Two weeks post-op, accident, recovery and a question

KittEKatt
on 2/16/17 4:42 am
VSG on 01/30/17

Thank you all for the warm welcome I received when I joined this forum.  I am sorry I have not posted since that first day, but it is because I had a terrible in-home accident that hospitalized me.  I was feeling great and doing very well, 12 days post-op.   Unfortunately, I lost my balance and fell backwards and headfirst down a flight of stairs in my home and severely injured myself. Aside from the very ugly broken nose, black eyes and facial cuts and bruising, I fractured two ribs and  sustained a head injury that resulted in bleeding on my brain. Thankfully I am out of immediate danger and am just dealing with the discomfort from the broken bones. Good news is, I have kept strict to my doctor's very rigid post-op diet and I have lost 17 lbs in two weeks. 

My question is: Did anyone gain or stop losing once they were advanced to mushy foods? I still have two weeks before that happens but I am a little worried about it. Thanks!

--Katt 

cappy11448
on 2/16/17 4:51 am

I am so sorry to hear about your fall.  How awful! 

It is common to have a stall in the third week post op.  It often happens at the same time as the shift to mushy foods, but  I don't think its related.  Its just the body taking some time to re-adjust after the initial weight loss.  Its very common, and frustrates us all.  But keep in mind that stalls are normal.  Its how our bodies work.  If you keep to plan, you will lose the weight over time.

Looking back at my weight loss,  I lost 225 pounds in 18 months which is pretty amazing.  But when I was going thru it, I often felt frustrated.  So try to keep your vision on the big picture.  Some weeks will be stalls, but it doesn't mean the weight loss has stopped.  It just doesn't show on the scale uniformly

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

KittEKatt
on 2/16/17 4:54 am, edited 2/15/17 8:56 pm
VSG on 01/30/17

Thank you so much, Carol. That helps! Congratulations on your amazing loss. Have a great day 

patchoulli
on 2/16/17 4:54 am - port charlotte, FL

I only had liquids for three days, been mushed 10 days, lost 7 lbs since 2/3, so no.  I go on to solids, chicken, fish, no red meat in 2 days.  I find that tuna or chicken salad, lasts longer than yogurt and cottage cheese.  I am so glad you are doing better!  Few years ago I had a motorcycle accident, concussion and left leg broken 8 places, rod put in.  I got home, and somehow stood up,  my leg couldn't hold me, and of course went down, breaking 3 ribs!  That hurt the worst!   Glad you are back!

KittEKatt
on 2/16/17 5:01 am
VSG on 01/30/17

Thank you, Patchoulli. I'm so sorry to hear about your double accident. Ouch! 

My doctor's post op protocol is for two weeks of clear liquid, two weeks of full liquid (all sugar free) then advance on week five to soft cooked veggies, mashed potatoes, cottage cheese and yogurt. The rest has to wait until week 8. I just figure I am taking in so few calories now, that when I do advance, it will be more difficult to continue to lose because those foods will be naturally higher in calories. Probably worrying for nothing but I've had a lot of time to think! Thanks and congratulations to you!

Readyjwc
on 2/16/17 5:15 pm
VSG on 01/05/17

Oh dear Lord Kitt - thank goodness you're recovering! Wow.

As for your question, I had been losing about a lb a day for the first 2 weeks (after the gas and fluids from the surgery went away). Then, I hit the dreaded 3 week stall. Stayed the same for just about 5 days. Ugggh. When I started eating mushy, I noticed that the weigh comes off much more slowly. I've had 2 days now that I've been trying to lose .2 lbs to get to wonderland. I know it will come so I just stick to the plan. It'll happen.

Anyway, congrats on the 17 lbs - at least something good came out of this horrific event.

Gosh.

Take care and get well.

-Jan

Height 5'4 Starting weight: 225 Surgery weight: 216 Goal Weight: 135 Surgery date: 1/23/17 Portsmouth, NH

The little engine that could.....

Anita
on 2/16/17 8:12 pm

Oh NO.......what a frightening thing to happen! So sorry that you've been going through this, but happy to hear that you are on the mend and thrilled for you that you've been able to stay on your program despite this upheaval.

Yes, there's that dreaded Week Three Stall that so many people seem to go through. Just keep doing what you've been doing and you'll get past that stall and back to losing. Just don't let it get you down - you'll see time and time again, this comes up with newbies and the answer is always the same....it's the Week Three Stall.

Best of everything in your recovery and on continued success with your weight loss.

Good friends are like stars. 
You don't always see them but you always know they're there. 

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views