Rate of loss after surgery?

Bamabutterfly69
on 5/20/17 6:42 am
VSG on 05/24/17

Did everyone have poor eating habits prior to surgery? I know thats a poor way to word it but I dont know how else to. I am asking becuase I am not losing much during this liquid pre op diet. I know its mainly to shrink the liver and no weight loss is required but I see lots of people losing 10-15 lbs or more. I am not and I am following it to a tee. I am wondering if it is because I use to starve myself most the day .. so the liquid diet is surely a major reduction in calories but for someone who wasnt getting calories in anyway , I wouldnt expect them to lose rapidly as if it were someone who did drastically cut calories. How will this affect me after surgery? Will it be slow loss ? Any ideas?

Mary S.
on 5/20/17 7:55 am - Eden Prairie , MN
VSG on 05/15/17
I think the best thing is to follow your doctor's plan....there is a reason for each phase and if you cheat, you are only going to disrupt the process. One step at a time, this is not a quick fix, although I'd like it to be. I am post-op 6 days and on clear liquids, my head says I'm really hungry but I know I am too swollen to eat anything. So I'm just sipping, walking, etc. best of luck on your journey.

Original surgery 12/5/06 - 238

VSG 5/15/17 - SW 213.5, CW 203.5, GW 140

Grim_Traveller
on 5/20/17 8:30 am
RNY on 08/21/12

How long have you been doing the liquid diet? Short term results are unreliable. Anything less than at least a month means nothing. Weight can fluctuate from too many factors.

And yes, every single one of us ate way too much. Some find it hard to acknowledge. But you don't gain enough to qualify for surgery from eating well. We didn't have the same eating patterns, or eat the same foods. But eating too much got every single one of us here. It's the only way.

Rate of loss in pounds is all about how much excess weight you have. I lost 280 pounds. There are some on here that only weighed 210 pounds, total, at there highest weight. But they were also a foot and a half shorter than me.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Bamabutterfly69
on 5/20/17 8:46 am
VSG on 05/24/17

Today is day #10 of the liquid diet. I started it May 10. May 11 I weighed in my surgeons office at 254.8 my scale here at home today said 249. I am 5'4 Youre right that its hard to acknowledge overeating. In my defense though, I was about 140 until I got pregnant with my son, it was a rough pregnancy and for some reason I would eat and never feel full, my stomach would growl literally after I had just eaten, so I gained roughly 60lbs . I had my son and got put on the Depo provera birth control shot in the hospital , which is known to also cause weight gain.. and then I got pregnant on it 3 mos later! So , I hadnt even lost anything from having my first son and immediately was pregnant again where I again gained about 40-50 lbs. Then the weight just stuck.. I couldnt get it off. Going from about 140 to about 260 back to back like that was rough, it took a toll on my ability to move as I used to, plus I now had 2 babies to care for so exercise was minimal. I had my gallbladder out 2 yrs ago and had to make dietary changes then and I have kept to them and still not dropped anything. I cut soda out , red meat, alot of dairy and fried foods. The side effects I got from no gallbladder made me just start starving myself, I was afraid to eat normal things for fear of it goin thru me lol I stuck to what I knew wouldnt affect me.. and none of it has made me lose any weight. Surgery was my last idea. I am just hopeful it works.

Cathy H.
on 5/20/17 5:51 pm, edited 5/20/17 10:52 am
VSG on 10/31/16

You say you cut out soda, red meat, dairy and fried foods. What about pasta, rice, potatoes, chips, bread, sweets, etc.? It's carbs that get most of us, and it's carbs and eating too much that cause us to gain weight. Did you ever track exactly what you ate every day prior to starting your liquid diet? That would have been the only way to know for sure exactly what you were eating and exactly how many calories you were consuming in a day, which would have given you great insight into why you weren't losing weight.

If you did consume a lot of carbs, then surgery will help, because post-op programs are consistently high protein, low carb. You have to cut out all that bad stuff--white flour, pasta, rice, processed foods, snacks, sweets, etc.--and only eat good carbs like non-starchy veggies and low sugar fruit.

Of course, you can do this without surgery as well...if you can stick to it and maintain it. That's something only you know if you can do or not.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Bamabutterfly69
on 5/21/17 8:18 am
VSG on 05/24/17

Never was a big carb eater. Not too big on any type of potato, bakes, fried or otherwise, not big on bread either.. never rice once in a while pasta but only alfredo because I dont like red sauces much. My problem was sweets.. When I say starve myself I dont mean purposely, conciously.. I mean like I stay so busy thru the day I dont eat.. my routine was this the last few months.. coffee in the morning only.. nothing for lunch or mid day snack, then dinner which could be anything from chicken, pasta and green beans or hamburger helper with salad etc.. and then a pint of haagen dazs 2-3 times a week. I somehow justified the pints of ice cream becuase of not having breakfast or lunch during the day.. my mindset is totally different now I now have healthy options to tackle my sweet tooth.. thankful for Pinterest as I have found alot of low/no carb, gluten sugar free dessert type stuff.

Erin T.
on 5/20/17 8:25 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

We all have a list of excuses a mile long for why we're "so overweight", but the truth is - too many calories in and not enough calories out is the real problem.

That's why the initial "side effects" of the surgery - restriction, malabsorption (with RNY & DS) and lack of appetite help to jump start our weight loss. BUT, we need to work on our head most of all. I'm sure you've heard that the surgery is just a tool. It's also a tool that works most effectively in the beginning so it's important to get your head straight while it's "easy". If you were starving yourself, that's something to talk to someone about for sure!

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

(deactivated member)
on 5/20/17 11:15 am
VSG on 01/12/17

I lost 100 lbs in no time, over the course of three months, really, but I have a lot more weight to lose than you do. Small people tend to lose slower. My weight loss seems to have slowed down some, but I have stopped weighing myself every day because it was driving me nuts. Before surgery, I did not lose much weight on the liquid diet. I wouldn't worry about it.

LynnAlex
on 5/20/17 7:47 pm
RNY on 08/04/15

Because I was a fantastic yo-yo dieter, my body would ignore my attempts to lose weight. Well, that is my interpretation. It would take over 30 days of me being good on a diet for any weight loss. After 30 days, I would lose 1-3 pounds a week. The first month, nothing. I weighed 238 at my initial weigh in and used the months before surgery to go on a low-carb diet and cut coffee and diet sodas. By the time I got to the liquid diet part, I don't think I lost much weight. Also, when you weigh a lot, you lose more weight. I think percentage wise, it is the same, so if you only weigh 240 compared to a person weighing 340, you still lose x% a month. It would just be a different amount of pounds per person.

You will probably be at goal in 6-9 months if you go low carb, high protein. It may take a year, don't compare yourself to others, just stay on track.

Age 61 5'4" Consult-6/2/15: 238 SW-8/4/15: 210 CW:145 (6/30/18) M1-16#, M2-17#, M3-14#, M4-10#, M5-6#, M6-5#, M7-1#, M8 -3# Range 133-138 DexaScan 4/16/17 19% body fat---- 2016 wt avg 142-146, 2017, wt. avg 132-136, 2018 avg weight 144-146 bounce back is real.

McLassie
on 5/30/17 10:19 am
VSG on 07/25/16

My weight loss has been extremely slow. I lost less than 20 lbs in my first six weeks post-op. It was maddening at the time watching other people lose 20 lbs in the first TWO weeks, but I'm still losing. I'm down 90 lbs in about 14 months total. In the long run, it doesn't matter how quickly it comes off as long as it comes off.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views