Have surgery or not.....

BayouGirl
on 3/3/16 12:56 pm

I am 46 have high blood pressure been on meds 5 years. Have GERD been on meds 10 years.  They say border line diabetic.

Diabetes run in my family.  Heart disease runs in my family.  My mom was in her late 40's when she started having stents put in. Had open heart surgery last year she was 60.

I have never had any surgery other than dental.  And I'm scared! There are so many things that can go wrong!

Putting money and insurance aside.  Would you have the sleeve surgery to lose 66 pounds? If you were in my shoes?

White Dove
on 3/3/16 1:59 pm - Warren, OH

No I would never have sleeve surgery in your cir****tances.  I would have RNY

Sleeve surgery often makes GERD worse or gives you GERD if you never had it before.  RNY often cures the GERD.

Sleeve surgery may help with diabetes, but it only restrictive surgery and weight loss can put diabetes into remission.  RNY can put diabetes into remission on the day of surgery.  The difference is believed to be from the changes to the intestines. Your long-term chances of getting full blown diabetes is much less with RNY than sleeve.

Sixty six pounds is a lot of weight.  Strap three 20 pound bags of dogfood on your back and walk around with it all day.  You will not lose too much weight with either surgery.  Just like any diet you will have to struggle for the last ten pounds and work on your food and exercise for life to keep from regaining.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

BayouGirl
on 3/3/16 2:38 pm

I'm WAY scared of rny.  I've been reading for about a year on both surgeries and I see so many complications a few years in with the rny. 

I do know about the GERD.  Another thing that scares me of the Sleeve! But, I have also read many stories of people having it before and not after. And I figure I probably have a hernia.

I'm waiting on doctor appointment for a referral.

I just read some people saying they surgery is for people with 100 or more to lose.  But, I have tried for years to lose weight and only get bigger!

sheriberi29
on 3/3/16 4:48 pm - Cleveland, TN

You do NOT want to have sleeve surgery with gerd already. IMHO from everything I have read and learned from recent seminars and education while trying to decide on rny or sleeve. I was like you and afraid of rny because it seems so much more invasive , however I have had long discussions with my dr and he is very convincing that each surgery comes with its own type of risks and is equally invasive .... But EVERYTHING I have learned in trying to make my decision is that sleeve is not recommended for those with gerd. 

I have a lap and now and am awaiting approval for revision surgery, I lost 100 lbs with band and have a current regain of 50 lbs but about 70 lbs to goal so we are very nearly in the same boat... I'd suggest going to an informational seminar and speak to your dr... And of course folks around here seem to be very helpful with experience... 

I will say that it's a fact that 80% of diabetics type 2 of course.... Will no longer be diabetic with rny and 40% with sleeve. I'm sure weight loss and healthy life long changes in general with either surgery would reduce risks of heart disease and need for stents .

wls is not for people only with 100 lbs to lose, I thought so too until I went to the seminar ... They are always free and usually help locally once a month by the Bariatric Drs 

White Dove
on 3/4/16 12:06 am - Warren, OH

For people with 100 pounds to lose, or people with less than 100 pounds to lose who are not successful with dieting alone or people with diseases like diabetes.  Diabetes can lead to blindness, kidney malfunction and having legs amputated for starters.   People who have successful RNY surgery, lose their weight and live healthy lives rarely post stories on the internet.  Most of the scary stories I have read about RNY are from trolls who make them up as they go.

At least once a month someone posts an RNY scare story that makes no sense at all.  They are successful in scaring people and evidently take pleasure in keeping others from getting the help they need.  Have you ever met a person who lost 50 or more pounds and did not gain it back?

The odds are 3% to 5% but I have never met anyone who was successful.  It is hard enough to fight regain with RNY.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Madrina
on 3/3/16 5:38 pm
VSG on 12/23/15

I suffered from GERD and it was determined to be caused by my hiatal hernia. Not all GERD is I was just lucky I guess. I had the VSG and my hernia was repaired. I haven't had any symptoms of GERD since. I made the decision to pursue the surgery because I also have a family history of DM and have multiple metabolic and thyroid issues that contributed to my insulin resistance. Next step could have been DM bc I was maxed out on metformin with my glucose and a1c numbers raising.  I also have a young child so although scary opted the risk was worth being around for my son longer. Good luck. 

yvonnef1964
on 3/3/16 5:49 pm
VSG on 08/11/14

I had Gerd  and had the sleeve. I did have a hernia that was repaired. I was on omeprazole for 18 months after surgery. The doctor took me off it and I haven't had any problems with heartburn. I would discuss it with the surgeon. 

BayouGirl
on 3/3/16 7:04 pm

Thank you everyone!

cappy11448
on 3/3/16 10:44 pm

Hi BayouGirl,

I think White Dove is right that the RNY might be more suitable for you as VSG can exacerbate GERD. 

But the larger question is whether to have surgery or not.  I waited until I was morbidly obese and over 60 before I had surgery because I wanted to do it on my own.  But every diet ended in regain, and I finally got to the point where the quality of my life was deteriorating due to obesity and I had to do something.

I am so glad I had surgery.  I lost 225 pounds and I am now a normal weight for the first time since I was a teen. 

If you've been struggling with trying to lose weight for a while, and can't manage to keep it off, then I'd highly recommend the surgery.  The WLS does not make it easy but it does make it possible.  You've got to make the commitment and follow the rules, but if you do it will work, and you'll be so happy you did it.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Neonanrs
on 3/4/16 3:09 am, edited 3/3/16 7:07 pm

If you do the sleeve and the GERD is bad, you can always switch to the ryn or DS.  But the surgery is easy, you may experience some gas but that's the worst of it.  You have to try and help yourself feel better and you have us to guide you along so you won't be alone.  But your life and body is truly all you have.

Surgery date 9-23-15, SW: 212 CW: 125

Doctors goal reached in 6 months. Personal goal reached in 11 months

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views