Vsg requirements?

courtney.allison03
on 10/16/17 8:00 pm

I'm new here so please excuse my ignorance lol I was wondering what the basic requirements are for the surgery? I've been overweight my entire life. I was in an extremely bad car accident 5 years ago which has taken most of my mobility. I'm wheelchair bound about 75% of the time. I can't walk or stand for more than 5 minutes due to chronic pain and swelling. I have asthma, RA, OA, neuropothy, ibs, and a slew of other Issues I bounce between 210 and 230 (236 being my highest weight) I've tried everything to loose the weight with no success. I'm 5'5 and 210, my bmi is 34.1. Where do I start? Would I even be eligible for the surgery? Who do I go to to start the process? My PCP? Thanks all!! :)

White Dove
on 10/17/17 8:44 am - Warren, OH

http://www.wlshelp.com/weight-loss-surgery-insurance.html Weight Loss Surgery - Requirements for Insurance Coverage

The National Institutes of Health (NIH), a division of the US Department of Health and Human Services, is considered one of the world's foremost medical research centers.

The NIH has set patient criteria for weight loss surgery which states that eligible patients should have a BMI of 40 or higher (morbidly obese) or a BMI of at least 35 with co-morbidities (obesity related health conditions) such as diabetes, sleep apnea, heart disease, high cholesterol, or hypertension (high blood pressure).

Eligible patients must also have attempted and failed at previous weight loss efforts and need to pass a psychiatric evaluation to be recommended for weight loss surgery.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Gwen M.
on 10/17/17 9:00 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Your best bet is to call the number on the back of your insurance card and ask what their requirements are. Then, aimed with that knowledge/information, go to your PCP. :)

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/17/17 10:36 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Speaking VERY generally, WLS is approved for patients with a BMI of 40+, or 35 - 40 with comorbidities such as high blood pressure, sleep apnea, or diabetes.

The final determination, however, depends on both your insurance company and your surgeon. You'll want to contact your insurance company to find their coverage guidelines; they can tell you about any BMI/health requirements, and other things you may need to do in order to be covered.

The best way to get started, after finding out about your coverage, is to attend a seminar presented by a surgeon in your area. Many doctors do these once or twice a month. They'll give some general information and have time for Q&A, and you can make an initial appointment if you'd like more information or to discuss your particular case.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Mirandia
on 10/17/17 12:05 pm
VSG on 03/14/17

I would suggest trying to follow the daily requirements of a person that has already had the surgery for awhile. Start your day with an 8 ounce protein shake and a good quality multivitamin. For lunch and dinner focus on eating protein before anything else. Cut out sugar, bread and pasta as much as possible. Completely eliminate carbonated drinks and any liquid calories (tea, koolaid, juice ... all of it) sugar free drinks are ok. Track everything that goes into your body for awhile (myfitnesspal is a wonderful app).

Doing this will MIGHT help you to avoid the surgery .. but if it doesn't, you will be better prepared for it when it does come. (I am not trying to tell you what to do ... but this is stuff we have to do every single day for the rest of our lives ... if you can't manage it now you are going to have problems later)

Finally ... yes, beginning the process starts with your PCP. You will need about 2 years of records of your weight and what you've already tried. Alternately you can locate a surgeon/clinic who can direct you to a obesity friendly doctor. Doctors are not immune to bias against the obese.

Good luck to you.

If you fall down you just have to get back up.

Valerie G.
on 10/18/17 12:36 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

With any of the weight loss surgeries, they require you to have a BMI of 40 or a BMI of 35 with diagnosed comorbidities.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 66 views