Itchy rash after iron infusion??

Traci K.
on 10/30/07 7:52 am - Sullivan, MO
Okay, so I had my first iron infusion (Dextron/InFed) last Friday.  They did a test dose, no problems.  All went well.  Sunday morning at church, I noticed my arm pits a bit itchy.  Odd.  Didn't think much of it.  Monday, it continues and I'm itching along where my bra is and when my tummy skin hangs.  Mmmmm ???  I'm busy - I'm scratching.  Still it's not connecting to really check into this.   This morning I get out of the shower and I have a red rash all along my lower back, under my arm pits, along my groin, under my breasts, under my hanging tummy skin and some on my stomach.  No blisters or anything - just a red rash that itches!!   I've not changed any laundry detergents, deodorants or anything like that.  I put a call in to my doctor this afternoon and am waiting for him to call back with his thoughts on whether this is or isn't related to the iron infusion.  Could it possibly be?  Anyone heard of a reaction starting a couple days after the infusion and spreading for days after?  Seems odd - but what do I know, I've never had an infusion before!  As soon as my hubby gets home to stay with the children, I'm heading to Walmart to get me some Benedryl.  At least I'll get some sleep tonight instead of itching!!  Not sure what else to do.  I'm breathing okay .  Doesn't seem to be a serious reaction (if that's what it is) I guess; but annoying.  I have some colloidal oatmeal - I can make me up some tub teas with that and soak with that I guess.  Off I go to find relief from this doggone itching!!!!! 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Traci  <*)))><  | Sullivan, MO
Join My WLS4Health OH Group
Lap RNY  7/27/04
My blog:  http://wls4health.com

Jessica M.
on 10/30/07 8:35 am - Roseville, CA
Thats interesting you say that. I've just significantly increased my Iron intake from 120 MG a day to 10 grams a day (thats about 700 mg I think). I've noticed that i'm itchy under my arms adn along my panty and bra line adn where my tummy skin hangs as well! I was starting to think I unknowningly changed laundry soap or dryer sheets..but I'm wondering now if its that i'm taking too much Iron. I changed my dosage about 3 weeks ago.... hmm.. I'll check w/ my doctor to. I bet that the Iron infusion is what  you're having a reaction to. if not, thats an odd coincidence..keep us posted. I hope the benadryl helps. Jess  
My journey is successful, only because I remember what road I was on when I started it..and my determination to never go back to that road will keep me going in the right direction.

269 / 140/ 135
Highest/Current/Goal 

Height - 5' 6"
vitalady
on 10/30/07 9:03 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Which kind of iron are you taking?

I have seen ppl get rashes from infusions, but shortly, not days later.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Jessica M.
on 10/30/07 9:23 am - Roseville, CA
It might not be the iron. I tend to break out in itchy rash when I'm under stress and i'm getting divorced, hate my job and am moving (but I'm really excited about moving and I can handle the job)..so it could ******ve thign. i'm taking Ferrous Gluconate.
My journey is successful, only because I remember what road I was on when I started it..and my determination to never go back to that road will keep me going in the right direction.

269 / 140/ 135
Highest/Current/Goal 

Height - 5' 6"
vitalady
on 10/30/07 9:58 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
That's not one of the best absorbed irons, as you see by your infusions.

Some ppl get rashes, but usually right there in the chair. My freind called meyesterday, though, had infusion on Friday and too exhausted to get out of bed all weekend. Some ppl get a power surge from them. Since the reactions are so varied, I'm just taking a deep breath as I just got my labs and the iron numbers are exactly where I want them. I don't think my insurance will pay for infusions, or more accurately, I'm afraid to find out, so I take my 12 Tenders + vit C, iron is 97, ferritin is 160.

If the rash continues to get worse or scabs or anything, you've got a local PCP-type you can get into on short notice, right? What if it's none of the above, but something entirely of its own, KWIM?

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

Traci K.
on 10/30/07 8:34 pm - Sullivan, MO
Update:  my doctor's office called back last evening and said that yes, this itchy rash is indeed from the iron infusion.  Great.  He told me to take Benedryl  3x per day for the next three days, and if it's not better after that, he'd call in prednisone.  The problem is Benedryl makes me sleepy, so I guess I'll itch until nighttime and take the Benedryl then.  The Benedryl does work though. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Traci  <*)))><  | Sullivan, MO
Join My WLS4Health OH Group
Lap RNY  7/27/04
My blog:  http://wls4health.com

DJ
on 11/1/07 10:03 pm - Parsippany, NJ
I hope you are feeling better...  itching is horrible.. I am suffering presently with horrible dry itchy skin and nothing is helping..  I feel your pain... feel better. 

Jenniferc87
on 10/3/23 1:17 am

I know this is long time ago but I'm having same issues it's every time after my infusion not day off but like 2-3 days later and it gets worse and worse til about 2 weeks in. And it takes time for iron to get in ur body cells etc so u can def have reaction days later I went urgent care bc I was itching so bad I thought I was going itch my skin off and the doctor said yep very common issue with infusions of iron is itchy itchy he gave me Benadryl and prednisone fun fun. I think I'm going b very cautious of iron and only take infusion if it's really urgent .

elifritz
on 11/2/07 8:44 am - Columbus, IN
I'm not sure why you have that reaction.  I had a total InFed Dextron INfusion. 2,225 mg  and my hemoglobin is now 14.3!! YaY!    I was a 6 before!   I had no reaction at all.
KMASON777
on 9/22/14 1:21 am

I had an Dextran iron infusion a little over a week ago. It was on a Friday, I begin getting a rash on Saturday night. By Monday morning it was getting worse especially on my fingertips. It was almost like little blisters. He called in a steroid. Most of the rash is gone now. But my left pinky finger is still spotted almost with blister it is very sensitive to touch but yet it also feels numb. I is almost like if it had been burned. I won't do anymore iron transfusions in the future.

Most Active
Recent Topics