Diabetic and very insulin resistant pre-surgery

JustElena
on 12/5/16 9:26 am
VSG on 10/18/16

Curious if anyone out there was diabetic and VERY insulin resistant before ur sleeve. And if so how has your weight loss, diabetes, and what diet did u chose to use? How have u fared? I'm very curious.

A lot of people seem to assume that I never knew how to eat right since I was overweight but when your insulin resistant it's a very different story. I spent two years on a strict diet, and working out and lost 12 lbs in those 2 years only to find out the reason I lost any weight at all was because I needed insulin, which of course put the 12 pounds back on, and then another 12.

It was very frustrating. But on the other end of the scale, I spent 9 months without a kitchen (flood and remodel)and we ate out 2 meals a day for 9 months. So I gave up on eating healthy and ate whatever and how much I wanted every single day for 9 months. At the end of 9 months of eating out I'd only gained 2lbs. Crazy right. My body is insane. 

So that was my life before. I've been on tons of diets, never cheated on them and never lost. Been to all sorts of Dr's and all sorts of testing and they don't know why, other than extreme insulin resistance.

So that is my story in a nutshell. I've lost about 29 lbs since I started the liquid diet 10 days before surgery to now, 7 weeks after surgery. So while I'm not losing quickly, I'm estatic that for the first time every I'm actually losing.

Curious to hear any other diabetic/insulin resistant stories and how you've been faring after surgery. curious about ur diet too.

Donna L.
on 12/5/16 6:24 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I was about to go on insulin pre-op.  Didn't. Fasting glucose was 180 day of surgery.  Day after it was between 75-85 all day.

The best diet for T2 Diabetes is, hands down, a low carb diet.  There are people who control and resolve theirs without medicine (under medical supervision).  It can undo much of the problematic insulin resistance.  The problem is that insulin causes fat storage.  Going on insulin will guarantee you gain weight.  I always refused it for this reason.

I will always eat under 50-75g carbs/day max for the rest of my life, and typically lower than that.  Our body can make all the glucose it needs.  We don't need to eat it.  

My weight did crash to a halt for 2-3 months, which is why I'm doing as close to zero carb as I can for a few weeks to "reboot" it.  It was a combination of 90% my crappy behavior, and 10% my crappy metabolism.  Those of us who were severely metabolically deranged may need malabsorption.  The RNY and DS both resolve diabetes far better than the sleeve long term.  The sleeve is helpful but does not have the same effect.  I have no idea why mine did, other than sheer dumb luck.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/6/16 5:44 am

I never dealt with what you dealig with .. But at one time I dealt with severe RH - restive hypoglycemia - the way my body was reacting to sugar and too many lean proteins... (proteins can cause insulin response - Google food insulin index)

What help me was reading on diabetes - Dr Berstein diabetes approach... I slowly added fat and reduced carbs and made sure my meals were more balanced for me - not too many proteins at one time to avoid the insulin spike ... 

http://www.diabetes-book.com/about/

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

JustElena
on 12/6/16 6:53 am
VSG on 10/18/16

I should have said I'm doing amazing since the surgery. No problems whatsoever, I'm just curious if anyone else out there started with similar pre-op problems as I did, and how they are doing now.

Jammur
on 12/6/16 3:36 pm
VSG on 10/12/16

I have type 2 diabetes. I had considered the bypass because it cures type 2 diabetes instantly in some cases, but I chose the vertical sleeve because it was less invasive. My A1C prior to the surgery was 8.8 or so. My blood sugar was over 300 a lot of the times. I was very insulin resistant. I was taking Humolog before every meal (40 units) and taking Lantus at night (60 units) on top of that, I was taking 2000 mg of metformin, and also 300mg of Invokana and Januvia. All of that and my blood sugar was still out of control.

Within a couple of weeks after my surgery, I was off Invokana and Januvia. Also, my doctor put me on a sliding scale for the Humolog and cut my Lantus in half. I can say that in the last few weeks I have not had to take any Humolog at all, and my blood sugar this morning was 83! I spike after meals to around 130, which is way better than 300!!

This surgery is saving my life. I can't be happier. I am losing 3-4 pounds a week. My surgeon wants me to lose 5 a week, and I know I can do better, but I am not complaining. Even if I did not lose another pound it would be worth it just to get off of 3 medications for diabetes. But I am not finished. I am just beginning. I hope this is the kind of information you were looking for.

JustElena
on 12/6/16 4:41 pm
VSG on 10/18/16

Ur results sound wonderful so far! I am very happy for u. I too was on lots of medication and slow acting insulin and was able to go off all my meds 3 days after surgery. My fasting blood sugars are a little high at 100, but still decent. 

At one point my A1c was 10.3 and I had to work for 6 months to get it low enough for my dr to agree to do my surgery. I got it down to 7.6 I think it was and they scheduled surgery.

Even if I'm losing slow I'm still just so excited I'm losing!!

Hope u have a happy and successful journey!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views