VSG

Christopher4792
on 4/4/18 12:43 pm
VSG on 09/19/18

Hello Everyone,

My name is Christopher, I'm pretty new to this whole obesity forum thing. I signed up because I felt like I needed some support and guidance throughout this process for my VSG that i'll be getting in September. I have all my doctors appointments scheduled as per doctors orders. I have already seen my Gastroenterologist this past Monday and I have my endoscopy scheduled for next Friday April 13th at 2:30 in the afternoon. So far so good, no real nerves or anxiety yet. What should I expect over the course of the next couple of months as far as doctors appointments and procedures are concerned?

Thank you everyone in advance for being supportive.

CC C.
on 4/4/18 2:49 pm

Welcome, Christopher! There isn't a standard way the time is spent between starting the process and getting to surgery. Much is dependent on what your insurance requires and some based on surgeon's requirements. But at a general level, follow the directions for what they tell you to do and the time will pass so quickly! Use the time to learn everything you can about post-operative eating. Practice eating slowly. Practice not drinking while eating and 30 minutes afterwards. Learn about higher protein foods. Cut out habits like carbonated liquids. Easing into new habits can be easier than quitting cold turkey. Also try to avoid the "food funeral" mentality - wanting to eat every unhealthy thing you love in big quantities because you might never eat it again. It's not worth it and some of those things you'll be able to enjoy in smaller quanities later or in altered ways that make them healthier. Also, consider therapy if you haven't already. It can really help to develop coping mechanisms that don't involve food and helpful as you undergo such a radical life change.

Anyway, ask lots of questions and read the menu threads in the VSG and RNY threads to get an idea of how people eat. Good for you for joining in! Support is so important.

Christopher4792
on 4/4/18 3:28 pm
VSG on 09/19/18

Thank you so much for this information, it is VERY helpful! I will take all this into consideration and start making my adjustments. Thank you for your warm welcome and kind words. I will keep you posted as often as I can! And that part about carbonated liquids is going to be tough because although I don't drink soda, I drink lots of seltzer water, but I understand loud and clear. Thanks again!

Shannon S.
on 4/4/18 5:07 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Welcome to OH! You'll probably be busy with appts the next couple of months. After I finished up with all my appts I had one last presurgical appt with the surgeon to just verify everything was checked off my list. I started a liquid diet three weeks prior to that, which was pretty tough. I thought I'd have a melt down!

My program didn't allow caffeine, so on top of no food I had no coffee, and I'm a regular coffee drinker. If you are, I suggest you wean down. Start getting familiar with the vitamins you'll need, because you'll need them before and after surgery. Every program is a little different on what vitamins are required.

My surgery went well. I had some nasty incision pain in my largest incision, which my surgeon informed me there are some extra stitches placed in the larger incisions to prevent hernia.

You may want to start sampling protein drinks. I would buy small packs 1st, you'll likely develop a dislike for them, and may need to switch up. Protein, water, and vitamins will be your best friends. Get in your head you'll need to stay on top of these things. Wishing you the best. Keep us posted!!!

Gwen M.
on 4/4/18 5:58 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Welcome! I recommend reading all the posts here that you can between now and surgery. I did that and learned so much!

As for specific appointments, every insurance is a little bit different with their requirements.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Kristi T.
on 4/5/18 10:54 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

Welcome Christopher!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views