54.5 hours and counting...

DescendTheStair
on 6/23/18 1:09 am - Portland, OR
VSG on 06/25/18

Good morning. It's 3am here, and I still have yet to sleep. I'm a bit of an insomniac in general, but now, I think it's the nervousness mingled with excitement and worry keeping me up I'm due to be up for work in about five hours Thankfully I work from home tomorrow so it shouldn't be *too* bad

So! To the point! My VSG is scheduled for Monday morning with Dr. A Hargroder. I've never had any kind of surgery before (still have my tonsils and all!) and surprisingly, the part I'm most nervous about isn't the actual surgery or the changes after, or even the dreaded first couple weeks of liquids and soft foods (I rarely had much time to eat breakfast or lunch, so protein shakes and I are old friends), it's the anesthesia. I'm terribly worried about being put to sleep! A friend of mine had her gallbladder taken out and said I'd fall asleep, then wake up in recover and that's it. I'm not sure why it's worrying me....maybe the simple thought of losing such a chunk of time. I'm sure it sounds silly in comparison to the whole procedure.

I'm excited for the procedure. I've thoroughly researched my surgeon and trust him, I used to work at the facility I'm having it done in and trust them, I bought everything I needed to survive the first couple of weeks post-op over a month ago but I'm still just afraid of going under, hah.

So, I guess I'm asking to hear your experiences...the good and the bad. How did you feel when you woke up? What can I expect?

In addition, any tips on getting through the immediate post-op phase? Anything that made getting that fluid intake goal a little easier?

Sorry if the post is a bit disjointed, and thank you all in advance for your support and wisdom.

36 year old single mom of an awesome geeky teenager

5'3.75" (yes, that extra three-quarter inch is necessary. I'm ALMOST 5'4"!).

June 25th, 2018 VSG with Dr A. Hargroder| HW:291 SW:284 CW:272 GW: 135

January 10th, 2022 Revision to RNY with Dr. M. Reavis| HW: 291 LW: 195 CW: 245 GW: 135

Amateur dragon slayer, fairy hunter, occasional builder of fantastical worlds through words.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 6/23/18 3:58 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Good morning. Congratulations on your upcoming surgery! I can understand that you are nervous with this being your first surgery. I've had a number over my lifetime but the first was an emergency so there wasn't much time to be nervous!

This surgery is among the safer ones, and since it is laparoscopic the recovery isn't too bad. Thus is what usually happens for me: They put an IV in after I change and am in the pre-op area. Just before going to the operating room they give me something by IV to relax me. I think just before that is when I am the most nervous. When you get to the operating room, they are busy, busy getting ready and I always find that to actually make me feel like the whole thing is routine. They have me move to th operating table, put something more in to make me relax more and I never even remember if I am awake when they put the mask on. The next thing I know, I'm waking up in recovery. This is where my experiences have differed. A couple of times in the past I was nauseous, but they know how to relieve that. I generally don't have pain when I wake up because they have usually started the pan medication by then. Sometimes I don't want to open my eyes because I want to keep sleeping. Anyway, once I am awake enough, they move me to a regular room. After WLS, I had a pain pump (so I could press a button for medication) and I had a catheter for the first day. The catheter is slightly uncomfortable when they remove it but no big deal. I didn't have much pain after WLS, just discomfort.

As to drinking, I just learned to keep a cup next to me all the time (still) and to sip constantly. After a while I bought 32 ounce insulated cups so I can keep track of how much I drink easily. Other than that, walk a lot as it will help you get stronger and get rid of the gas pains.

Again, best of luck!

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Gwen M.
on 6/23/18 8:00 am
VSG on 03/13/14

Hello and congrats on being in the pre-op homestretch!

I always say that surgery is easiest for the patient :) I just get to go and sleep! Everyone else has to stay awake and worry. Heh.

When I wake up from surgery, I feel groggy. Nausea isn't uncommon - if you're worried about it, ask for a scopolamine patch ahead of time when you're meeting everyone who will be in the operating room.

Before surgery is always a hectic time. It'll feel like your room has a revolving door as you meet the surgeon, anesthesiologist, various nurses, get the IV, sign paperwork, etc.

My main advice for post-op is to just stay ahead of nausea and pain. Those things are harder to catch up with once they start. Pain doesn't make you strong or noble. It can actually cause your body to tense up and hinder healing. So don't try to be a hero about it.

Beyond that, walk and sip as much as you can. Some people have better luck with different liquids - ice water can be challenging early out, whereas warm tea or hot broth might be easier. Ice chips in the hospital are amazing too. I want a hospital ice machine for my house :P

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

PCBR
on 6/23/18 10:01 am

Congratulations!

I had my surgery 2 weeks and 3 days ago. Here is how it went for me..results vary! Note that I had a tougher time recovering than others I know--it's a range of experience, so remember early and often to not compare.

When you get to the hospital, you will change into a gown, a nurse will take your vitals, ask you a bunch of questions, place your IV, etc. Then it's likely you'll go into a pre-op room. Your surgeon will come talk to you about what's going on, what they are prescribing, give you a chance to ask questions, etc. Then an anesthesiologist will come in, ask you a bunch of questions---many redundant ones (don't get annoyed...the personnel as repetitive questions as a failsafe to make sure you're who you are, your info is right, and you're getting the right surgery, etc). If you're prone to nausea, tell the anesthesiologist! They will give you medicine to help with that. At this point, you might be really nervous. Good news: The anesthesiologist is gonna give you a ****tail in your IV that's gonna make you feel pretty damn chill. They will wheel you in to the operating room...there will be lots of people and machines getting ready -- all for you!. They might be listening to music...mine were listening to "Gin and Juice" by Snoop Dogg. They asked me to scoot on the table and put my arm out on a part of the table that extends for your arm. I thought to make a joke about the music, but before I could, I was asleep. In your case, they might ask you to count down from 10...You might get to 2.

