What were you allowed to drink post VSG??

cabin111
on 7/17/16 9:17 pm

Yeah, I know each doctor is different.  But for the first week, aside from water, was it just broth, popcicles, and jello. When were you allowed whey protein isolate?  Was it a week after surgery?  Is that the usual number of days?? 

califsleevin
on 7/17/16 9:50 pm - CA

Pretty much anything drinkable and low calorie (or at least low calorie relative to nutrition, which allows for the protein drinks.) IIRC, they didn't want any carbonated drinks, avoid caffeine and alky was a strict no-no during weight loss. Protein shakes were standard from the day I got home from the hospital until they were no longer needed to ensure adequate protein. Such liquids were an early staple but not a limitation as mushy and soft stuff like other soups, yogurt, puddings, eggs, etc. were also acceptable and encouraged as tolerated.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

(deactivated member)
on 7/17/16 11:26 pm

No juice, no carbonation, no caffeine, no alcohol. Otherwise, it was anything that would go right through a sieve. Required- 3 protein shakes per day. Then goal was an additional 40 oz of fluids - preferably water. 

katblue
on 7/18/16 3:25 am
VSG on 04/06/16

I had my whey protein isolate from day 2.  Actually, it was critical to have the whey protein isolate as that was the ONLY way I could get my protein.  I could also have caffeine free crystal light - basically anything low/no cal, no carbonation, and no caffeine. So, also yes to broth, popsicles and jello.

5'7"  Start Wt 268.5 / VSG SURGERY 4/6/16 249.5 / CW 192

/ GOAL 158

M1-24  M2-9  M3-11.9 M4 - in progress

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 7/18/16 6:19 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I'm just curious, wouldn't the post op plan for rny'rs be similar to post vsg'rs.? I mean other than worrying about sugar & getting in the vitamins wouldn't the post op plan for the most part be the same., or very similar?

Just wondering what was different for rny'rs post op right after surgery.

Ditto for what was said by the posters mentioned earlier, no caffeine, carbonation wasn't a problem for my Dr, he did say to let it air out a little so it could get a little flat. No problem taking whey isolate protein shakes. I didn't have to wait a week. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

stacyrg
on 7/18/16 11:12 am
VSG on 05/12/14

I originally had VSG and converted to RNY on 7/1 because of acid reflux.  To answer your question, under my surgeon's plan, there is zero difference on the post op diet for RNY v. Sleeve.  The're identical.  My surgeon's plan allows for water, propel, G2, Pedilyte, decaf coffee, decaf tea, broth, popsicles, sugar free ices.  They give you a protein shake in the hospital the morning after surgery and for the first 2 weeks, they want you on 2-3 shakes a day plus 64 oz of other liquid

stacyrg
on 7/18/16 11:14 am
VSG on 05/12/14
califsleevin
on 7/18/16 1:07 pm, edited 7/18/16 6:07 am - CA

Generally, most programs use the same protocols for both procedures out of convenience if for no other reason. From what I have seen over the years, the DS oriented practices tend to have more aggressive or rapid progressions than the typical RNY based program - mushy and soft foods allowable as tolerated from the outset rather than phasing through different liquid stages until getting to that point. One can infer that the sleeve is a somewhat more robust structure than the RNY pouch, and I suspect that the junction between the pouch and intestines, being different tissue types, takes longer to heal than the sleeve which only joins like tissues (and is indeed why the RNY is much more sensitive to NSAID use than the sleeve.) Nutritionally, some programs may split the supplement regimens due to the absorption differences between the two procedures while others will keep them common out of convenience, and adjust things later on as lab tests dictate. Overkill on those supplements isn't particularly dangerous other than to the sanity of the patient trying to juggle extra doses of iron and calcium than may be needed.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

(deactivated member)
on 7/18/16 6:20 am

Pretty much anything aside from caffeine, juices and carbonated drinks. I drank a lot of thinned out yogurt . It just seemed to sit well in my tummy.

happyteacher
on 7/18/16 8:34 am

This various by plan... for me I was on full liquids, so protein shakes were fine. I did a lot of clear broth, Crystal light, and found plain water needed a squeeze of lemon or something. Warm tea really helped at first as the sleeve was at times a little tempermental and not liking cold when warm would do just fine. I also did high protein hot chocolate. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active