Anybody tried Phentermine AFTER WLS?

lac123
on 6/10/12 8:33 am - TX
RNY on 06/30/08 with
The nine pounds that have crept up over the last year, since I stopped working out, are bugging me, and I want to do something before it becomes 19 or 29 pounds.  I know working out is the ideal way to get back to my normal weight, but I just hate it.  Has anyone tried any of the appetite suppressants after surgery and how did it go?  

You know, if I have to do something like this once every few years to stay at my normal weight, I think I'm okay with that.  Has to be safer than gaining it all back and having another surgery.

jlmartin
on 6/11/12 12:06 am - Random Lake, WI
I'm pretty sure it will be as effective after surgery as before...meaning not very.

Calorie restriction and excercise are proven to work; nothing else does.  When you think about it; WLS is surgically enforced calorie restriction.  I would suggest you start to view excercise like showering and brushing your teeth:  it's just something that needs to be done.

ANGELA H.
on 6/16/12 1:00 am - PLANT CITY, FL

I have been on it for about 3 months now...the first month I lost 15 pounds and the second I didn't loose anything(I also didn't gain and had a very long trip to Disney)  this last month I lost 8 pounds..What I find it does for me is gives me energy which allows me to do more and burn more calories. I don't see that it does alot for suppressing my appetite but alot of mine is head/emotional hunger. I had WLS in 2006 and have struggled to get my last 50 off but am finally making progess. If I was exercising daily it would probably be doing better but I am just not great at that. Hope this helps... 

351/243/185

Lori F.
on 9/14/12 7:03 pm
Angela,
Did you gastric bypass doctor approve this and provide the prescription, or did you have to go thru another doctor?  And is it safe to take?  Cost?
ANGELA H.
on 9/15/12 5:05 am - PLANT CITY, FL
Wow! I forgot I posted this...I got the approval for it through my bypass Dr. who works closely with my regular Dr. My bypass Dr is in Tampa and about an hour from me so I don't see him regularly but I see my reg Dr every 3 weeks for my B12 shot, monthly checkup, blood work etc. I am like the child she never had so I am montinitored very closely. I have been on Phentermine since March and I have gone from 257 to 209. I am also working out by vigorous walking about an hour a day on the treadmill and I am doing a very careful and strict food plan. I have had alot of trouble with different protein powders over the years and some actually cause me to gain weight however I have found a brand called Lean1 that you can get either online or at Smoothie King. It has a blend of different proteins and not just whey, casein etc. I do one shake in the morning for breakfast, a danon light n fit greek yogurt (80 cal) for snack then another shake for lunch, and for dinner I have a salmon fillet or tilapia fillet with 2/3 c snap peas. I also do about 2 TBSP of yogurt covered raisins between lunch and dinner. That's it other than lots of water and I do drink one Vitamin Water Zero XXX a day after my treadmill workout. I am very pleased with my results and this is the first thing that has worked for me, but I am also combining all this with going to a counselor to make sure I am working through my issues and finding other ways to deal with stress, anxiety, depression etc so that I don't resort back to eating when I am done. I am finally ready for this weight loss journey to be over. The cost of the pill for me is $5.00 a month but I only take half of a pill a day per my RX. I am very happy and excited that I am finally back on track but it's not just the pill that's doing it. It's everything combined, the working out, food plan, counselor and pill.

351/243/185

Kattin
on 6/24/12 7:09 pm - WA
Please do not use this drug. I used it several years ago & ended up with Aortic Regurgitation (leaky heart valve) & early CHF. All of the diet drugs have a stimulent to make you active & a suppresant for appetite. Yes I did lose some weight, but the weight creeps back on & I'm left with heart damage that's irreversable(sp).
I have regained 40 lbs since GBS on 2007. I'm very frustrated with myself & now will go back to the very beggining & do what I did right out of surgery & the months following. I have fibromyalgia which has made me a insomniac, I'm on 2 meds that cause weight gain. Seems like I can't get a break, but I know I myself is to blame. Our brain didn't have surgery so we have to reprogram it. It's hard to undo the years that we were putting junk in our bodies. We need to eat right way.
We can do this!!
Take care,
Kathy
Kathy
Proximal Rny Mar. 8th 2007 Dr Oh
Pre Surg. 239,lowest 135 current 162 ,goal 145
5ft 2 in 

mzsreecee
on 7/3/12 4:46 pm - Springfield, VA
I found that I had to return to what I was doing soon after surgery and that I had gotten a little lax. I have re-introduced shakes to my daily routine and the energy and weight loss is AWESOME. Check this out -- http://blessedhands.myvi.net . I started with one shake per day and it reminded me of how I ate right after surgery. I didnt want to feel like I couldnt eat whenever I wanted -- but I also didnt want to gain. If you want to lose -- I moved to the Transformation Kit and I am excited at the weight loss. The best part is my Personal Trainer has done a lot of research and my Nutritionist supported it.

Best Wishes!
 "I have been sleeved" (3/25/08) ....MzsReeCee 274/250/192 - Don't let the number fool you -- I have moved into weight lifting and the fat has been replaced by muscle in so many places. We still have 42 lbs to go!
Most Active
Recent Topics