what should I expect

texasgirl55
on 11/17/11 2:10 am - Katy, TX
I lost almost 18 lbs while I was on the liquid diet and since I have been off of it (two weeks) I have only lost about 3 lbs.  I would like to hear from some of you about how your weight loss progressed because I feel mine is very slow to have gone through a gastric bypass.
dawnab
on 11/17/11 4:02 am - Stockport, IA
That is 1 1/2 lbs a week.  That's GREAT!  Slow and steady is the best way to lose.  I have heard people say their weight "fell-off".  Mine never did.  I worked for each ounce. At almost four years I am down from a size 22 to a 4/6.  Don't fret if you don't lose each day or week.  Your body is going through a big change.
Dawna
texasgirl55
on 11/17/11 4:48 am - Katy, TX
Wow a size 4/6, good for you.  I guess I was just a little discouraged because I am exercising like crazy so I thought that would make my weight come off faster.  You are right though I don't want to lose too fast.  I have this thing I wear on my upper arm called Body Media and I love it.  It tells me how many steps I take each day and I put in my meals every day and it breaks it down and gives me a pie chart so I can see how much protein carbs and fat I have had for the day.  I even wear it at night sometimes to see how much sleep I am getting.  I even fell asleep in my recliner during the day one time and it showed how long I had dozed off!  It just gives me a little more incentive each day to go that extra step or to watch what I am eating.  Thanks for getting back to me on this.  It is so encouraging and reassuring when I can 'talk' to someone who has been through this before.  I will keep up with what I am doing and enjoy the journey.
Not the Same Dawn
on 11/17/11 11:25 am - BEE EFF EEE, CA
A month out? It's my personal opinion but I think you put too much stock in that stupid number on the scale right now..You're exercising and building muscle..that weighs more than fat but it's smaller than the same weight in fat..You're losing inches and gaining muscle..

The whole idea of this surgery is to be healthy..not to get to a number on the scale..Don't look at that number right now or it will drive you batty..Work on following the rules, moving more, getting healthy and getting your mental game in order. When you get down to your goal weight you'll have alot more mental challenges than just the number on the scale..Trust me.

Yes, RNY worked for me but it also requires a lot of work from me!

Before Surgery: 214
Highest Weight: 240
Now: 125.6
Goal: 130
texasgirl55
on 11/18/11 7:01 am - Katy, TX
You are right I think I may even hide my scale!  And I can feel the difference exercise is making not only in body but my attitude is also better.  I am amazed at how much support and good advice you guys give me and I appreciate it. 
Patti ATX
on 11/18/11 2:19 am - Austin, TX
RNY on 06/16/09 with
If you would like my humble opinion, STAY OFF THE SCALE...Do everything right and that is all yiou can do.  I went from 265 size 22 to 140 size 4 and a 8% or lower body fat.  I am competing in my 2nd body buidling competition and I did not have cosmetic surgery.   List to your body, weight your food, track your food, drink lots of water and follow the rules.  The scale is EVIL...Stay away and just do what you know is right.  You can do it. 
texasgirl55
on 11/18/11 7:10 am - Katy, TX

That is my new motto, The scale is evil!!!  I am a worrier I always have been and being only a month out I have so many questions and I love that everyone is so eager to help.  Kudos on the bodybuilding and I am encouraged by the fact that you didn't have any cosmetic surgery.  I am following all the rules the hardest thing for me is getting all my water in because I never drank much before but I manage to do okay with it.  I will stop stressing and enjoy the trip and look forward to all the healthy days to follow.  Thanks

Monica M.
on 11/25/11 7:14 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

here is a chart of realistic expectations that was provided to me by someone in my support group.

For patients weighing 200 to 250 lbs.

10 lbs. in first 10 days
15 to 25 lbs. in 6 weeks
25 to 35 lbs. in 3 months
35 to 45 lbs. in 6 months
60 lbs. or more in 1 year
70 lbs. or more in 18 months

For patients weighing 250 to 300 lbs.
10 to 12 lbs. in first 10 days
15 to 25 lbs. in 6 weeks
25 to 35 lbs. in 3 months
45 to 60 lbs. in 6 months
80 lbs. or more in 1 year
90 lbs. or more in 18 month

For patients weighing 300 to 400 lbs.
10 to 30 lbs. in first 10 days
25 to 45 lbs. in 6 weeks
35 to 55 lbs. in 3 months
50 to 80 lbs. in 6 months
100 lbs. or more in 1 year
120 lbs. or more in 18 monthsee

For patients weighing 400 to 500 lbs.
10 to 30 lbs. in first 10 days
25 to 45 lbs. in 6 weeks
35 to 60 lbs. in 3 months
50 to 90 lbs. in 6 months
120 lbs. or more in 1 year
150 lbs. or more in 18 months

texasgirl55
on 11/25/11 10:08 am - Katy, TX

I told him I wanted to lose it slowly so he did the surgery accordingly now I am wondering if I should have said anything to him.  While I was on the liquid diet and puree portion I lost about 15 lbs and in the last three weeks I have only lost 3 lbs.  I even went to my nutritionist and she said I was pretty much doing everything I should.  She did add flax oil to my protein shake.  I am exercising and working so hard and feeling like I something is wrong.  I even gained a pound one day!  Now I don't look at the scale.  I started out at 218 so I should be in that first group.Anyone else have these early non losing weight days?

Monica M.
on 11/25/11 10:41 am - Penetanguishene, Canada
it's normal to hit stalls. I dont know what the doctor could have done to make you lose slower than others. Did you have an RNY? 

Many many people have a stall at 3 weeks. In the early stages of recovery from WLS, there is absolutely no way that you cannot lose weight.

What was yoru BMI starting out? here in canada,  you can't get WLS except for the band, unless your BMI is 35 with comorbidities, or 40 without.

Most Active
Recent Topics