Almost 3 years out and hair starting to fall out again

Emily D.
on 6/22/12 9:58 pm - MD
 Alright, so I had my rny in July of 2009. I had a normal amount of hair thinning and it stopped in a normal amount of time. I wish I could say for certain when it stopped but I am not sure, probably before a year out. A few  weeks, maybe a month or two ago, I noticed more hair coming out when I take a shower. I  attribute it to my less than careful diet of low-protien foods from the week before and the stress because I was taking finals (which is why I was not caring too much about my diet.) The only problem is, I now eat like before, with normal protien intake and it still is falling out like crazy. Any ideas? Should I just try to eat more protien or should I contact the doctor right away? I don't want to take biotin because I already have more than enough on the rest of my body.

Thanks!

Leslie P.
on 6/25/12 12:45 pm - Yucca Valley, CA
I would definately contact your doctor.  It may be totally unrelated to your surgery and probably should be checked out as soon as possible.  Better safe than sorry.

High Weight:  394                     Surgery Weight:  345

Here's to never forgetting where I came from so I never have to return...
Miss Liss
on 7/2/12 7:49 am

How long has it been since your last bloodwork was done?  We should get our labs done at least once per year.  Some people go every 3 months, but I haven't found that necessary.  I was told we have to eat larger than normal amounts of protein due to the malabsorption.  When I slack on protein, my hair will start falling out.  There are other deficiencies that affect the hair as well so getting a full set of labs is probably a good idea.  Hope you find out what it is.  Share with us what you find out.

zlynnc
on 7/31/12 3:34 am - BEAUFORT, NC
Hows the hair loss now...Mine started a year ago, again.  But I also bottom out on my Iron and had to have infussions in June.  It is still falling out though but I am back on my vitamins.

Beginning weight: 284  
Surgery weight: 251
Current weight: 149

Most Active
Recent Topics