Soooo I'm 1 month post op.....

purduebaby12
on 5/28/17 9:36 am

Hey y'all-

Thanks for all the well wishes and positive energy! This will be a update....may or may not be long...but knowing me it's gonna be long so grab some refreshments....lol

Food...

So I'm down 30lbs!!! I am back to work and feeling okay (we'll get to that later). So surgery went well I was really nauseous right after but that died down before I left the hospital I was released the next after noon. I came home with no complications or issues drinking and did 1 week of liquids 1 week of full liquids and 2 weeks of soft (which is kinda like puree stage) and now I'm on restricted full (no bread, rice, lettuce, raw fruit with out protein) So what I have learned is food is okay...not nearly as important as I used to think it was... like I was the type of person that LOVED food and now its...food nothing special just fuel... I am only able to fit 3 or so oz at any given time I weigh most all my foods because I hate that full feeling I don't even try to guess...I learned really fast that once I start to feel there is no room THERE IS NO ROOM....so I stop I don't even try to finish the last bite...I struggled to take my meds every day but I've been doing better (side note: I was prescribed a ppi my dr. said they actually help heal your stomach so that's probably why I have been doing better...) the only one that is really hard is the calcium the ones I have are chewable but they are HUGE I have to crush them in smaller portions just to get it down...anyone have a suggestion for a different not so difficult and or huge one? Oh another thing I learned very quickly...DO NOT DRINK AND EAT at least in the beginning (sleeved vets dose that change later in the journey?) I had some chicken that was kinda dry...I felt like it wasn't sitting right in my stomach so I inadvertently grabbed some water and boy oh boy was that a bad idea!!! I later realized that A. My new tummy is not currently a fan of chicken and B. wait 30 before drinking!!!! I have a lot of head hunger when I'm stress but I can identify that it is head hunger so that's good. Getting 64oz of water is hard too its like on days I get all my protein I didn't get my water on day I get all my water I didn't get my protein but I'm working on figuring out the best way to get in both! IDEAS?

Life...

For my daughters 8th grade promotion I went to dinner I ordered a bacon burger with provolone it was wrapped in lettuce but I said hold the lettuce (according to the menu it had 51g of protein) and fries on the side which I gave to Bae (wasn't even tempted to try one) I cut my burger in four (the long way) and ate a fourth and plus one bacon strip... I looked at my watch and as every one ate I just enjoyed being out... when 30mins had past I drank my water as they finished up I asked for a to go cup for fresh water and a to go box for my left overs...The old me HATED left overs it was like if you order it you MUST eat it then and there.. some people say they get a to go box right away but I felt I would make every one rush because a to go box is a sign that your meal is over....but I'm a thinker so lol don't mind me...When I got home I weighed to burger and it was 4oz so I think it may have been 6 or so to start...on to the point... I was so worried that going out would be sooooooo different once I was sleeved but it's not...it was fine the same as usual except we ordered less food...lol... In addition we don't go out as much and we have been finding new none food related things to do which is good... I have been cooking way more (but less because I now realize how off our portions were), I really enjoy cooking for my family I call my girls in and they help and it's fun... my little one even baked her first cake all by herself... I was never a fan of sweets so it wasn't tempting...I think I just like the satisfaction of feeling full...if that makes any sense...and now I don't associate fullness with satisfaction...

Pain...

So I'm okay... I'm only okay because I'm in so much pain in my largest incision...I know that some of it is my fault as I moved a wooden table a week or so ago and ever since I've been feeling it! However before this I was still in pain...I slept in my recliner for a good 2 weeks because it hurt soooooo bad to lay down my bed was to high to even get into my guest bed was to hard (the harder the bed the shorter the stay...lol) and the couch was to soft so I just stayed in the chair... but I have noticed that none of the other 5 incisions (6 total) ever hurt they were fine no issues but the one were they pulled my stomach from is not my friend. I also had my Gallbladder removed, my Dr. noticed in my pre op ultrasound that my gallbladder was filled with gallstones like completely filled!!! So he decided it had to go! I talked to my mom and we think it never functioned properly we came up with 10 times that as a child I went to the er after eating something (usually hot dogs)...but any who it's gone now..lol So with the pain I have been unable to go to the gym I've been cleared as my Dr. said "do what you can your body will tell you when to stop" lol well my body is saying stop before I even go! I would be lying if I said I was even walking every day because I'm not it hurts its like a tight... uncomfortable...sharpish pain which is how I described it to my Dr. where he replied "that's called healing... plus wooden table strain" lol he's rather funny..so for now I'm taking it easy...

Conclusion...

This is a journey and some days will be good some not so good but all in all I am so excited for the changes that are coming! So that's how my month has gone...

Where are you in your journey?

What is one thing you wish you knew before you got your vsg?

Tips for success?

sampeck
on 5/28/17 11:52 am
VSG on 05/22/17

I am one week post op as of tomorrow. Also had my gallbladder removed at the same time. No big tips yet but just wanted to say thank you for sharing! It's helpful to see what's in the near future for me.

purduebaby12
on 5/28/17 12:08 pm

Congrats!!! You're welcome!

Mary Gee
on 5/28/17 12:04 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Whew, you said a mouthful!! It's good to share! This is a place where you can share and be understood.

It's amazing how our life changes after WLS. All for the better. I wish you continued success!

Wait till you start experiencing the NSVs that come along. Some little, some huge. Some sneak up on you.

My story....I had surgery 5/14 and did fantasti****il I allowed some major life issues get in the way. Stopped losing due to poor eating, but maintained a 160 pound loss for about a year, then started to gain weight. Gained about 20 pounds, and really struggled for about a year, trying to get back on track. Finally, at long last, after trying to do it alone, I went back to my surgeon, my nutritionist and the psych for help. Surgeon did blood work, but also offered encouragement and support; nutritionalist also offered support and we agreed I should join Weigh****chers for accountability (but following my bariatric program); psych referred me to counseling, and I found a great counselor. So, I've lost 12 of the 20 pounds I gained, and soon will be back on track working towards my goal.

Tips: Make the most of the "Honeymoon Period". Keep reading the posts here....you learn so much. And continue to share....it's a give and take place.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

purduebaby12
on 5/28/17 12:15 pm

Thanks!!! Congrtas on your 12lbs!!! 8lbs to go you got this!!!!!

Mary Gee
on 5/28/17 12:19 pm - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

I do!!! And I'm feeling great about it.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 5/29/17 3:21 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Nice Mary! 12 out of 20 gone is great!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

CC C.
on 5/28/17 12:24 pm

So glad you're doing well!

purduebaby12
on 5/29/17 6:32 am

Me too...!!!

ambec0308
on 5/28/17 1:19 pm - AL
VSG on 06/28/17

Thanks for posting and letting us know how you are doing. I hope to be on the losing side of surgery soon. keep up the good work and hopefully you will feel up to exercising soon.

Lap band 5/2010 lost 37 lbs regain 22.

5/19/17 Surgery consult 201.6 lbs

6/15/17 approved by insurance(started liquid diet) 194.7lbs

6/28/17 Surgery weight 184.4

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views