things on, what's right for my age (57) - I think I just need for my body image to catch up with me, so I totally relate!  Congrats on your success!

Ready2goNOW
on 2/3/16 6:05 pm

Funny you should mention this!

I have lost over 100 pounds since I started this journey, but have continued to wear the same 'uniform' - leggings and a nice long top!

I can see my loss, but I can't see it if you know what I mean! I have been pinning my clothes since I can't sew waiting until I lose enough weight to warrant new clothes. I got dressed for work yesterday and the pins just didn't do the job! My clothes hang, but still I don't or can't acknowledge the loss.

I obviously need therapy! I want and deserve new, better fitting clothes..hell, maybe even something clingy or form fitting, but I keep putting it off...

Don't know what the he'll is wrong with me!

Kathy

familyof6
on 2/4/16 8:11 am

Thanks for responding guys, it seems like I am not alone :))))

It's totally like an identity crisis...I have no idea what looks good on my body, what I like, "who I want to be", people keep telling me to wear fitted clothes but I still NEED comfort !!!

Yesterday I bought myself some comfy flowy linen pants, I will live in those .

I lost 1-2 sizes since last year so now I need a whole new ward robe....work clothes and regular clothes...it's just overwhelming !!!

First world problems for sure, but I needed to vent to people who understand

psychoticparrot
on 2/4/16 2:39 pm

First, although I'm nearly certain you've already done this, reassure your son that you're done (or nearly done) with the "surgery" and that you feel so much healthier and happier than when you were heavy. It's amazing what ideas kids get in their heads, but it's real to them, so lots of hugs and reassurances here.

Second, I'm not yet at goal, but at 161 pounds, I'm getting used to my thinner body and not covering it up as much anymore. I'm wearing special, close-fitting (not form-fitting!), moisture-wicking Ts because I'm in a hot climate and have to wear them to keep cool. The sleeves are quite short and show off more of my bat-wings than I'm comfortable with, but they're the only ones I could find. I'm also wearing very thin knit capri leggings that skim my legs instead of clinging to them. So I've found clothes that are cool, not too revealing, and I'm very happy with that. I'll be even happier when I get rid of that last 40 pounds!

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."