Questions for the Weight loss graduates 3+ years out (everyone wants to know)

xoxoxo1990
on 5/29/11 1:44 pm
Please, if you were successful let us know your dieting and excersize tips.
We would all like to know and id like to think you guys would like to help us to get the most out of our WLS as we can, thanks ahead of time
Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.
--Dr. Seuss

HollyBelle
on 5/29/11 5:53 pm

Never stray from youroriginal diet. Obviously you cannot stay on liquids, but don't test yourself thining you can have just one bite of something. Stay away fror triggers.  If bread is you weakness do not ever purchase it and if youyou have family inthe house ask they gently to remove your trigger foods out out the house. 

Here's a lil' about me...  Started appromixately 300, not i struggle to keep weight on.  I lift weights to stay healthy.  If you are lifting and making it cardio there is no point in running on a treadmill.

I have been maintaing between 95 and 124 for over 7 years.  And remember getting there is the easy part, keeping it from coming back will ne your hardest challenge. I have faith in you that you will be successful and my prayers are with you... :)

~belle 

jlmartin
on 5/31/11 1:02 am - Random Lake, WI
Funny that yesterday was my 5 year surgiversary.  Here is my advice.

1)  CALORIES ARE KING.  Find out how many you need to stay the same weight and eat that amount.

2)  EXCERCISE LIKE IT'S YOUR NEW RELIGION.  If you're asking the question "how can I lose a few pounds?" make the answer: train for a triathalon

3)  RECOGNIZE YOUR FOOD ADDICTION.  There is a difference between eating because you have to and eating because you want to.  I say, as long as you can do #1 you will be fine; when you can't seek professional help.

AButterfly
on 5/31/11 1:59 am
 2 1/2 years out but still wanted to put out my input... when you get to goal weight.. dont stop! dont think you have gained a license to eat everything you want... maintain a range... mines is between 120-125 pounds.. if you get above that, stop and focus! its easier to loose 1 pound thant 5, or even 10... right now I am at 130 and working hard to get back... I model now (who would of known?!) so I have to keep it really skinny... but just keep going... weight loss surgery isnt a "diet"... its a "lifetime commitment" and you need to work at it every day... good luck!!!! 
"Just when the caterpillar thought its life was over... it became A Butterfly"     5'8

SW: 250lbs.. GW: 140.. Goal in 9 months.. LW: 114lbs.. CW: 130lbs.. New GW: 120lbs..

Not the Same Dawn
on 5/31/11 5:10 am - BEE EFF EEE, CA
I'm nearly 5 years out..Here is my input:

Always dense protein first. measure all your foods until you can do it by eye. White carbs are completely out. Bread to a minimum and keep it the best quality you can muster..

Plenty of water..but not with meals, Wait at least a half hour to drink.

Always eat breakfast but make it protein rich.

For exercise, move more. Park further away from the market, further away than you normally do. Find activities that get you moving. Don't sit around, do something..Less time on the computer, more time doing yard work, walking the dog, cleaning the house..
Yes, RNY worked for me but it also requires a lot of work from me!

Before Surgery: 214
Highest Weight: 240
Now: 125.6
Goal: 130
vixxen36
on 6/9/11 6:05 am - Anoka, MN
This is great, kind of what my guide lines are, I don't do diet foods but I fill up fast and try to eat good foods... I have to watch snacking, but I try to eat nuts dried fruits ..
The whole moving around is the truth, I am much more active than I ever was..
vitalady
on 5/31/11 5:36 am - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
OK, i just wrote it all out the other day, can't find it.

But goes like this, some of it in a signed contract with my doc.

1. 6+ protein drinks/day, 30g, all under 200 cal, made with water

2. vites with food, food with vites, at least 5 batches per day. 4-6 meals, 2 more meal-like, the rest more snack like

3. labs for life, every 6 months

4. doc visits annually once we got past a coupla years

5. no milk (cheeses ok)

6. no sugar. Meaning single digit per meal, so if my entire meals contains 9g, I'm good

7. meals are 15 minutes, unless totally social, but even so, the food goes away. I either remove the plate, or if I'm on the run, baggie up my portion and run. No grazing

8. water is water. Anything else is no****er.

9. stay in support groups. Never missed one month. Either at home or on the road, we meet with others of our kind for accountability

When I have broken the sugar rule, regain is the price I pay. I can undo it by going back on the straight and narrow.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

webinfochick
on 7/3/11 1:27 pm - brunswick, GA
This list is great! I have a couple questions. What kind of food do you eat with your vitamins? What (how much) vitamins do you take? Do you drink with meals? If you drink 6 protein drinks a day, do you still eat regular meals?

I have been pretty horrible about sticking to things, but I really want to get back on track. I do drink with meals, but that is because I am always thirsty. I was tested for diabetes, but I do not have it. I am just a thristy lady.

I am lactose intolerant, so the no milk thing is not a big deal. I do like my carbs. In fact, I am a carboholic. That is my biggest problem.

Sorry for asking so many questions, but I am so worried about back sliding. I want to do well with the tool given to me.

Take care,
Alicia
Alicia
5'5"
240/133/125

vitalady
on 7/4/11 3:52 pm - Puyallup, WA
RNY on 10/05/94
Whatever meal I'm eating. I take my iron with fruit, but otherwise, my vites go with my meals.

My protein drinks are separate, like a beverage. I use them before meals to cut my "wanter'.

I don't drink WITH meals as a habit. If the food is dry, I will sip. Drinking with my meals quadrupled my volume - not a good idea for a volume eater like me. I hydrate well before I eat. And wait only til I am done, dishes are moved or I have moved, so then I drink when I cannot eat moire food immediately.

I remind myself: keep my carbs - keep my wt. Lose the carbs, lose the wt. Simple rule to keep me pretty nearly on track or bring me back when I fall.

Michelle
RNY, distal, 10/5/94 

P.S.  My year + long absence has NOTHING to do with my WLS, or my type of WLS. See my profile.

webinfochick
on 7/5/11 2:46 am - brunswick, GA
Thanks! I am "jumping back on the horse" today. I have had quite a bit of water, a protein drink, and only 2 carbs so far today. I am trying to keep it from 20-30 carbs a day. Since carbs are my addiction, it is probably better for me to stay away.

Thanks,
Alicia
Alicia
5'5"
240/133/125

Most Active
Recent Topics