Lying about VSG - What surgery can I say I had? :D

MissSunshineCo
on 9/28/18 9:49 am
VSG on 10/15/18

Hello!

New to the community.

Surgery date is 10/15/2018 and I'm nervous but very excited.

I don't want to tell everyone that I'm having this surgery, maybe because I'm embarrassed.

Anyone lie about their surgery? Perhaps said they underwent another surgery and was successful at the lie?

Please share!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/28/18 12:26 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

A lie is fine in the short-term, but when people see you losing large amounts of weight very quickly, they're going to be suspicious that you didn't actually have a knee replacement.

There's no need to share specifics. Just tell your coworkers, "I'll be out for a procedure, it's nothing big, I'll be back in a couple of weeks."

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

hollykim
on 9/28/18 1:33 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 28, 2018 at 4:49 PM Pacific Time, MissSunshineCo wrote:

Hello!

New to the community.

Surgery date is 10/15/2018 and I'm nervous but very excited.

I don't want to tell everyone that I'm having this surgery, maybe because I'm embarrassed.

Anyone lie about their surgery? Perhaps said they underwent another surgery and was successful at the lie?

Please share!

do you feel compelled to share ALL your medical history with everyone you know?

Agreed to not lie. What if you say you ar3 having your gallbladder ou5 and it's not true and you need your gallbladder out a year later? Another lie? Oh this time a cyst on my ovary. Well next year you actually GET a cyst on your ovary. Why even go there,none of their business,period.

(deactivated member)
on 9/28/18 2:26 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

It's never usually just one lie. Lies always multiply!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 9/28/18 1:44 pm - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

I just said I needed surgery and did not say what it was for. I think many people assumed it was some kind of "female" surgery since I didn't volunteer what it was. Ultimately after I got to goal I decided to tell people how I had lost the weight because I felt it was a good thing to let people who might be contemplating WLS know.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

(deactivated member)
VSG on 01/12/17

I always advise against lying. You don't owe anyone around you an explanation about your medical history. Simply say "I would prefer not to discuss my health and upcoming surgery." If they keep pestering you, stay firm. It's no ones business but yours and those you do choose to tell.

Grim_Traveller
RNY on 08/21/12

Don't lie. Weight loss surgery is very common these days. Everyone will figure it out on their own, and your integrity will suffer.

Tell them you are taking time off, and you will not talk about it further. Its private.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

MissCheri18
on 9/28/18 4:25 pm - Daytona Beach, FL
VSG on 06/25/18

I did not tell most people... I did say I was going to wellness meetings which I was and then when I started to lose wt. more rapidly I just said for this (fill in the blank) health reason, in my case my liver issue, I am on a very strict low carb, high protein doctor supervised diet where I break my meals down to 5-6 a day (that explains both the limits on what I eat and how much or in my case how little I eat at a time) and no one has questioned it. I highly advise against lying about it, that opens a bad door.

5' 2". 60-year-old (at time of surgery)

HW 239.9, SW 223

GW (Surgeon) 150, GW (Mine) 135

Cheri

Chanelcamp26
on 9/28/18 9:39 am
VSG on 07/24/18

The only person that knew before my surgery was my husband. I didn't want anyone's opinions or negativity dampen my excitement of finally changing my life. Most of his family knows now because I have lost so much weight in the last two months and there was no reason to hide the fact I had WLS.

That being said, I still haven't shared my surgery with my family who lives on the East Coast. Not even my mother or best friend. I'm not embarrassed. I just don't want to hear their concerns when I'm still navigating the early part of my journey.

Share what you want with who you want at the time you choose. I agree with everyone else that it really isn't anyone's business, however, sometimes people are just curious.

snuzyQ
on 9/28/18 5:27 pm

It's great that you're having your surgery so soon. Mine won't be until this coming January. I've decided to tell folks that I'm going in for a hernia repair, which is true because I have a hernia that'll be repaired at the same time as the WLS. If I didn't have the hernia, I would just tell folks who ask that the surgery is a bit personal and leave it at that.

I told my nearest and dearest about my decision to go ahead with WLS and it didn't go over so well. I don't suppose it would go over any better with people who are just casual acquaintances.

The wall I came up against was this: "Anybody can lose weight...just go Paleo and you'll do just fine...you don't need this surgery...WLS is just for the super morbidly obese and you don't fit in with those people...you just haven't tried hard enough...what if you lose a lot of weight on the pre-surgery diet? Would you change your mind? This is just so permanent! You're 66 years old! Are you sure that you really want this?" and on and on. It was tiresome. Heavy folks really do go through it.

So, what I really need to do is to focus all my energies on preparing and not worry about what others may think. I've thought this through very carefully. I need this surgery, even at age 66 and with all the comorbidities that so often go along with being severely obese. I need this tool to help me achieve a normal healthy weight and to maintain it for the rest of my life through diet and exercise. I want to live long enough to see my grandsons grow up, get married and have families of their own and I want a better quality of life in the meanwhile.

I'm going to do this, if the good Lord permits...in January...

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views