3 years out with a question/Crampy Sleeve

jen_vsg_4me
on 7/19/16 3:42 pm, edited 7/19/16 3:51 pm - Iaeger, WV
VSG on 01/23/13

I haven't been here in quite a while!  I had VSG in January of 2013. I lost 160 pounds the first year, surpassing my goal. I never had any complications whatsoever, and everything has been awesome!  During the past year, I have gained back some weight, but not much, so I am still extremely happy with my progress. Now, I have a question. I do plan on calling my doctor tomorrow, but since I can't do that right now, I thought I would ask if anyone else has experienced this.

A couple months ago (maybe longer) I was eating, and I laughed or something and felt a cramp in my stomach area... like where my actual stomach (sleeve) is, or that general area. It hurt and was uncomfortable but only lasted a few seconds and I just forgot about it. Since then, it has happened a few times. Sometimes, when I twist or if I'm tense, I can feel the slight cramp in that area. It feels like right where my sleeve is. I have no discomfort eating or using the bathroom. The past few days, that area feels more noticeable to me. I don't feel a cramp, but it just feels gurgly and maybe tight?  No pain.

I have talked myself into worrying that I have a twisted stomach or intestine. I looked up the symptoms, but they are severe and I don't have pain, other than an occasional cramp there. I don't have nausea or vomiting. I don't have diarrhea or constipation. I just have an odd sensation, like a cramp or tightness in the stomach area, and it's all gurgly there today.

I think I would feel a lot better if the doctor could just do a sonogram or whatever just to make sure all is well.

Does anyone have any input? Have you had a twisted sleeve or bowel? Do my symptoms sound like that? Or, if you've had similar symptoms as me, what was your diagnosis?

I am calling my doc tomorrow...just wanted to maybe ease my mind until then.

cmysix
on 7/19/16 5:34 pm

I've not had my surgery yet, But since my Gall Bladder surgery I get a intense muscle cramp in my abdominal muscle. I mean intense! maybe the laparoscopic incision? post what the Dr. says

jen_vsg_4me
on 7/19/16 6:02 pm - Iaeger, WV
VSG on 01/23/13

Thanks for the reply. I will definitely update with the doctor's response. It could very well be a muscle, but I just don't know, so I really want to make sure.

Keith L.
on 7/19/16 6:20 pm - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I am coming up on my 4 year anniversary and I have experience that a number of times as well. Its always short and temporary so I never really worry about it. Would like to hear your prognosis.

k

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

jen_vsg_4me
on 7/19/16 6:59 pm - Iaeger, WV
VSG on 01/23/13

Keith, this makes me feel a lot better. Can you describe what you experience? Is there anything in particular you do that makes it go away?

Keith L.
on 7/20/16 3:58 am - Navarre, FL
VSG on 09/28/12

I get two versions one where I end up dry heaving which usually resolves right away. This has actually woken me from a sound sleep. The other which is more cramp or pinch like standing up straight and stretching out my abdominals helps. My guess is these are muscle spasms and probably nothing to be concerned about. That being said I have no medical training whatsoever so my advice is worth about 5 cents if were to give you a nickel for listening to me.

I would also think if you had some sort of blockage or stricture they would be much more frequent. I doubt a sonogram would show much they would more likely opt for an endoscopy to see what happens.

Now just to play devils advocate, does this cramping come along with an increase in stomach acid or acid reflux? because that could be indicative of an hiatal hernia and you would need an endoscopy to determine that.

VSG: 9/28/2012 - Dr. Sergio Verboonen  My Food/Recipe Blog - MyBigFatFoodie.com

?My Fitness Pal Profile ?View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

jen_vsg_4me
on 7/20/16 6:04 pm - Iaeger, WV
VSG on 01/23/13

I went to the ER today. They did lab work and an X-ray. The lab work was perfect, but the X-ray showed significant constipation. They gave me 3 different meds to get me started. I've been in the bathroom quite a bit since then and I have to say it is making a difference. 

The thing is I didn't think I was constipated. I won't go into details about that, but they explained to me what was happening.

I'm definitely relieved that it wasn't anything worse.  My husband said he always knew I was full of it. LOL

I know I need to drink more water. That's probably the culprit here. I am definitely going to do better. 

My youtube channel is http://www.youtube.com/user/ShrinkingJenn

Surgery Date: January 23, 2013

Most Active