It took all day ...

JTMGPW
on 5/15/16 8:29 pm

Good grief, it took all day dedication of nothing but sipping, sipping, sipping to get 40oz of liquids in. But I did it. Yay. 

On day 3 and trying so hard not to use meds. But I feel so much stabbing pain that I still have to take some :/. Warm tea seems to help a lot, but only for a while. I did get to drink creamy soups starting today and enjoyed a really awesome organic creamy tomato soup. For the first time I figured out how much my new tummy can hold -3oz. Now I know what full feels like. I know that's supposed to be a decent amount for now, but wrapping my head around that has been harder than I expected. I thought I was prepared for the idea of it when I was prepping for surgery day, during preop diet, but somehow it feels different now that I'm under threat of physical pain if I overextend my bounds :/. 

anyways, I'm concerned about the stabbing pains I mentioned. Is this normal? Is this actually hunger pains? Is this just what not taking meds would do? Any advice about that is appreciated. 

New33nie
on 5/15/16 9:03 pm - chester, VA
VSG on 11/09/15

I am not sure if this helps, but I could only take my meds at night, because I was working from home.  I would and still do get stabbing pains if I over do it.  I think that is a great thing though, because it makes us stop.  I have been post-op since November.  I do know that I had to re learn all of the feeling going on down there.  It is hard to tell if you are hungry, full, or needed to go to the restroom. 

I can honestly say gets better and better.  However, I still have the pain just not as bad. I am learning how to deal with them and what they mean.  I hope this helps.  Just wait until the constipation phase.  Now that was rough.  LoL!!!

PUGGLESPUPS
on 5/16/16 3:11 am - MA

Everything your experiencing is normal.,  just take it slow..  and if you need the pain meds you should use them.  slow and steady wins the race. 

cappy11448
on 5/16/16 4:45 am

I think you should use the pain meds if you need them.  the pain will pass soon, and you won't need the drugs for long. I didn't have stabbing pains, and its worth asking the surgeon about it, just to be on the safe side. 

I could only get about 40 ounces down at first, too. So that  seems quite normal.

You might want to start some miralax or benefiber to counteract the constipation that comes with taking the pain killers, and with the changed diet, in general.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

JTMGPW
on 5/16/16 9:41 am

Alright I think mystery for the stabbing pains might have an answer. I spoke with the bariatric nurse and she said many people get that due to too much acid in their stomach. I skipped a day of Prilosec (just plain forgot) and only took half a pill the next day (when I had the worst stabbing type sensations). The half pill was a total accident, I had cut the pill and took half but when I went to take the other half I was a clutz and it went down the drain :/. Butter fingers, LOL. 

So now off to make sure I take the Prilosec religiously and see if it helps reduce this ASAP :). 

Darcy G.
on 5/16/16 5:58 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

Don't hang too much on that 3oz being your capacity. Different thicknesses of liquids go through slower, some really quickly, so you can get less in depending on what you're drinking.

I know you're only 3 days out, but when you get to anything even moderately solid? Expect that capacity to shrink dramatically.

You seem to be doing very well for 3 days though. I'd have been willing to murder puppies to be doing that well that soon! Or maybe just shout mean things at them--not so much for the puppy murdering...

And I agree: if you need a pain pill, take it. Pain causes stress, and stress is no friend when you're healing.

:)

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

P goode
on 5/16/16 7:41 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 05/11/16

I know what might help too. Do not cut that tablet. It's designed to be slow release. Prevacid and it's generics have time release granules inside a capsule you can cut open and swallow the granules. That may be an option if that tablet is still too big.if you cut it your gonna get a huge dose up front that will wear off. Glad you're getting fluids in.

P

Done! Your Ticker:

"Long ago in a galaxy far away"- WT-325. Lap band WT-287. Sleeve WT- 220, SW- 215, CW-144

Neesie57
on 5/16/16 7:59 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

Use the pain meds!  They are prescribed for a reason: you just had major surgery.  I used mine until I had no pain left for them to block.  I felt better and I slept better.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Most Active