Obstruction HELP

Jen F.
on 5/26/12 10:45 pm - Brazoria, TX
 I just returned from the ER. I had horrible pain last night with vomiting & diharrea. They did a cat scan and I have paralytic Ileus and severe inflamation of the colon. My white cell count was 32 whereas a normal persons is 13. The doctor asked if I wanted to stay for observation but didn't seem to think it was really necessary so they gave me flagil (sp) & cipro and I came home. Now I am wondering if I did the right thing. I didn't understand that I had a bowel obstruction. I know he wouldn't have aloowed me to go if he thought it was that severe but you know how it is, most doctors don't know the difference when dealing with a gastric bypass patient. 
Thoughts please? Should I wait it out to see if it gets better or head to the hospital I had my surgery at 4 years ago? 
nascar24n48
on 5/27/12 9:07 am
I was told if I ever thought I had an obstruction to check myself into the ER where I had my RNY surgery. That way my RNY surgeon would get called and can check it out for himself and if I need another surgery he could do it.

Preop 242  Height 5'4"  Current: 145 Want to get back to 135. ZERO Complications! ZERO Vomiting  (Chew, chew, chew)! ZERO Regrets!

Kricket68inWA
on 6/4/12 11:07 pm
I had RNY done in 2002. Went through severe pain and small bowel obstructions to finally find out I had an internal hernia (something only RNY patients can get apparently). Mine was called a mesenteric defect internal hernia. I had it repaired in 2005 and then it came back and was operated on again in 2007. Just a thought.

~Kricket68inWA

Most Active
Recent Topics