Head hunger...

Anita
on 9/29/16 6:16 am

I hope you realize that I was being a little bit facetious. Most people don't recognize that in actuality we utilize those skills fairly regularly in everyday life and in so many diverse activities.

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

Gwen M.
on 9/29/16 7:21 am
VSG on 03/13/14

This made me LOL :D

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

happyteacher
on 9/29/16 3:36 am

The only thing education hurts is your pocket book. I am a strong believer in pursuing a path that sustains you more than just financially, and if this provides a platform for you to move into a position that feeds your soul as well as your wallet then it is a just path indeed.

Head hunger can be difficult, but the approach you used was stellar. I would gently suggest you simply be aware of the all or nothing type thinking though. If you do slip up, I would be aware that a spiral might occur due to the old diet patterns that tend to hound us all. A critical skill to acquire, in my humble opinion, is learning how to crawl back on the wagon should it occur. Congratulations on your success and commitment so far!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Anita
on 9/29/16 6:46 am

Cannot agree with you more about the fact that education feeds not only your wallet, but your soul as well......for me, learning something new all the time is vital......whether it is formal type of education / training or some kind of investigation of how to improve on the things we already do. I applaud anyone who seeks to enrich their minds at any age.....it's what keeps the mind functioning.

I like what you said about the difficulties of head hunger. You are so right about being careful regarding old diet patterns being a potential issue. We certainly could eat what my nutritionist calls "slider foods" (I don't know if that's her term or a universal term), but that doesn't mean we should eat them. Although I'm still fairly new to the sleeve, I know that this is not a short term thing and that it has to be a lifelong plan. When I'm home, my meals are 95 to 100% dense protein and the only times I allow myself those teaspoonful tastes of anything else is when I'm out with other people for dinner (I swipe a taste from my boyfriend's plate). I don't even keep the "forbidden foods" in my kitchen, but as I live alone, it's much easier.

As always, this board is an invaluable resource for information and encouragement!

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

Gwen M.
on 9/29/16 6:06 am
VSG on 03/13/14

I wouldn't worry too much about maintenance now, since it'll take time to get there.  But what I would keep in mind is that the way you're eating now is how you will be eating for the rest of your life.  These are changes you'll need to maintain for the rest of your life.  Maintenance really won't be that different from now.  This is forever.  

And I totally hear you about college vs. taking care of yourself.  It's hard to balance.  My last term (Spring 2016) was hell between a horrible A&P course (horrible professor) and my dad dying.  Taking care of myself really fell by the wayside.  This term is significantly better so far and I've been able to reclaim my exercise and healthy habits.  It's all about finding balance.  And sometimes I just have to force myself to do things because I know I'll feel better.  Like this morning.  I didn't want to run but I did anyway because I know that it'll wake me up and help me to be focused for the rest of the day.  

One of the things that has made a difference in my life is bullet journaling.  (bulletjournal.com, I think)  It's a planner method that is VERY adaptable.  It helps me to see what I need to do each day and really helps with my planning, organization, and time management.  

Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Queen_Q89
on 9/29/16 6:24 am - FL
VSG on 02/19/15

I have hit a stall for some reason, and I know that Ive been on track. For some reason in the mornings it seems like I gain a pound and then by the afternoon I see a lower weight. Ive been eating proteins and ive started adding a little salsa (10 calories per 2 tbsp). I want to eat only protein most likely backed or grilled chicken to get back on track but I feel that once I start back using salsa or making things like mini meatloaves I'll start back gaining, or stalling.

Gwen M.
on 9/29/16 7:09 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Weight fluctuates up to 7 pounds a day just normally.  You might want to only weigh yourself once a day instead of multiple times.  That's a better way to see trends and know if you're actually losing/gaining weight.  

If you add those things in excess, you will gain weight or stall.  But if you add those things appropriately, you'll be fine.  Salsa can have sugar in it - so be careful.  Meatloaves are awesome, but can have carbs due to filler/bread.  Just be conscientious, track your calories, weigh portions, and you'll be fine.  

psychoticparrot
on 9/29/16 7:20 am

Queen wrote: "I've had a change of heart and decided to go back to school for my masters in psychology! ... Not to mention my nursing mentors think that I'm crazy for this..."

Hahaha! If you're crazy, then psychology is exactly what you need! And education is never a waste, even if you don't follow through with a career.

1. If you keep eating lean, green, and clean, you'll find that your cravings for sweets will ebb (not go away, just diminish).
  2. On that note, although Diet Snapple has no calories, it's highly processed (despite its claim of containing the "best stuff on earth"), and can make your sugar cravings worse. Try to develop a taste for nonsweetened or only slightly sweetened drinks. I've cut sugar and other sweeteners out of my diet so well that cookies and candy taste unpleasantly sweet to me now. This helps greatly when the craving****
  3. Personally, I think going all-protein is a mistake. My diet is about 70% protein and 30% healthy carbs (vegetables and fruits). Veg and fruit have nutrition and fiber that, IMO, are essential to a healthy diet. Just remember to eat the protein first, then have a few bites of a simply prepared non-starchy veg or a piece of fruit (avoid the really sweet fruit -- pineapple, mangoes, grapes -- and have an apple or pear instead). Not all sleevers agree with this. Just my own opinion and experience.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Queen_Q89
on 9/29/16 11:21 am - FL
VSG on 02/19/15
On September 29, 2016 at 2:20 PM Pacific Time, psychoticparrot wrote:

Queen wrote: "I've had a change of heart and decided to go back to school for my masters in psychology! ... Not to mention my nursing mentors think that I'm crazy for this..."

Hahaha! If you're crazy, then psychology is exactly what you need! And education is never a waste, even if you don't follow through with a career.

1. If you keep eating lean, green, and clean, you'll find that your cravings for sweets will ebb (not go away, just diminish).
  2. On that note, although Diet Snapple has no calories, it's highly processed (despite its claim of containing the "best stuff on earth"), and can make your sugar cravings worse. Try to develop a taste for nonsweetened or only slightly sweetened drinks. I've cut sugar and other sweeteners out of my diet so well that cookies and candy taste unpleasantly sweet to me now. This helps greatly when the craving****
  3. Personally, I think going all-protein is a mistake. My diet is about 70% protein and 30% healthy carbs (vegetables and fruits). Veg and fruit have nutrition and fiber that, IMO, are essential to a healthy diet. Just remember to eat the protein first, then have a few bites of a simply prepared non-starchy veg or a piece of fruit (avoid the really sweet fruit -- pineapple, mangoes, grapes -- and have an apple or pear instead). Not all sleevers agree with this. Just my own opinion and experience.

psychoticparrot

Lol. Omg I love greens like spinach, and arugula, but I have been staying away from them because im trying to lose weight and people were telling me that greens are empty calories (they barely have calories) I just hear so many different things on here that I get confused about this process. I want to be able to eat clean and get to my goal in a way that I know I can maintain for the rest of my life! I love salads, and things of that nature but I literally eat so little that I cant fit it all in. The only way I can see my self being able to eat more variety would be to cut back on some of my meats. I eat 3oz so maybe 2oz meat 1oz spinach. Im even thinking about lettuce cups!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 9/30/16 4:22 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I get head hunger a lot especially in the evening.  I found that having protein rich snacks works best to turn it off.  

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 94 views