Almost 8 years out...and bulimic?

cadler18
on 11/29/11 9:43 am - Mundelein, IL
Hi All,

I'm reaching out to this wonderful community...Although I have not stayed active posting on the boards, I always find comfort in reading posts and responses.  So, if you can bear with me, I'd love your insights.  

As probably the only RNY patient who never "felt" their pouch and was always hungry, I had an internal hernia and a more typical hernia corrected 2 years ago--I had developed lots of scar tissue and my internal hernia had actually "sucked up" some of my intestine so I was feeling a partial blockage.  The surgery was successful but about 6 months later, I started to "feel my pouch", often too late meaning I would eat too much and then end up vomitting.  After 6 years of consuming more food that I probably should have, I can no longer eat what I used to...Strange, but true. 

While that's great, I can't seem to regulate my diet.  It's like I'm going through mourning and obsess about food.  The problem comes in around 7:00pm or so every night when I end up vomitting most of my afternoon/evening food.  While I feel much better, I know this isn't healthy.  Which, is why I've already had an upper GI and a gastric emptying test.  All my "plumbing" is intact--yay!  So, that leads me to the question...is this bulimia?  How can I get control?  With being 8 years out, I can hardly remember how "much" food/protein is recommended daily...

Has anyone experienced anything so weird?  BTW, I see my surgeon next week.  I really wish there was support groups for WLS grads!!!

Appreciate your time and thoughts...

Lakelover
240 / 159 / 140
Start / Current / Goal

josannee
on 11/29/11 1:55 pm
Leslie, I am seven years out and have maintained my weight loss, however, I consider myself a food addict for life. I have found a spiritual, emotional, mental and physical healing needs to pursued for the rest of my life. Food is still soothing, like shopping and drinking. If you suspect there is an emotional reason for throwing up your food, or even if you just have ignored the signals that you have eaten too much and are miserable which leads to throwing up, you might want to get into counseling. I go to an AA meeting for women only and find the 12 steps keeping me honest about why I am eating, shopping, drinking. You need to find some kind of support. On a side note, I have been taking Probiotics for a couple of months and that has really helped me out. God bless your journey!
Ruby R.
on 11/30/11 7:35 am
please tell me how probiotics have helped you.  what kind do you take.  i really do not know they are.  i eat lots of yogurt
ruby
rny 3/2005
262/125/135
hi/lo/today
5'1"

Tammi C.
on 12/12/11 11:46 am - Longmont, CO
Hi,
I had my surgery in Dec. 04.  It took me about 8 months to figure out how much food I could eat and get used to my new stomache.  I took weight off slowly and completly lost my obsession for food.  As a matter of fact I forget to eat, which I would have never ever imagined could be possible.  Bad news is I cross addicted to alcohol before I even realized what had happened.  The only way thing that I have found to work, as one of the other responders expressed, is a 12 step meeting.  Not just attending but literally working the steps.  I have found (for a visual) that my spirit had holes in it.  Addiction is just that.  If your reading the other blogs you will see the theme.  ADDICTION. 

It has taken me to get committed to a program that helps me fill in those spiritual holes so I can live in my own integrity.  In the mean time I still need to take responsibility for taking care of my physical body.

I do worry about not getting enough nurtrition.  I take supplements however, I am always low on iron.  I am good about eating protein in my choices of food before I get full on other food.  Each day is a new experience for me when it comes to eating.  Some days I can eat alot of food.  Other days I just can't put much down.  I continue to work on getting into a relationship with my body.  I could post so much more about what I have experienced on this WL journey. 

I would be happy to email any body who has any questions or I would love to ask them some questions as well.

Best regards and thank you for posting.
Most Active
Recent Topics