One week out....raw lips still

Melody P.
on 3/22/18 3:20 pm - Amarillo, TX

i think I'm having an issue with protein supplements. My lips have been raw and very sore since Thursday last week. I've tried everything I can think of. I'm in need of relief!

(deactivated member)
on 3/22/18 3:31 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

Raw? Like, horribly chapped? Mine were like that after surgery for a bit. I used neosporin ointment on them until they got better. My go-to lip protectant is Burt's Bees, it's the bee's knees (ehehehe Okay that's enough.)

Shannon S.
on 3/23/18 3:47 am
VSG on 11/07/17

Are you getting enough to drink? Chapped lips are a sign of dehydration. You can lube them up with a good chapstick. I wouldn't think your protein would cause that.

Grim_Traveller
on 3/23/18 4:42 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I'm not sure what the connection between protein supplements and chapped lips are. Have you been getting enough protein?

Drink more, and use chapstick.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/23/18 8:01 am
RNY on 08/05/19

How much water are you drinking? Chapped lips can be a sign of dehydration.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Melody P.
on 3/23/18 10:43 am - Amarillo, TX

I've been getting at least 60 ozs a day of fluid. I struggle a bit with protein but get at least 60 of that Bare min.

i thought maybe it was the protein because directly after drinking it my lips go south.

so far today they are better. I got an unflavored protein powder to add to my Greek yogurt(plain non-fat) and have added some to broth.

theAntiChick
on 3/23/18 12:58 pm - Arlington, TX
VSG on 08/17/16

You might want to try a lip treatment that has a bit more of a petroleum base... I think Aquaphor has one, or good ol' vaseline. I do not recommend anything with camphor as it feels good initially but the camphor actually dries out the lips (Carmex, I'm looking at you). You might be having some sort of odd reaction, or it could just be a bunch of little things piling up to leave you with horribly chapped lips. If thicker/more emollient type products don't help, I'd mention it to the doc and see if there's something more odd going on that s/he can give advice about.

* 8/16/2017 - ONEDERLAND!! *

HW 306 - SW 297 - GW 175 - Surg VSG with Melanie Hafford on 8/17/2016

My blog at http://www.theantichick.com or follow on Facebook TheAntiChick

Blog Posts - The Easy Way Out // Cheating on Post-Op Diet

Valerie G.
on 3/23/18 3:51 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

My favorite lip remedy is dipping my finger to get a dab of coconut oil, then dip it into sugar and rub on my lips. The sugar exfoliates to make room for the coconut oil to sink in. Results are fast. Before bedtime then, I do a medicated lip balm and all is perfect by morning.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

White Dove
on 3/23/18 8:24 pm - Warren, OH

As Valerie mentioned, exfoliation is the key here. I use a soft toothbrush to get rid of the dry skin on chapped lips. Then I just let them heal on their own without any kind of moisturizer.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views