Relationship Issues with My Husband after wls

Bartlettcowgirl
on 7/21/11 2:14 am - Bartlett, TX
RNY on 06/27/06 with

Anyone Having Relationship Issues Since wls? [Edit Post]
posted 27 minutes ago
 Since my wls on June 27, 2006, my only bad result from my wls has been the effect on my marriage.  My husband and I are currently separated (emotionally and physically) because he is jealous of the attention I get from others.  I've been doing some research about the condition of narcissim.  My husband fits the true definition of a narcisst.   I have thought about leaving our relationship for over a year now because of the constant condensending tone of voice he uses when he talks to me. He constantly berates me and has actually grabbed my arm in anger. I'm so afraid of him now.  I'm going to make one last effort for my husband and I to go to a marriage therapist.  Unfortunately, I've read that there's NO cure for people who have narcisstic tendencies.  But after 46 yrs of marriage, I still have to try for my own peace of mind.
The typical narcisst has an inferior complex and feels that he/she has to be a bragger or omnipotent...better than anyone else to feel superior than those he/she are around.  Since I've lost over 150 lbs, I feel great that I can do so much more than I used to.  I regularly walk 5 miles 3-4 times a week. The therapist that I went to works with bartiatric patients and when I told her about my situation, she suggested that I leave this toxic marriage.  It's so scary though since I'm 63 yrs old and have never lived on my own.  I'm so torn as to what to do.  I've been living with my twin sister in CA who has been  very supportive of me.
If any of you out there have a similar situation, I would love to hear from you.  

0 Responses to "Anyone Having Relationship Issues Since wls?"

Be the first to comment!  

Leave a comment:

Warm Hugs, Janet 
Not the Same Dawn
on 7/21/11 9:17 am - BEE EFF EEE, CA

My husband did have some issues with jealousy but nothing to this extent..He felt that he wasn't good enough or that I wanted to find someone *better* than him..He eventually sought therapy and only needed one session to find out that his mind set was in error..I hope you get what you want. I know it's a hard thing for your spouse to change or keep up with what has happened to us after surgery. I had to constantly remind him that I love him..I still do but it's been worth it. After 24 years we're more in love than we've ever been..

Good luck to you.

Yes, RNY worked for me but it also requires a lot of work from me!

Before Surgery: 214
Highest Weight: 240
Now: 125.6
Goal: 130
Bartlettcowgirl
on 7/26/11 11:42 am - Bartlett, TX
RNY on 06/27/06 with
 Hu Dawn,

Unfortunately, I don't think that therapy will help him if he's truly diagnosed as someone with narcessitic tendencies.  I have done a lot of research on people who are narcisstic.  The biggest obstacle will be getting my husband to admitting that he has this problem as these kind of people rarely admit that they have a problem as they believe that their "false self" is perfect  in every way.  As I stated in my original post, I'm going to give him a chance with the bariatric therapist that I went to in hopes that she's treated spouses of wls patients who have this condition.
In the mean time, I've been living with my twin sister in CA (I'm from TX).  
I will post again after my husband and I have tried the counseling.

Thanks for your support.

Jan
Warm Hugs, Janet 
Not the Same Dawn
on 7/26/11 11:54 am - BEE EFF EEE, CA
If he's been diagnosed, that's truly sad..There is always hope but both sides have to want to try.
Yes, RNY worked for me but it also requires a lot of work from me!

Before Surgery: 214
Highest Weight: 240
Now: 125.6
Goal: 130
Taminator
on 7/22/11 12:17 am - MS
Some men can't handle having a "normal" wife. In addition to other issues, I found that when I lost weight my ex-husband became condescending to me and generally I truly believe it was because of my weight loss. He'd always been with larger women and through talking with him I came to believe that with a larger woman they aren't as insecure because no one will "want" them so they' feel better about themselves. That's his issue, not yours. I don't condone just leaving a marriage without effort and it looks as if you're doing that. Then again, you shouldn't have to be in physical fear of him either. You look at your heart and it will lead you in the right direction.
Taminator
on 7/22/11 12:20 am - MS
I don't believe I was clear a moment ago. I said I don't condone just leaving a marriage without effort and it looks as if you're doing that. What should've been stated is that I don't condone just leaving a marriage (as your therapist suggested) without effort and it looks as if you're doing that (giving it effort, not leaving without effort).
Most Active
Recent Topics