Forced to not use a scale and so far so good?

happyteacher
on 11/28/17 5:42 pm

Had a house fire and have not replaced the scale. I am very torn about this. Previously I would weigh myself several times a week. Given we only had the clothes on our backs we had to carefully prioritize purchases and the scale did not make the cut. Finally weighed myself yesterday when my daughter had an emergency surgery (she is ok, abscessed tonsil taken out). I was surprised that I clocked in exactly where I thought I would be. I had lost some over the last month due to stress. Now I am questioning getting one. Once I stopped worrying about weighing myself every day I just recently realized that I am more mindful of what I eat due to not being able to use the scale as the directive to reel things in. Not sure if that makes sense or not, but overall so far it has been positive. What I am pondering, however, is that my tendency is to avoid weighing when I go off the rails. I am not in that mode, but when I deal with a spurt I cannot decide if not having the scale will make it worse or do the opposite- keep it from going completely amuck, to begin with. Wondering if there are folks out there that do not weigh regularly and how that is going?

Jess Says Yes
on 11/28/17 9:45 pm
VSG on 10/24/17

I am so sorry about the fire, and I'm glad your daughter is ok! No wonder you've been stressed. I'm glad things are going ok without the scale and I hope things are looking up for you & your family.

Jess

To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist, that is all. - Oscar Wilde

Pre-op:-32 M1-26 M2-11 M3-13 M4-10 M5-13 M6-8 M7-12 M8-7 M9-7 M10-0 M11-11

joanne0658
on 11/28/17 10:42 pm

undies . . . . they're the key to assessing progress in the absence of a scale. hang tight, be strong . . . this fire will one day be an interesting tale to tell and the fact that you're safe and whole is the best!

jo

Age: 60 | Height: 5'3.5 | Surgery Date: 07/24/15 | Starting Weight: 292 | Surgery Weight: 267 | Goal Weight:150 | Current Weight: 149 | WL so far: 143 lbs

happyteacher
on 11/29/17 3:42 am

Clothes normally would be a natural measure as well, but all of them were replaced. At least now that I know what I weighed yesterday I can gauge, but up until that point even clothes were not terribly helpful. The biggest indicator to me is waistline- that is the first place I gain or lose, and even a 5 pound swing is visually obvious. So strange actually, as when I first started losing weight I lost over 60 pounds and people were not able to tell.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 11/29/17 5:22 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I'm so sorry this happened to your family! How stressful and depressing. Good news that your weight wasn't affected.

On the scale front, I too would avoid the scale when I was not eating properly in the past. I even cancelled doctor appointments a couple of times because of weight gain! There were times when I used clothing to measure gain, but I think that I can often stay in the same size until I've gained more than 10 pounds. That would not be acceptable to me now. When I decided to do WLS, I decided that I was going to do a lifestyle change to be successful in the long-term. One of those changes includes daily weighing for the most part. I actually feel like I get a reset every morning after I weigh, and find it so much easier to understand fluctuations and bring small gains back down. IMHO (for me).

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

happyteacher
on 11/29/17 2:49 pm

That is exactly how I was before losing the scale. This is also why I was surprised that once I adjusted to not using a scale there was some unforseen benefits. That tendency you mentioned of avoiding the scales/docs is exactly my pattern as well- and that is the part I wonder about. The structured accountability thing- hmmm.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 69 views