Help Me!!!! Weight Gain!!!! Pre-Op

prettisleeve
on 7/11/16 5:36 pm

My initial consult was June 1st..at that time I was maybe 238 lbs. as of today I'm close to 250!! Honestly since I know I'm having the surgery my eating habits have gotten a lot worse. I'm gaining weight very quickly. My doc wanted me to get to 235 before the surgery and in my mind I was like oh that will be easy since I was only about 3-4 lbs away from that but NOW im well away from that. I don't even have my surgery date yet. I have completed all my preop appointments and I'm waiting for all of the paperwork to come back so it can be submitted to the insurance company. Hopefully by the end of the week it will be submitted. Any tips or ideas I should follow? ð??"ð??"

Pretty Girls Rock!!

jesuiscrystal
on 7/11/16 5:41 pm - Urbana, IL
VSG on 07/12/16

That's quite a bit of weight gain in a short time. Could it be fluid?

Don't wait until surgery to change your eating habits. I started trying to follow the nutritionist's guidelines after my first appointment. My surgery is tomorrow, so I've just gone through the two week pre-op diet, and I am certain that working to change my habits early on helped me tremendously during this difficult diet. 

prettisleeve
on 7/11/16 6:31 pm

I don't think it's fluid....I think it's just me eating whatever because I won't be able to eat like this again. I really need to start preparing my mind more for what's coming.

Bookfool
on 7/12/16 4:00 am - Edgartown, MA
VSG on 07/18/16

I did the same: as soon as I had my consult I started trying different protein sources and generally following a post-op diet but with enough calories that I wasn't famished. I figured it'd be easier all around -- easier to be on the pre-op diet, the recovery diet, and the eventual stage 4 sleeve diet...and result in less weight to lose! 

(deactivated member)
on 7/11/16 5:48 pm

Question is why are you choosing to eat more at this time? Fear, excitement, the last hurrah. I think it would help to have an idea why this is happening. I can understand all the above reasons playing in there but this is a time when you need to start learning new behaviors. Those behavoirs are what will make this work for you for the rest of your life. Does your ins co or Dr require you to lose a % of your excess weight before surgery or does the Dr just suggest it?

You don't have a surgery date yet so you may have enough time left to get down to 235 if you start now. I started drinking two protein shakes a day and then  having a salad and a small meal for dinner as soon as I decided for sure that I wanted surgery. You have many options for cutting your calories and if you are not active becoming more active before surgery.

Lots of us here will help and support you in any way we can. Just keep posting so we can understand more.

Good luck.

prettisleeve
on 7/11/16 6:37 pm

Thanks so much! I think I'm just having this last hurrah but it's not a smart decision for me. I tell myself oh it's ok you won't eat it again. You know what I'm going to lose this weight! I'm going to get down to 235 or less before this surgery. That's a promise! I have to just stop making excuses and do it!

jachristmas
on 7/11/16 6:29 pm
VSG on 12/14/16

My surgeon requires us to lose a % of weight before surgery. My consult was May 19th and since then I have been eating a high protein/low carb diet and have dropped almost 20 lbs. I stopped all soft drinks and try to avoid bread, pasta, rice or potatoes. I switched to decaf tea and coffee (no sugar). I have also been trying out some of the protein shakes. I also have increased my water and started walking. You can do this, you just have to be aware of what you are putting in your mouth. Maybe start a food journal so you can see better what you are actually taking in. I have found tons of helpful tips on this site...these guys are awesome! 

prettisleeve
on 7/11/16 6:39 pm

Thank you! I'm going to do this! I know I can...I think it would help if I kept a food journal. I love coffee especially Starbucks. That's one of my weakness, I am trying to find an alternative to it. I am trying really hard to get into protein shakes but I have not found one I like.

jachristmas
on 7/11/16 6:46 pm
VSG on 12/14/16

I really like the premier protein shakes. I have also tried Muscle Milk Light and Syntrax Nectar. There are lots of flavors with the Syntrax, sometimes variety helps. I ordered the sample pack the other day after someone posted the link. I usually have one for breakfast and helps keep me satisfied longer and less likely to overeat later.

Renren
on 7/11/16 7:07 pm
VSG on 12/02/15

Some people have "Food Funerals" but there is no need for that. There is no food that you will not eventually be able to eat, you just won't  be able to eat as much. And you will probably have less desire for it. And want to make better choices. It usually takes longer for the surgery to be scheduled than we think it will, so get on the ball, you can do it.

5'2.5" Surgery date/ 12-02-15 Dr.Valentine Boise ID

Highest:289 SW/212 CW 122

Goal/125-130

Goal reached at 10 months

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 270 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views