Then, you will wake up as if no time has passed. In my case, it was the anesthesiologist. She asked how I was. I said that my stomach and chest really hurt. She said, "You had abdominal surgery". I was annoyed and wanted to say, "Yeah, no ****". Instead I just said, "I know". They wheeled groggy-ass me to my room (Everything and everyone was blurry). For me, I had a lot of gas pain and a ton of pain at incision site. Morphine made a dent...but when I got up to go pee, etc, it made me feel dizzy and nauseated. The first day I could't really walk or move without pain. And I had them switch to Tylenol in my drip, because the the nausea of the morphine wasn't worth it to me.

Weird hospital things: They will put these fun booties on your legs that pump in air to make sure you get no clots...it's like a nice massage. They will probably give you a breathing exerciser to make sure you don't get pneumonia (with all the gas pressure and pain, you'll want to take shallow breaths..this makes sure you don't). All you liquid is through IV most of the time. The first drink I had was the second day--barium--they did an X-ray to make sure there were no staple leaks. I was terrified and in pain..I had never used my new stomach so that scared me, Once they established no leaks, I was sent clear liquids which I drank in tiny amount. But since I got them down with no problem, I was cleared to go home.

Going home, my pain was still significant. Car ride bumps were terrible. Coughing was terrible. The first week was rough. I had so much trouble moving or being comfy. I know people who were doing full on walks at this stage and it hurt me to move. I got a terrible, itchy, spreading body rash (which thank god, went away..think it was an allergic reaction) I was discouraged. At my two week appointment, I was still in pain from that incision site on the right. Doc said it was normal. The muscle was cut. It takes time. Having lost 10lbs in 2wks helped take the sting out of it a bit (you might lose more ..or less) Going into 3 weeks, sneezes still hurt, getting out of bed still gives me soreness, and if I overdo walks or even light housework, I get a bit of pain. But it is manageable, and since it improves daily, I know it's going to be okay.

And YOU friend, are going to be okay. Whether you are a fast healer, a slower healer, or in between, all this rocky, weird, early stuff is going to be a blip in your review mirror (and mine).

Feel free to message me if you have any questions for one who is in the midst of stage one.

DescendTheStair
on 6/23/18 4:55 pm - Portland, OR
VSG on 06/25/18

Thank you so much for this. It actually made me tear up a bit at the end, but I think I'm super emotional just because of the stress and anxiety going in. That was a wonderful reply, and I do realize every experience is going to be unique, but I like to "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst." I've never had a surgery so I'm not sure how I heal, but I did have bilateral pulmonary embolisms five years ago (due to birth control) and it took me ten months to recover when the hematologist said I'd be feeling better in days. Definitely wasn't days. As you said, this will all be in our rear view mirror soon enough. :)

January 10th, 2022 Revision to RNY with Dr. M. Reavis| HW: 291 LW: 195 CW: 245 GW: 135

Amateur dragon slayer, fairy hunter, occasional builder of fantastical worlds through words.

MissCheri18
on 6/23/18 4:38 pm - Daytona Beach, FL
VSG on 06/25/18

Thanks for asking questions, my VSG is a go for Monday also... so I've been reading some of the answers you have gotten it helps. Good Luck on Monday!

5' 2". 60-year-old (at time of surgery)

HW 239.9, SW 223

GW (Surgeon) 150, GW (Mine) 135

Cheri

DescendTheStair
on 6/23/18 4:52 pm - Portland, OR
VSG on 06/25/18

Good luck to you as well! We're going to get through this! :)

Melody P.
on 6/24/18 3:26 pm - Amarillo, TX

I woke up burning up, sweating and just kind of panicked. It didn't last long though. I also got a bit of a black eye, which could of been me when I was hot or tape as my skin loves to hang onto tape. That was the worst part for me so not all that bad. The staff was good.

i don't regret it what so ever.

i hope your surgery goes fantastically. Walk as soon and as often as you can!

DescendTheStair
on 6/26/18 4:02 am - Portland, OR
VSG on 06/25/18

Just got back to my room after five laps around the unit! I definitely feel better when I'm walking It's so sore to get into a standing position from sitting that I almost wish I could stay standing up all the time.

MariaLee
on 6/26/18 3:35 am
VSG on 06/21/18

Good

morning!

I am so excited for you! I had my surgery on Thursday 6/21 and for my surgery seemed as though everyone around me was busy and I was given something by IV to relax and then the oxygen and that's where my memory ends. I was really afraid of waking up with the intubation tube in and the surgeon said most people don't recall that part and luckily I didn't. I was in a lot of pain coming out of surgery and in recovery the nausea was unbearable. it did get better pretty quick cause they put me on anti nausea medication and the pain was managed as well. It is going to be worth it all am am so happy you will get to bein your journey soon.

Highest weight: 271 surgery weight: 257 I am 36 years old 5"2.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views