My relationship with protein shakes is not as strong as it used to be...

Hkinzfnp
on 5/15/16 3:24 pm

Almost 9 months post op and in the beginning I couldn't do this without the shakes, I had at least one a day instead of a meal, usually breakfast.  But kind of suddenly I'm finding that I'm not satisfied with drinking a meal, that I crave "real" food.  I've been making batches of my protein rich foods on my days off so i always have something to go to and have been meeting my protein goal every day.  Did anyone else just suddenly break up with protein shakes??

Highest Weight: 268 pounds.  Surgery Weight 248 pounds.  Current Weight 142 pounds.  VSG 8/24/15 with Dr. Havaleshko

Sammy2929
on 5/15/16 5:42 pm
VSG on 05/02/16

Lol, I'm only on day 13 and ready to break up. I just find them tasting too sweet now

Lynn D

Age:52, Height 5'4", HW 299, SW 282.6, Current weight as of 02/22/17 159 lbs.

M1 30, M2 25, M3 30,  M4-9 M5 ? M-6,7,8 25lbs, M 9 1/2 ?

(deactivated member)
on 5/15/16 5:47 pm

I didn't have a break up with protein shakes, but 9 months out did mark the point when my capacity made a little jump up. I found that real, dense foods satisfied much more than the liquids and softs and soft solids I had been eating. Up until about 9 months I was thinning out yogurt and found protein shakes very satisfying for hours and hours. Then it was like, BOOM, door blew open. I could eat about 3 oz of meat and a 1/4 cup of vegetable or salad and even a bite or two of fruit or starch.

I know many others who noticed a capacity increase around 9-12 months. Sounds like you are on track! 

Hkinzfnp
on 5/15/16 6:19 pm, edited 5/15/16 11:17 am

Kiark- Thank goodness for you and your wisdom!!!   That's the other thing I'm noticing and it scares me to death.  I can definitely eat more food rather suddenly.  I've wanted to be in denial of this but it's true.  Granted, still not a crazy amount.  Tonight for dinner I had 3.5 ounces of chicken and a couple Brussel sprouts.  Nowhere near my pre-surgery  intake obviously but still a bit of a jump.  And a protein shake used to last for hours but now it just doesn't.

Happy Dancing that this is normal!!!  

Highest Weight: 268 pounds.  Surgery Weight 248 pounds.  Current Weight 142 pounds.  VSG 8/24/15 with Dr. Havaleshko

Sandra F.
on 5/16/16 5:48 am

I haven't had any protein shakes since month 2 as I could not stomach them any more.  I can't even look at them.

DiaMon
on 5/16/16 7:03 pm
VSG on 03/12/14

I believe that I broke up with protein shakes a year post op.  I did Premier Protein, which I found very good, but I got to the point that I was so tired of them. I've been doing fine without them, I have regular check ups and blood work and my levels of protein are normal. (Except for vitamin D which I can't keep up no matter what I do.) So yes, you can ditch them,but you have to make sure to be up to the challenge of getting protein in. At first it wasn't easy for me, but it gradually becomes natural. (Just like drinking a gazillion ounces of water lol)  

Surgery Date: 3•12•14 HW:264 SW:240 // GOAL WEIGHT 160 lbs REACHED on 08/24/14 REVISED GOAL: 140 

REVISED GOAL REACHED: 01/12/2015 CURRENT WEIGHT: 135 (=

FuturePinUp
on 5/17/16 1:44 pm

9 months? I can't believe you made it that long! ;)

I hate, hate, hate sweets and protein shakes are so cloyingly sweet, I couldn't deal. As soon as I was getting my 60+ grams of protein from real food (which was about 3 weeks post-op), I ditched the shakes and never looked back. I would much rather use the calories for something I actually enjoy like a nice piece of brie or a hard-boiled egg with some ham and cheese. Yum!!

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views