For women: about birth control......

JESSICA C.
on 1/10/08 7:26 am

Hello, I am hoping you all can help me...  I am having difficulty finding a birth control I like and one that likes me... I have tried mirena and the patch and both did not agree with me.  I was on birth control pills for many years before my bypass and had good luck with them... not to mention my body liked them.   So my question is.  Have any of you used the pills successfully?  I was told along the line that they might not work on us because of our malabsorbtion, but my gyn says she thinks it will work just fine.  My surgeon hasn't called back (it has been 3 days. )  what has your experience been...  thank you   jessica P.S.  SOmeone has already suggested the nuvaring but I really would like to go back to the pill if i can. 

pre-op 265/current 160/goal 140

105 pounds gone forever!!!!
Tanny
on 1/10/08 9:40 am
Hi, Although I may still try for a baby in the future, I've been wondering about the pill as well. To add to that....weight gain  on the pill ? 
Candice M.
on 1/10/08 8:36 pm - Birmingham, AL
My gyn has prescribed Femcon.. it's a chewable birth control.  You just have to drink a glass of water immediately after taking the pill to help it absorb correctly.  I have been taking it for several months with no probs!  Might want to check on that one! 
cutie3pie5
on 1/10/08 9:56 pm - Lexington, SC
Hello there, I am +2 years post op and have had great great success on the pill Alesse (generic is Aviane).  It's a very low hormone dosage and I have not had any side effects or complications with this pill.  Recently, I was switched to Balziva and started experiencing increased hunger and weight gain, so I was switched back to Alesse and have been in great shape.  I have not gotten pregnant in 2+ years on Alesse, so it's working for me.  I hope this helps.  Good luck! ~Shannon
ladodgergirl
on 1/11/08 5:10 am - South El Monte, CA
I tried the pill but it made me gain weight & feel weird.. dizzy spells.. and I was a pill user before surgery so I wanted  to go back to that.. since all the side effects were crazy I switched to the nuva ring & LOVE it.. dont be so quick to toss it aside it really works & NO side effects  H
kittyasuka
on 1/11/08 7:06 am - LA, CA
I take seasonal you would know if your body wasnt handeling it because try it for a month with condoms if you get your perioud when your supoosed to than that means its working for you. gl

AndiCandy
on 1/11/08 8:09 pm - NY
Howdy! I'm on birth control pills and have been since a few months out of surgery, i'm doing just fine on them. Some might make you gain a pound or two but i work harder to get down that pound or two and keep on taking them. Andi
Dream it Live it
1pigflygif.gif
When Pigs Fly
Ambitious
on 1/12/08 12:19 am - Havertown, PA
Yaz or Yasmin are great brands. I've been on them for years with no side effects. I have PCOS and they help control the systems except for weight loss and mgmt.  However, Yasmin is great but YAZ is even better they have similar ingredients they are in the same family. The patch from what I've heard isn't effective and leaves you with not so great side effects. I would stick with an old fashioned pill method either Yaz or Yasmin. Good luck & let me know how you make out! Blessings, Samaria
classite
on 1/14/08 3:56 pm - Battle Ground, WA
I am 21 months post-op RNY and have been on Nortrel birth control pills for the last year without any problems or pregnancy. 
  Cheryl Lassiter
Lap RNY 4/14/06
LBL 4/8/08
Most Active
Recent Topics