Can we or can't we?

Ruthel E.
on 5/13/04 6:28 am - Southgate, MI
Can WLS patients have wine ever again? Wine is my life, I am an avid taster and was almost a buyer...after lap-band can I have it again?
ladydi01
on 5/14/04 5:03 am - Spring, TX
Have you had any luck finding out the answer to your question? I too am an avid taster. My Husband is the wine expert. Please let me know when and if you do. Diana
Jodie B.
on 8/10/04 9:23 am - Sacramento, CA
Well, the correct answer is ask your doctor. With that said, YES!! I have gone tasting twice and have enjoyed a glass or two before meals. The thing I have noticed is that it affects you differently now. I "feel" it... Also we have to keep in mind the calories and sugar in wine. Hope that helps. Cheers! Jodie Bohrer Lap RNY 4/6/04 305/235
boopdiva
on 8/14/04 6:15 pm - Roanoke, VA
That helps greatly. It would be a shame to have to give up on the things you love, just when you are going to be in a better position to enjoy more. I have read that docs would like you to wait a year though, because that gives your new tummy time to heal. Anyway, even if I could no longer consume wine I would still taste. I would just spit it out like the big tasters do. Wine Spectator will send you their wine of the week if anyone is interested. Kerry
Ginigrrl
on 8/24/04 4:45 pm - Charleston, SC
I know this is an old post (posted on my surgery day!), but I have drank wine since the surgery and been fine. I dont do it every day, or anywhere near there, but I do indulge in the occasional glass of wine. Sometimes more than that even!! I understand, my father is also a wine expert, and French to boot, so I grew up on wine, and couldnt imagine a life without it!
Susan L.
on 9/1/04 12:03 am - Independence, MO
This is very good news for me, since my husband & I make our own mead, which is a honey-based alcohol, & it would be difficult to make it without being able to taste it or enjoy drinking from time to time. I haven't yet had my surgery, but hope to sometime in the next few months.
boopdiva
on 9/4/04 11:00 pm - Roanoke, VA
You all make mead... are you involved in SCA too? I just had surgery, and plan on waiting about a year before I start adding wine back into my diet. I want to be sure I am completely healed and my pouch is able to handle other stuff first. Don't forget everyone.. everyone is different so go slow no matter what you try.
(deactivated member)
on 9/6/04 11:19 am - Can't tell You!!!
Great info. I am still considering surgery and am going through that stage of figuring out all that I have to give up. Good to say I have not come accross anything that would stop me from having WLS. Thanks for the info. FR
Cindy U.
on 9/20/04 7:44 am - Hendersonville, TN
Hi all, I'm glad I saw this thread. It's been a while since I've returned to the WLS forums. I had my rny back in 1999. I'm also married to a professional chef. I can absolutely drink wine or have excellent food, and yes, sometimes some dessert as well, IF I even want any. Like someone else mentioned earlier, wine or any alcohol does affect me differently now, though. It "hits me" much harder and much faster. It's safe to say that 2 glasses is my limit -- 3 and I'd be plastered. Remember, go slow, sip slow, and chew LOTS. Cindy
Gail K.
on 10/3/04 12:08 pm - Flint, MI
My surgery was only a week ago, so I haven't tried wine yet, and I don't plan to for at least 7 months. But March is when the annual charity wine dinner is. I have been going for the past 6 years, and it is one of the events I always look forward to. I guess I will only be able to take one sip of each wine and one or two mouthfuls of each food, but it will worth it just not to miss out on this special event with my friends. My family is already planning a big doggie bag that they will have to finish for me!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Red or white?
kareninflorida · 0 replies · 280 views
Screw top
AndreaA · 3 replies · 424 views
Can we or can't we?
Ruthel E. · 14 replies · 801 views