Anemic - low iron

jkosmatka
on 3/17/09 3:52 am - Greenfield, WI
Hello Everyone! 

My lab results showed that I am anemic due to low iron.  My doctor wants me to change my multi vitamin to one with iron plus take an additional iron supplement each day.  I know that iron levels can take a long time to increase.  Just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this and if just taking the supplements work.  I read a post about some sort of infusion.  Is that normally a last resort to increase a person's iron level?

Thanks for the info!  Have a great day!

Jennifer
RNY 11/03 
.Anita R.
on 3/17/09 5:37 am - Stafford, VA
Infusions should be a last resort to get iron levels up....In my humble opinion because iron is so toxic...It's not a friendly vitamin at all....I went thru what you are last year...And I did a ton of research on this subject as I was so NOT into getting iron infusions...or blood transfusions as my doc was thinking because I had some other blood issues as well...If your HGB levels are very low then YES...Infusions immediately to get you the iron you need to make oxygen in your blood!  Anemia can be quite dangerous to your heart and brain!  You can be low iron and not be anemic...The lower your HGB the more dangerous it gets!  I don't think many people realize that...

I talked to all kinds of anemics who told me I'd never get my iron levels up with iron supplements alone...I was determined to try!  LOL  So thru my own research I decided to try a non-toxic kid friendly, non metallic iron that has 20 years of scientific studies that show it superior to other iron supps without toxicity and little side effects as with iron salts AND was 20% more absorbable and easier for RNYers to absorb without stomach acid and small intestine bypassed (those two things are needed for regular iron to be absorbed)  RNYers don't have either anymore... The iron is carbonyl Iron...I get mine as chewables from Vitalady called Tender Iron...I SWEAR BY IT! 

So I was a bit lost on how much to take...and Vitalady told me she takes 10...I thought it would be as harsh as Ferrous sulfate and I was afraid at first....So I started with 4 (100mg) and 2 (50mgs) of the iron I was using and it was not working at the dose I was taking (Amino acid chelated iron chewables)  Gradually over a few weeks I began taking 10 a day of the carbonyl and 2 of the chelated amino acid iron....and I felt my hands and feet begin to feel warm again...All the symptoms of anemia were clearly getting better....I had no idea hwo bad I was actually feeling til I got better!  By the 2nd month I was taking 13 carbonyl iron tablets for a total of 325 mg with Vit C as ascorbic acid and 2 mg of copper caps....and a chewable ester-c as well....all to aid in absorption and support my immune system...Ester C was also in popular prescription Iron and I wanted to try EVERYTHING to get better! ALL I know is that I DID it!  I didn't get constipation, or stomach pains or toxicity... My blood healed...My iron and ferritin levels climbed and I felt WONDERFUL again...No infusions! 

I am fgood with iron and still take 8 Tender Iron from Vitalady daily with Vit C and copper ...All is well a year later!

Good luck...hope that helps.
jkosmatka
on 3/17/09 5:43 am - Greenfield, WI
Thanks so much for all of the great information, I really appreciate it.  I will certainly check out vitalady's website for the Tender Iron. 

-Jennifer
elm62
on 3/17/09 6:57 am - Clarkston, MI
I had a post op bleed and left the hospital anemic.  It took a while for me to get it up, but slowly but surely I it did.

I take baratric advantage iron (grape flavored, YUMMY) w/ a chewable C (the citric acid helps the iron absorption), with a small sip of water, then nothing for up to 1 hour to give it time to absorb.  I was doing this twice a day and once I could eat normal food I started eating meat EVERY day.  What I found easiest was chili and stew, once again, nothing else for at least 1 hour, for absorption. 

I no longer need to take 2 iron pills a day, but I make sure I either take my iron or eat meat every day.

Good luck you can do this,

Edie

You don't have to have a lump to have breast cancer!
Inflammatory Breast Cancer

www.ibcresearch.org

mom4kids2
on 4/18/09 7:35 am
Hi. I had Gastric Bypass Surgery in 2004- Open. I have been diagnosed with Iron Deficiency Anemia. My Hemoglobin is terrible and I do not have enough Red Blood Cells- the ones I have are too small. Lots of tests were done. Anyway- I have been taking 325mg of iron 3 times a day- it gives me such stomach aches and cramps. Will this ever end? Does anyone have any suggestions for a better iron supplement? I bought the least expensive iron tablet I could find. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Anna
Most Active
Recent Topics