Past the liquid stage

ViolentlyDelightful
on 7/28/17 10:36 am
VSG on 07/14/17

So I've reached the point that I can eat pureed food. They brought in a fake Chipotle lunch for work.(Moe's grill). I got some black beans, chicken, ground beef, pinto beans and guacamole. I figured I'd puree the food in my mouth. I've taken the tiniest bit of a each food and chewed until mush. The weird thing is that I still feel hungry but yet feel like I'm going to throw up. Even pre op I've been so hungry once that I've felt sick and wanted to throw up. I'm terrified that I'll stretch my stomach. Dare I try a bit more food? Do I just drink a bunch of water? Suck it up? Ive read where people eat a couple bites and they are satisfied. That was cool my third day out, but now... Have I already stretched my sleeve?

sampeck
on 7/28/17 11:13 am
VSG on 05/22/17

Did you weigh out what you ate? I think you wouldn't be eating more than a couple ounces at this point. Also, did you eat very slowly? You might feel a bit sick if you ate too fast. Wait 20 minutes and drink some water and then see how you feel. Walking around usually helps me feel better when I eat too fast or too much. I also took pureed very literally and didn't eat anything that wasn't extremely pureed and on my approved list of foods.

ViolentlyDelightful
on 7/28/17 12:24 pm
VSG on 07/14/17

It's possible I didn't eat slow enough. I'm not sure how long you're supposed to drag out a meal. Haven't been able to find an answer online yet. It was just very small amounts and I chewed to a paste consistency. I decided to wait a while. Probably 45 minutes or an hour and started to drink liquids. That seems to help but I have this very small lump at the back of my throat but the hunger has definitely subsided. It's quite possible I'm not ready for what I ate. I'll just eat what's approved. The satiety was more obvious when I ate two or three teaspoons of broth. I guess that's what I was expecting.

Cathy H.
on 7/28/17 12:42 pm, edited 7/28/17 5:44 am
VSG on 10/31/16

The "lump at the back of your throat" is a sign you've eaten too much. Because all the nerves have been cut and there is no sensation in the stomach of fullness, you can easily eat too much. When you do it backs up into your esophagus, that's what you probably felt.

It is imperative that you measure and/or weigh each and every bite. Also, since you are supposed to be doing pureed foods (which is essentially solids mixed with liquids), this would be the only time you should probably have been drinking while you ate, to mix the two together.

The best thing this early out would be to stick with your plan. If you're feeling hungry, with the cut nerves and all, it's undoubtedly head hunger, and you have to try hard not to give in to that. It could also be acid making you think you're hungry. Definitely should not be eating more than 1-2 oz at a time right now.

As for how long to take to eat, the standard is about 20-30 minutes as early out as you are. When you start on solid foods, it may take you more than that to get in what you need. Slow and steady is the key.

Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
5'3", SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Gwen M.
on 7/28/17 12:38 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

You have not stretched your sleeve. At 14 days post-op, your stomach is still healing so don't rely on it to tell you anything valid or useful. Measure everything before you eat to ensure you're not eating too much and don't trust your mouth to puree food well enough.

At this point hunger is more likely to be from acid or dehydration. There is also a chance that your system isn't ready for something you ate. This is one of the reasons it's best to try "new" foods when you're at home, in case your body rebels.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 7/29/17 6:54 am, edited 7/28/17 11:55 pm
VSG on 12/28/16

At two weeks out you probably aren't ready for chicken or beef. Did the dr. say that's ok? I couldn't until week 6. Think soft protein. Eggs, yogurt, cottage cheese. You won't feel the restriction yet so be careful. You should be eating very little. The small 2 oz container you get if you order dressing on the side? No more than 2 of those in quantity. Max. Focus on getting in your water and vitamins right now. Don't eat for longer than 20 minutes at a time. Then just stop. And you probably know not to drink at meals.

Valerie G.
on 7/29/17 5:44 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

It's going to take years to stretch your sleeve, so worry not. What's funny, is on the DS page, we consider a little stretching to be a good thing so we can eat our required 100g instead of depending on protein drinks so much.

Even stretched, you're looking at about /8-10 oz of capacity instead of the 2oz you have now. Compared to the football size stomach you started with, you're still on the winning end.

You're probably not satisfied because the nerves of your sleeve are still healing. Stick to the serving size recommendations given to you.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

(deactivated member)
on 7/30/17 12:03 pm

I am on puree stage, and pureeing everything in my mouth would not be sufficient or what they meant by puree stage, with my team anyway, I do not know what they told you. But I do not know what you are allowed.

I have chewed soft food but only managed 3 bites :)

(deactivated member)
on 7/30/17 12:04 pm

Wait that was cool your third day out, were you on solids three days out?

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 92 views