Questions about being prepared for after surgery.

Nikki B.
on 2/20/17 7:49 pm

So like most if not all of us, I'm trying to be prepared as much as possible to make this transition to the other side as easy as possible. Can y'all please tell me how to prepare for clothes? One reason is for comfort after surgery so what did you wear? And the other is because I've been told you drop fast in the beginning so how do I plan for that? 

We are going to be staying at my moms after surgery for a short time (hopefully) since my husband works shift work and I have a 6 year old so I'm trying to have my liquid foods there planned too. Any helpful hints as to what you wanted more of? 

I'm so appreciative of the support in this group. Y'all are awesome! 

Thank you so much. Those on the other side... I'm coming for you and I'll be there in 35 days and counting!!! 

Sleeved on 3.27.17 5'7" HW: 359 SW: 335.8 CW: 257 GW: 140

I am an extremely proud Momma & Blessed Wife from South Louisiana.

MissNexxie
on 2/20/17 8:52 pm
VSG on 04/30/14

Congrats on your upcoming surgery!

For the immediate hospital needs your clothing musts are:  easy-to-slip on shoes (no buckles, laces or straps because you cannot bend over) and some sort of loose dress.  Nothing that touches your waist (like skirts or pants) as your stomach will be tender.  You might be weak, too, so something easy to put on is best.  I wore a loose sundress and my granny panties.  Once I got home, nightgown and robe for a few days.

Also, make sure there's a pillow in the car to put between your stomach and the seat belt - again, there will be tenderness.

For the first weeks after surgery when I was home I mostly wore maxi dresses so my waist was not being rubbed against.  Plus dresses are great for that big weight loss jump, you can wear them a long while and belt them later on when they get super loose.

As for liquids:  I drank a lot of broth and also enjoyed the Unjury Chicken protein powder.  Wasn't a huge fan of sweet protein powders/drinks too much so the saltiness of the Unjury really helped.

Good luck!

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Nikki B.
on 2/20/17 9:56 pm

Thank you soooo much for your awesome advice. I've written the protein powder down and will make sure I order it. I was thinking dresses and gowns would be my friend so I'll be sure to do that! 

You really helped me a lot. Thanks for sharing with me!

Valerie G.
on 2/21/17 1:09 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

Do not buy a big container of any protein.  Instead, get several single servings to try different brands and flavors -- and do NOT try any of them until after surgery.  What tastes great today can mimic poison as a post op.  I can't say why - it just does that to you.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Nikki B.
on 2/21/17 8:44 pm

Thank you so much for that! I definitely will do that!

(deactivated member)
on 2/20/17 8:56 pm
VSG on 12/28/16

I wore jeans and tshirt to the hospital and was fine wearing that the next day.  The thing that bothered me was my underwire bra because one incision is right below rib cage. I got sick of chicken broth real quick so I bought a few soups that I liked and just drained off the meat or vegetables. Cream of chicken and cream of mushroom was a lifesaver when I was off clear liquids.  Decaf tea to make decaf iced tea is my staple drink even now. Sugar free pudding felt good going down. I wish I had bought sugar free ice pops early on. Good to take when you are thirsty but can't manage another sip of water.  And don't forget a few protein shakes. You should be fine with clothes as long as they're stretchy. Welcome to the other side! I'm 8 weeks out and down 40 lbs now. No issues and not looking back. One more thing is to make sure you're off caffeine before surgery.  I still miss my diet colas but I can't imagine trying to give it up right after surgery. Good Luck!

Nikki B.
on 2/20/17 9:57 pm

Thank you so much for sharing with me. I've taken notes and will be prepared. I'm so excited for my journey to begin. And it's a blessing to have people here that understands! 

Thanks again!!! 

Gwen M.
on 2/21/17 4:52 am
VSG on 03/13/14

For surgery I wore a shapeless baggy dress to the hospital and the same on the way home from the hospital.  

For post-op, I found that even though I dropped weight quickly, I did not drop sizes quickly.  It was months before I needed to buy new clothes.  I figure this is because my clothes were ill-fitting and too tight when I had surgery, so it took time for them to fit right and then more time for them to be "too baggy to wear."  

At that point I tried to find jeans that fit and ended up switching to adjustable waist skirts for everything.  They're cheap from various vendors and I've pretty much worn the same skirts for the last 2 years.  GREAT investment for me.  I just buy new shirts as necessary, but I've found that shirts are more forgiving with sizes than bottoms are.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Notaboutperfect
on 2/21/17 6:41 am
VSG on 11/08/16

I am a little over three months out and am just getting to the point of having to buy new clothes.  I am swimming in them, but have held out as long as I could so I can save a little $$. 

I echo all the great advice above, the only thing I have to add is that I'm very thankful for my wedge pillow.  It elevates me while I sleep, which helped right out of surgery with getting out of bed, and has helped with reflux at night.

I hope this month flies by for you

MissNexxie
on 2/21/17 7:27 am
VSG on 04/30/14

I second the wedge pillow.  A definite lifesaver for those first couple weeks for the reasons listed above.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Most Active