one month out and soooo tired

Anne O.
on 7/30/16 8:28 am - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

Today I started my day with a poached egg and about 4 oz of almond milk with a scoop of genepro. Shortly after, I felt very nauseated, but couldn't throw up and then sat down to watch a TV show to let the nausea pass, got up shortly after with diarrhea and could not keep my eyes open. I fell asleep in the chair - very tired. I still have very little energy. I have had diarrhea since surgery - only one normal BM since surgery. 

I hope my energy level comes back because I have to go back to work on 8/8. I am on wellbutrin for the depression I've had since surgery. I have no energy and no desire to do anything. I feel like I am just dragging myself through the day. I hate this. I hope the wellbutrin starts working soon and I need my energy back. 

I see my PCP to go over the labs they drew last week. I am getting in plenty of fluids (at least 80 oz a day, sometimes more) and taking my vitamins and supplements. I am getting in at least 60 grams of protein a day, too.  I just can't eat much food. I'm not tracking my calories, but I'd guess I'm getting less than 600 calories a day. 

-Anne 

suecampbell
on 7/30/16 9:49 am
VSG on 07/01/16

Oh sweetie, I feel for you!  I think the diarrhea is a real problem here...maybe you are drinking TOO MUCH water?  Or perhaps adding something to it (like a sugar-free sweetener) that is causing your diarrhea?  Some people are really sensitive to those.  I aim for 2 litres (64 oz) per day, and sometimes I don't make that, but it's plenty, I have no dehydration problems.  

Are you taking your vitamins religiously?  You might need to add more iron, but your labs should tell you that, so that will be good feedback to get.  Some of us gals just need way more iron than others, for no reason that anyone can define.

Some foods are binding (constipating), like cheese...putting a bit of shredded cheese on whatever you are eating might help.

I'm told that a low calorie count this early on isn't really that big a deal, as long as we are hitting our protein goals. 

In the meantime...SLEEP.  Don't worry about exercise at this stage, other than gentle walking.  Your body craves sleep, so SLEEP.  Set a timer when it's time to take vitamins, time to eat, etc.  It's the weekend, so spend a couple of days in bed!  Read, nap, watch some tv, nap some more...knit...nap...you get the idea.

Please keep us posted on how you are feeling...more experienced members here will have some good ideas too.  I'm only one day behind you in terms of surgery, so not very experienced!  I'm so sorry you're having such a rough go.  I'll be thinking about you!

honeywell
on 7/30/16 10:24 am

I'm 16 days post-op today and I'm exhausted. I went shopping yesterday and barely did 3200 steps and was absolutely worn out.

I hope this passes soon because it's really depressing me. I feel like, what's the point of all this if I can't do anything? 

happyteacher
on 7/30/16 9:39 pm

Hi Anne,

Sorry to read you are fatigued to that extent. The persistent diarrehea seems to be a bit more than normal. Any chance you might now be lactose intolerant?  It is somewhat common to not be prior to surgery, and then develop some intolerance afterward. Some new to the use of sweetners somethimes also have issues. Hang in there- right around the 6 week mark I started to gain stamina. I also gently suggest you track- you might be falling very short on protein or other key nutrients and not realizing it. It will also help you to determine an eating pattern that might be causing the stomach issues. Hang in there!!

/

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Anne O.
on 8/1/16 10:04 am - Jacksonville, FL
Revision on 06/30/16

I think it's the Wellbutrin causing the diarhea - that's a side effect.

Anne 
314/252/175
pre-op/current/goal
5'6"

Valerie G.
on 8/1/16 10:02 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

It was a good six weeks before I started feeling more like myself.  Your body is asking for more time to heal, so get the rest it needs.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views