What part do protein bars have in your plan?

Hkinzfnp
on 3/4/16 3:17 am

i am a little over 6 months post-op and just bought my 2nd box ever of protein bars.  I had bought some previously as I was vacationing in Florida and wanted something in case I need to replace a meal.  Took me ages to eat them all.  I just bought a variety pack of Quest bars since I'm going on a 3 day trip to DC with my sons 8th grade class so want an easy choice for on the go.  However, I was surprised when I received them that they have an equal amount of carbs to protein and around 200 calories.  Seems like a lot for a small bar.

Do all of you eat protein bars?  If so are they a meal or a snack?  Do you recommend a certain kind?

ocean4dlm
on 3/4/16 4:45 am - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

First, I did not use protein bars during weight loss. I remained at ~600-700  calories and less than 35 carbs, protein only with a few bites of vegetables during that time. In maintenance, I eat a protein bar daily during my drive to work.  For me, it is one of the most efficient ways I can hit my protein and calorie targets and get in all of my water. 

Some people are totally against protein bars.  You have to do what works for you and what aligns with your program's guidelines.  I can only share the brands that work for me.  Ingredients and tastes trigger cravings differently in all of us.  I have worked to find protein bars that are not trigger foods for me.  Most Quest bars agree with my body, and actually seem to help keep me regular.  The chocolate and peanut butter varieties do trigger me a bit, and I don't eat them. That being said, oddly enough, the other bar that works for me is the Primal Kitchen (Mark's Daily Apple) Dark Chocolate Almond bar.

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

mmsmom
on 3/4/16 4:45 am - Woburn, MA

I don't eat protein bars or protein shakes.  I prefer to get my nutrition from real food - I'd much rather have  slice of cheese and turkey breast than a protein bar any day but i know there are many who use both of these on a regular basis.

VSG on 04/28/2014

cappy11448
on 3/4/16 4:50 am

I don't eat protein bars at all.  I notice in previous pre-surgery diets that once I started relying on protein bars, my weight loss slowed, so I avoided them after surgery. 

When traveling, I carry small snack-sized baggies with nuts.  I weigh out the nuts and calculate about 300 to 350 calories per baggie.  Then I use them as meal substitutes when traveling.  I love cashews, and don't eat them that often at home because they are so addicting.  So its a treat for me while traveling.

best of luck.  Enjoy D.C. Its a fun place to visit.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Bufflehead
on 3/4/16 4:54 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

Protein bars only when I'm traveling for several days at a time. Otherwise, too many calories, too many carbs, too much of a trigger and slider food for me. When I do eat them, I eat Quest bars, but I really really try to avoid protein bars in general.

True story (I've told it here before so those of you who have already read it, my apologies): my mother struggles with being under weight, she has her entire life. Her doctor ordered her to eat a protein bar every day in order to maintain her weight, and if she goes under a certain weight, she has to eat two protein bars a day in order to gain weight. Since she started this program, she hardly ever gets under weight, and when she adds in another, she starts gaining rapidly. In my mind, protein bars are a weight gaining food, not a weight loss food.

Jeninfla708
on 3/4/16 5:40 am - Port Saint Lucie, FL
On March 4, 2016 at 12:54 PM Pacific Time, Bufflehead wrote:

Protein bars only when I'm traveling for several days at a time. Otherwise, too many calories, too many carbs, too much of a trigger and slider food for me. When I do eat them, I eat Quest bars, but I really really try to avoid protein bars in general.

True story (I've told it here before so those of you who have already read it, my apologies): my mother struggles with being under weight, she has her entire life. Her doctor ordered her to eat a protein bar every day in order to maintain her weight, and if she goes under a certain weight, she has to eat two protein bars a day in order to gain weight. Since she started this program, she hardly ever gets under weight, and when she adds in another, she starts gaining rapidly. In my mind, protein bars are a weight gaining food, not a weight loss food.

This part: True story (I've told it here before so those of you who have already read it, my apologies): my mother struggles with being under weight, she has her entire life. Her doctor ordered her to eat a protein bar every day in order to maintain her weight, and if she goes under a certain weight, she has to eat two protein bars a day in order to gain weight. Since she started this program, she hardly ever gets under weight, and when she adds in another, she starts gaining rapidly. In my mind, protein bars are a weight gaining food, not a weight loss food........

HUGE EYE OPENER!!!  

Jennifer N.

Surgery Scheduled 11/17/16

HW 272 CW 260 GW 135

Grim_Traveller
on 3/4/16 6:07 am
RNY on 08/21/12

The consensus seems to be they aren't real food, just a glorified candy bar, too many carbs, and can trigger cravings.

I eat them all the time. Have for years. Work really well for me.

Anything you put in your mouth, chew, and swallow, is real food. It's not ptetend food. Some brands have a lot of sugar, or sugar alcohols, and 3 or 4 hundred calories. That's way too much in my opinion. Quest bars at 170 calories work great for me. They work better when I'm running around than a double quarter pounder with cheese, which is what I used to have. So I consider it a major win. And at 170 calories, it's a half or a third of an actual candy bar, and about 5 percent of the sugar. It's all relative.

I haven't gained a single pound in three years. So I'll keep doing what works. If they don't work for you, you should stop it.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

GoBlueGirl1998
on 3/4/16 6:18 am - MI

Protein bar have no part in my plan and never have. I know everyone is different. I have never been big into protein shakes and bars. I get how they can help when it comes to traveling and what not. I understand how they can help. I travel a lot and I try to plan ahead as much as I can without the use of the bars.

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

MAchick
on 3/4/16 6:46 am
VSG on 01/27/14

I am two years out and don't eat protein bars often. I do keep a few around in my car, purse, in case I find myself starving. 

And once in a while I will have one before I'm going to do a big workout. It is just enough carb and protein for a boost but not a full stomach. 

I enjoy the zone simple bars in Pumpkin Chai and Peppermint Bark.

emelar
on 3/4/16 8:17 am - TX

They are handy to have around for travel and emergencies.  That's about it.  As you get further out, you'll realize that you can almost always find something acceptable to eat, wherever you are. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 81 views