Anyone experience low thyroids levels post-WLS?

nms033
on 7/11/07 10:56 am - destin, FL
Hello,   My labs previously have been swell but in the last three months I have been feeling extremely lethargic and down and have had a LOT of hair loss and extreme cold sensitivity and I haven't had a period for 3 months. Well my primary did a basic metabolic panel on Monday and his nurse called. I have elevated liver enzymes and a low thyroid count and he wants to discuss it right away. I am a little nervous but I was wondering if anyone else experienced these abnormalities after WLS? Thanks in Advance! Nicole
go2beach
on 7/11/07 1:09 pm - Woolwich township, NJ
Hi, Yes. I had surgery on 3/6/06 and I lost for the first 9 months and then stopped.  I had some medical problems in January of '07 and my blood work showed an elevated TSH.  My PCP increased my thyroid meds by 25 mcg.  Then, in May I got tested again because I had some more joint pain (a sign for me that my thyroid is off).  Again, my thyroid numbers were bad.  He switched me to pure synthroid, rather than generic and I need to get my blood work re-done on Monday. So, it is possible that my thyroid hasn't been correct for months and months. Like you, my labs have always been really good, but, my 15 month labs showed a low iron count and, like I mentioned, the elevated TSH. My PCP is kinda perplexed that I would need MORE thyroid medicine as I lost weight ( I think the dosage is based on your weight)  He commented that my dose is typical for someone weighing 300 pounds ( I weigh 138), but, he said, "If you need this dose, you need this dose, period" Just wanted to let you know that you're not alone, and yes, your thyroid can act up after WLS. Good Luck! Karen
cherub13
on 7/11/07 10:29 pm - Irving, TX

Hi,  I have yet to have my RNY (Aug 6) and so I cannot answer your question.  But thank you for posting yours because I have a hypo active thyroid and am on .175 mcg of synthroid.  I didn't know that WLS could affect my TSH levels.  I also experience a lot of fybromyalgia with my hypothyroidism.  Did anyone experience a change in that, after surgery?  Thank you for your post.

diananoreika
on 7/12/07 3:41 am - Parkville, MD
I have been on synthroid for about 16 years ...taking 300 mcg daily until 6 months after my RNY it had to be uped to 350 mcg , stayed that way until 6 months ago and doc said something about too much med making my thyroid stop working all together (not really sure I understood but I trust her)  so she dropped me down to 300 mcg  and then 2 weeks ago had to drop me again to 250 mcg. I wont get reteted for a month but I sure am perplexed as to why now the change.  Let me know if this makes sense. Diana RNY 9/17/03 360/200/still aiming at 180
Suzanne S.
on 7/12/07 8:34 am - Livermore, CA
My thyroid levels were off a bit so I changed how I was taking all my suppliments and that seemed to do the trick for me.  Don't take your thyroid meds with calcium.  Too much Soy can also affect your thyroid.  Since these are often 2 things that we start taking after WLS, it could be that this is your problem. Now I take my thyroid meds, iron, and calcium all spread out and with nothing else.  It takes me long to get in all my meds, but it does seem to make a difference. Good Luck, Suzanne
dana S.
on 7/12/07 10:07 pm - brooklyn, NY
Hi I also have underactive thyroid.I had my surgery in 2001. I got pregant in november 2002.after my daughter was born I  develpoed underactive thyroid fatigue,cold,unable to lose weight. I am on synthroid 100 mg and cytomel .05. My thyroid medicines have been changed quite often.Still having a hard time losing I need to lose 90 lbs. Good luck to you .   Dana
Melodie W.
on 7/14/07 6:36 am - Binghamton, NY
I have struggled with my TSH levels since I was 14 and I had my gland removed. It is a very individual problem and will vary from person to person. You will always be able to tell when something is off, but I highly recommend taking your synthroid separately from any other vitamins or medications for the best results with controlling your levels. It is also a good idea to take it at the same time every day. For me, I take it before bedtime and have done so for the last 10 years and never had an off count except when I started to lose weight and we had to change the dose. As you get older, have children, lose weight, etc. you will have to make adjustments. The key is to stay consistent on your end for the best possible gauge. Hope I helped.
Most Active
Recent Topics