Taking the plunge vs. giving it one last go myself

(deactivated member)
on 4/28/16 2:01 am

Hi all, new to this forum :)

Bit of background info.... I'm 33 years old. I started getting overweight in my early 20****ting 308 lbs at around 25 years old. When I got weighed and realised I'd gotten that big, I ate better, exercised, and got down to 240 lbs. At this weight I cut myself too much slack, reverting to bad eating habits, and the weight crept back up. It didn't get as high this time. At around 290 lbs I started again, getting back down to around 240 lbs. That was a couple of years ago. I've since been on a healthy eating holiday and got back up to where I started, 300 lbs.

That was 5 weeks ago. In the last 5 weeks I've started again. I've tried to kick start my weight loss and reset my appetite by going on protein shakes for two meals, then a vegetarian dinner (not converting, just enjoying tofu!). I've included fruit snacks, and usually have another shake after dinner. It's gone fine so far, doesn't even feel hard after the first week. So far I've lost 22 lbs as I've cut out a lot of carbs, sugar and fried food. I feel like I am in a great head space, craving sugar/carb food just 2-3 times, but otherwise doing my thing consistantly.

I've been looking at VSG surgery as a long term tool. I'm at a cross roads. As I have a BMI over 40, I qualify for an insurance discount (I'll still be paying $12,200 myself). I could book it in for 2.5 months time, or I could continue to see how I go and reassess in 8 months time.

As I understand it (and please correct me if I'm wrong), VSG gives you around a year of a highly suppressed appetite and no cravings. This year (potentially longer), is the time you have to change your eating habits (and up the exercise). 1-2 years on, you can eat more, and could gain weight if you eat the wrong things. It is up to you to change your habits. You still have the benefit of getting fill a bit faster. On the down side, you need to take vitamins. Are there any other downsides 2+ years on, did I get the above correct?

I'm on the fence with 3 options:

1. Do it soon, and hope that I have minor complications short/long term, with the thought that although I'm eating OK now, this tool will help me in 2-3 years time by continuing to get me fuller faster.
  2. Continue on myself, and see how I am in 8 months. Either book then, or
  3. If I've kept going and losing, then it's almost like I've fast forwarded to year 2-3 of the VSG, where it's up to you to continue to eat well, exercise etc as you could still eat bad

If/when my BMI goes under 40, I won't get the insurance subsidy. I don't have HBP or Diabetes. I do have psosatric arthritics, which is more motivation to keep losing. I change my mind constantly, between feeling that the VSG is quite safe and will help me in my weight loss journey, vs. thinking I can keep going as I am and do what I would have been doing with a VSG anyone (minus any potential short or long term complications).

I know I need to make this decision, but I welcome your comments, and will add them to my thought process :)

Thank you in advance.

Starry Eyed
on 4/28/16 12:03 pm
VSG on 04/20/16

Hi there!  I see that you've deactivated, but I want to reply in the off chance that you decide to log back in.  As I read your story I couldn't help but see the similarities with my own.  I never lost as much weight on my own, but as my weight hovered around 300lbs, I was unhappy, unmotivated, out of control with my eating habits, and really felt like my body was running the show. I struggled with deciding if WLS was for me because I thought it was me giving up.  At only a week out, I can't give you much advice on what a more seasoned sleever has experienced, but I can say that this was the best thing I have ever done for myself.  

VSG is not the end-all-be-all to weight loss.  It is a tool that us sleevers must use properly to achieve a healthy weight.  Like all tools, they can be misused or left in the shed, which will not help you.  I see it as something that finally leveled the playing field for me.  You know, "normal" people can go on diets, lose weight, and move on with their lives.  For me, my body was always working against me, so the sleeve is giving me a fair chance at reaching my weight loss and health goals.  

The sleeve can be misused, though, and it is possible to gain weight  later on if you haven't truly made lasting changes to your habits.  I was terrified going into surgery, I doubt you will meet a sleever who wasn't.  I followed my pre-op diet to the letter and my doc noticed because it made the procedure safer and easier for him.  Not sure if any of this has helped you, but you should know that OH is a wonderful and supportive family that you are welcome in anytime!  If you have any more specific questions just post it, we are here to help!  Best of luck to you as you work through this decision!

High Weight: 307 Start Weight: 297 (11/5/15) Surgery Weight: 278 (4/20/16) Pre-Op: (-19) M1: (-24) M2: (-8) M3: (-10) M4: (-9) M5: (-7) M6: (-6) M7: (-7) M8: (-5) M9: (-4) M10: (-3) M11: (-5) CW: 185

"Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations."

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views