Thin Forearm Skin - any correlation?

soontobe_blondegodd
ess

on 8/20/18 8:39 am
VSG on 08/16/12

Super strange question but there is 1 other person that has had the surgery and has the same issue as me. Not sure if it is surgery related or not. I had the gastric sleeve 6 years ago and on thryiod medicine and so is my friend - we both have thinning skin on our forearms. If we bump into something, either the skin breaks open and bleeds or a red spot will appear and then may break open later. It could be as simple as my dog jumping up on my arms :(

I am 44 years old - so it could be age related too - but I am healthy other than a small spare tire still. Is anyone else experiencing thin skin after surgery? I know I run a lot colder now but just curious if any of you experience what we have? If yes, please share. It comes and goes...

Knitter215
on 8/20/18 9:16 am
VSG on 08/23/16

More likely related to your thyroid than VSG. My mom and my mother in law (who worked hard to stay at 100 pounds each) both had thyroid issues and were on synthroid for YEARS. They both developed very thin skin on their arms and shins as they aged and it seemed like if you looked at them funny they developed bruises.

I had thyroid issues but they have since regulated, but the thinning skin also seems to come along with menopause. I bruise fairly easily now and it seems like they are more visible. But I also fence (as in en garde) 5-6 hours a week. So people are stabbing me intentionally with force.

I have read that potassium helps with stopping bruising, but check with your medical team first.

Keep on losing!

Diana

HW 271.5 (April 2016) SW 246.9 (8/23/16) CW 158 (5/2/18)

soontobe_blondegodd
ess

on 8/20/18 10:08 am
VSG on 08/16/12

Thank you for all this knowledge - I will look into potassium! Have fun fencing! that is awesome

hollykim
on 8/20/18 12:25 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On August 20, 2018 at 3:39 PM Pacific Time, soontobe_blondegoddess wrote:

Super strange question but there is 1 other person that has had the surgery and has the same issue as me. Not sure if it is surgery related or not. I had the gastric sleeve 6 years ago and on thryiod medicine and so is my friend - we both have thinning skin on our forearms. If we bump into something, either the skin breaks open and bleeds or a red spot will appear and then may break open later. It could be as simple as my dog jumping up on my arms :(

I am 44 years old - so it could be age related too - but I am healthy other than a small spare tire still. Is anyone else experiencing thin skin after surgery? I know I run a lot colder now but just curious if any of you experience what we have? If yes, please share. It comes and goes...

this is a very common aging issue. Even ppl of a certain age, who have not had WLS have problems with it.

H.A.L.A B.
on 8/20/18 1:03 pm

It can be genetic, (one of my friends has that for years, and her mother used to be like that also) or vitamin - mineral deficiencies.

Vit C, bioflavanoids, low iron, copper, zinc, Vit K, K2, very low cholesterol, collagen, and so many more items - , - those can be responsible for weak blood vessels.

Hopefully a doc can help you with finding out what may cause that.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

White Dove
on 8/22/18 4:09 am - Warren, OH

My father had it, I have it and my sister does.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

soontobe_blondegodd
ess

on 8/22/18 6:08 am
VSG on 08/16/12

Did you all have the surgery too? And on thryiod Med? Or is it just aging? I am struggling right now and embarrassed about my arms! Is there anything we can do for it?

White Dove
on 8/22/18 2:00 pm - Warren, OH

I was the only one who had the surgery and take thyroid medicine. The doctor says is from aging and inherited.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 63 views